Melodies

Chapter 16: Kell

I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my door. I sat up quickly, confused by the darkness. "Wha?"

Jamie came in, flipping on the light. I squinted, my eyes burning from the sudden harshness.

"I called Dr. Thompson. And I went to the nurse."

"What did you tell them?"

I moved over so he could join me in my bed. He laid back, his legs hanging off the edge. "I just told the nurse that I had a headache. I told Dr. Thompson what I did, though. He just wants me to go to 3 therapy sessions a week, instead of 1. I don't have to go back to the clinic or anything."

"That's good. Thank you for telling him."

He stared up at my ceiling. "Kell, do you feel attractive?"

"Um, sometimes. Sometimes I just feel like I need to hide under the bed for ten years."

"I feel like I should hide under the bed for the rest of my life right now."

"Well, don't. I'd miss you."

"Kell?"

"Yeah?"

"I have a date Saturday."

"With who?"

"One of the guys from the county school's swim team. He was at the meet when I went with Elliot and Siara. His name is Emery."

"Is he cute?"

"Yeah."

"Does he have a slightly younger brother?"

Jamie laughed and pushed at my legs, sitting up. "Find your own boys. I'm going to bed, there's stuff in the fridge from last night."

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow."

He shut my door behind himself, giving me privacy. I reached for my phone and turned it on. I had three missed calls, all from Courtney. I didn't want to talk to her. I wanted Kim, or maybe Sydney. But Kim was probably in the middle of a workout, and I didn't feel that I knew Sydney well enough to just call him.

I set my phone down and turned out the light, belts sprawling out across my mattress, waiting for something to happen.