Melodies

Chapter 25: Sydney

When Kell answered the door, something was off. He was extremely attractive, as always, and greeting me with a smile, but something was just wrong. He was taller than he should have been.

I looked down at his feet. "Are you wearing heels?"

He giggled and stepped out of them, inviting me in while he slipped on another pair of shoes. "Jamie and I were messing around before he left. I just hadn't taken them off yet."

"I just wondered why you were so much taller."

The rest of the night was amazing. We didn't actually go look at instruments as planned, because they weren't open that late. But we still had an awesome time. Or at least, I did. I hope Kell enjoyed it as much as I did.

We went and saw a kids' movie. It was late enough that there weren't any actual kids seeing it, and there were only a few other people in the theater. We sat in the way back, where no one else could really see us.

Kell kept reacting to the movie so expressively, which was precious, and kind of different from what I expected. It wa actually kind of what Jude 'predicted.' I was used to Kell at school, working hard and looking stressed. I wasn't used to Kell looking like he was actually having a good time, but I loved it. He kept nearly jumping out of his seat, grabbing my shirt and hand, exclaiming at the stupidity of the movie. He probably entertained me more than any movie could have.

We went to dinner at a little Italian restaurant, nothing fancy. We managed to discover a lot about each other through little games like 2 truths and a lie and 20 questions.

It turns out we both love Kevin Smith movies and Sublime. Kell's mom sent him to a 6 week engineering camp last summer, and he discovered he hated engineering more than anything. He doesn't hate animals, but he doesn't love them, whereas I love pretty much anything that doesn't persistently bite. Neither of us read 1984 this year when it was assigned.

The conversation somehow turned a little bit more serious. "How'd you know you were gay?" I asked. I felt dumb as soon as I said it.

He answered anyway, seeming okay with the question. "I've always identified as slightly more feminine than most guys. And when I would watch Disney movies and stuff, I always skipped ahead and just watched the parts with the princes because I liked them. I already told you I did stuff with a girl. That was like, 8th grade. It just wasnt really all that exciting or anything. Then this guy transferred into our school system and I always felt weird around him, and I eventually just figured it out."

He brightened up a little bit more and sat up straighter. "What about you?"

"Well, Courtney, being the bitch she is, texted me a bunch of gay porn one night. I guess she thought I'd be grossed out or something, but, surprise, I got a hard-on. I've never really liked girls that much. They just seem too artificial or something. It just never occurred to me before to think that I might like guys."

Kell smiled. "I'm glad that you do."

I smiled back, like some kind of dumbass. "Me too."

I dropped him off sometime around 11. I even walked him up to the door, feeling particularly like I needed to treat him well.

He looked up at me from under thick eyelashes. "This was really fun."

I nodded. "Yeah, it was."

"We should do it again."

"Definitely."

He tip-toed and leaned up, kissing me for a moment. I found myself frustrated when he pulled away, beginning to open the door. "I should go in before Jamie comes out and tries to get all protective. I'll see you at school Monday?"

I grabbed his wrist quickly, stopping him so I could kiss him for just another minute. I pulled away first this time, smiling at him like an idiot. "I'll text you."

I guess it showed how happy I was when I got home. Mom just grinned and shook her head.

"I haven't seen you this happy in a long time. It's nice. You should see this boy more often."