Melodies

Chapter 19: Sydney

Kell was in class the next day, looking tired but less tense than usual. He was listening to Elizabeth talk excitedly about her date with Kim on Saturday. I was actually surprised to see Elizabeth so animated, considering how quiet and withdrawn she normally seemed. I guess she had a connection with Kell that allowed her to be so expressive around him, because as soon as I joined them, she spoke softer and used less facial signals.

I took the seat next to Kell, setting my notebook on the desk. "Hot date, Elizabeth?"

She smiled, but just nodded in response. Fortunately, Kell picked the conversation up. He smiled at each of us, a playful look in his eye. "Jamie's got a date Saturday, Kim and Elizabeth are going out, Courtney's working. I don't know what I'm going to do all by myself."

"Maybe we should do something. We could go look at instruments? I feel like my presence is somehow what killed your viola."

"I doubt it, but I'd be okay with going to look at stuff." He smiled at me, blushing ever-so-slightly as he agreed to it.

"Cool. I'll find out when I'm working and text you."

"Sounds fun." He smiled again, then turned around when Ms. Jackson started attendance. I kind of grinned stupidly at him for a minute until I noticed Elizabeth looking at me strangely, like she was analyzing me. I looked down, waiting for my name to be called.

The rest of the day kind of flew by, although I'll never really understand how Chem can "fly by." Courtney sent out a mass text, telling everyone to go over after school for Friday night fun. Alex, Ashton, and Brittany all bummed a ride from me, and Elizabeth rode with Kim. Jamie dropped Kell off sometime around 7, telling him to call if he would be out past midnight.

We kind of goofed off, mostly in the kitchen and basement, until we all somehow ended up in the living room. Courtney began the whole ordeal, looking at Brittany. "Truth or dare?"

Brittany narrowed her eyes in consideration. "Hm...dare."

Courtney thought for a minute, until she glanced at me. I knew immediately what she was going to say. Someone always uses this dare against me.

"I dare you to put your socks down Sydney's shirt."

I have no weird problem with feet, or socks. I just hate Brittany's feet. They, and everything they touch, smell like tragedy and decay.

Brittany laughed and rolled her socks off. If I hadn't just put a lit cigarette in my mouth, I would have moved sooner. As I didn't want to burn Courtney's house down, I tried to move away from Brittany with minimum action, causing great failure on my part.

I pulled her socks from my shirt, gagging slightly. Everyone laughed, and I just threw her socks at Courtney. "Fucking bitch."

She stuck her tongue out. "That's what you get for smoking in my house." I rolled my eyes. She ignored me. "Brittany, your turn."

"Okay. Elizabeth, truth of dare?"

"Truth."

"Why did you transfer from county schools?"

Elizabeth shrugged. "A group of guys started picking on me at ACHS. They just said shit in the halls, you know. But then, after a football game I went to with some friends, they got me in the parking lot. They started shit, and I decided it was time to get away from that."

Kim looked particularly empathetic, but Elizabeth just shook it off. "Sydney, truth or dare?"

I took the cigarette from my mouth and breathed out smoke as I replied. "Dare, I guess."

Elizabeth was silent for a moment. Kim leaned in, whispering in her ear softly. Elizabeth replied just a quietly, looking slightly hesitant. Kim nodded to whatever they were discussing.

Elizabeth turned to me again. "We dare you to kiss Kell."

I tried to not react too outwardly. Kell's cheeks were burning brightly as I gestured him over. He moved from his seat next to Courtney on the floor to the empty spot by me on the couch. The entire time this was happening, everyone was yelling out at us, cheering us on and making faces. When I took his jaw in my palm, though, everyone hushed.

I leaned in and kissed Kell chastely, not wanting to make too big of a deal out of it at the moment. His lips were incredibly soft, and he tasted like sprite and fruit. I felt bad, knowing my lips were chapped and I tasted like smoke. He didn't seem to mind too much, though. He smiled at me, looking adorable as soon as we pulled away.

The cheering and yelling resumed. Kell didn't move, much to my pleasure, he stayed right next to me. I waited for everyone to die down before picking on Courtney.

"Courtney. Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"You suck. Okay...uh, have you ever been intimate with a girl?"

"Yep, a few times, but only for experimentation. Kell, truth or dare?"

"Uh, dare."

I knew that Courtney would be both helpful and a bitch about this. I was proven right when she smirked and said, "I dare you and Sydney to do 7 minutes in heaven."
♠ ♠ ♠
This took a predictable, stupid turn, but I guess it keeps things going. Comment and subscribe, and read!