Melodies

Chapter 3: Sydney

I don't really mind that I somehow got involved with doing a duet with Kell. I didn't want to volunteer for it, because honestly, compared to the other people doing it, I kinda suck. But once Mr. Kitching called me out, I was pretty happy, really. The fact that my partner is Kell only extends that happiness. When he looked at me and shrugged, biting his lip like he does, I could only grin like a moron.

Which I am.
...whatever.

After class, I pack up and sling the strap of the case over my shoulder, opting to carry my backpack in my hand. Mr. Kitching had Kell and I stay after a little bit, so he could discuss what we were playing, give us the date, all that lovely stuff. Kell walks up to the front stand too, with his bag on his back, weighing him down, and his case in his hand. Violas are generally bigger than violins, but he's smaller than me, so our cases are about the same size.

Mr. Kitching looks up from something, whatever he's looking at, and smiles again. "Thank you so much, both of you. We really needed another duet or we just couldn't have had anyone in the showcase at all."

Kell blinks, looking bored and exhausted. "That's ridiculous."

Mr. Kitching nods, completely oblivious to Kell's attitude. "They're thinking about changing that for next year, but for now, we can only work with it. Now, Sydney, you take lessons with me on Wednesdays, and Kell, you take lessons with Mr. Turner, correct?" Kell nods silently. "You are, of course, allowed to rehearse and select a piece without an instructor, but I recommend that you have someone at least help guide you through it. If you'd like, I have some books I can bring in next class, and you can look through those and choose a piece. Or, maybe you could talk to Mr. Turner about bringing Sydney along for a lesson, or maybe even a few? It's up to you boys, you can let me know next class."

We both nod, then leave, kind of awkwardly. Just outside the classroom, where you turn down the hall to get to the back of school, where most kids park/ get picked up, he breathes out loudly. "So. The lessons. My place or yours?" The fact that he says this, in an obviously joking manner, but with such a straight face, makes me laugh.

"I don't have a preference, but knowing that Mr. Kitching isn't great with reading alto clef or anything, I'd say it would be more practical to go with your teacher. Just a guess."

"That sounds reasonable. I go for 45 minutes Tuesday and Wednesday, each at 5:30. I can ask tonight, and then tomorrow, if he's okay with it, you can come too?"

"Sounds fun."

"Cool." He smiles. "I've gotta go, or my ride's gonna ditch me." He runs to catch up with some tall blonde guy, waving over his shoulder at me when the guy links their arms together. I wave back.

I'd have a panic attack about him walking like that with some guy, but I'm pretty sure it was his brother, Jamie something. Courtney said he was adopted when he was twelve and Kell was nine, so they've only been living together for five years, but they seem like they've known each other forever.

Someone comes up behind me and bangs on my violin case, shoving up against me, yelling stupid noises. Immediately, someone else joins him. I sigh, irritated, and shove Alex and Ashton off me. "Fuck off, don't you have women to harass?"

"Hell yes, but you're just lucky enough that we chose you over them today." Alex grins stupidly as Ashton slings an arm over my shoulder.

We're walking outside as Ashton explains what's going on. "See, the thing is, Alex stayed the night because his parents were having 'issues.' But my mom didn't know about it. So she's pretty upset, because she's convinced he's the reason my grades suck. So we both need a place to hide until things cool down. And your house has a full fridge and t.v. See?"

"Yes, unfortunately. I don't have the car today though, so you're walking with me."

They pout at each other while I walk ahead.