Melodies

Chapter 17: Sydney

Courtney squeezed little drops of food coloring into different bowls of white icing. I watched, not entirely willing to help her.

She looked at the clock on the oven. "It's nearly 9, should we try to call Kell again?"

"Sure."

"You do it, my hands are full. Just put him on speaker again."

I dialed his number and put it on speaker, holding it out from me so that Courtney could hear. It rang instea of just going to voicemail. Courtney and I exchanged hopeful looks.

He picked up after the fourth ring. "H'lo?" He sounded like he just woke up. It was really kind of cute.

Courtney leaned over a little bit more. "Hey cutie, are you feeling better?"

"Yeah, it was just a bad day. There was a Jamie thing too, but he told his doctor and they're increasing his therapy. So I'm not too freaked out right now."

"Yeah, but knowing you, you'll have a panic attack about it in the middle of the night."

He laughed, and coughed. It sounded rough and adorable. "You're probably right."

"Hey, Sydney told me that Juice broke."

There was a slight pause. "Yeah. The little pole inside it snapped, so it's going to collapse."

"Sorry honey. Are you getting another rental?"

"Probably. I don't think I can afford to actually buy one yet."

"Well, make sure they give you a good one."

I stuck a cigarette in my mouth and lit the tip, listening to the two of them talk. Then Courtney pulled her bullshit.

"Hey, you know who was really worried about you?"

"Let me guess...no one?"

"Sydney."

The cigarette fell from my mouth, burning my arm. I glared at Courtney as I got situated once again.

"Was he really?"

"Yeah."

"No, I'm sure he wasn't. You're lying."

"I'm not. You should ask him out sometime, you guys would be cute together."

"I don't know. What if something happened and we still had to do the duet and everything? It would be awkward. And anyway, of anyone's going to be asking anyone out, he should ask me."

She gave me a look that expressed her own confusion. "Why?"

"I like to be treated like a proper lady." He laughed at himself for a minute, and then quieted. "Hey, is Kim with you or is she at the gym?"

"She's playing some stupid game. Want me to tell her to call you?"

"Yes please. I'm hanging up now, if she can't call me, just call me back in a few minutes. I think it might be a bad night, and I may want someone to talk me through it."

He hung up, and I stared at Courtney. She set down her food coloring and walked past me, to tell Kim to call Kell. She stuck her tongue out at me on her way. "Ask him out Sydney. He's interested!"