Melodies

Chapter 30: Kell

I didn't mean to fall asleep. It just happened. I was actually really surprised that Sydney didn't bother to wake me up. He didn't even look irritated whatsoever, like he sometimes does when I fall asleep during movies. He just smiled at me and kissed me.

We directed our attention back to the movie currently playing. I'd slept through most of Hercules and all of Aladdin, as I was later informed. I woke up right at the beginning of Mulan, thank God. She's my favorite princess.

I curled up tighter against Sydney's chest, silently glad about the cramped chair we were sitting in that forced us to be extremely close together. I directed all of my focus onto the movie, not even looking away to glare at Sydney for laughing at me when I recited the lines in sync with Mulan when she first joined the army.

After Mulan came The Little Mermaid, then The Princess and The Frog, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and we ended with The Lion King. By the time that was through, I was ready to just die, I was so tired. I guess Sydney noticed, because he took me home soon after. When I looked at the time in the car, I saw it was 3 in the morning. I wanted to cry myself to sleep.

Sydney drove me home and walked me in, obeying with a smirk when I told him to come upstairs with me. All I could say was I was so happy that the pipes at school had broken and we wouldn't have to go the next day, or I would have just quit life entirely when my clock told me it was already nearly 4.

I sent Sydney into my room, telling him he should plan on staying the night if he wanted to. I went down the other end of the hall to check in Jamie's room. He was sound asleep, with all the lights off and his blankets thrown onto the floor. I shut the door quietly, even though I knew not much would wake him when he was so tired.

I'd noticed he'd begun to look more sickly lately. He didn't have energy, he phased in and out of insomnia and hypersomnia, he wore thick clothing all the time because he was so cold, and he just flat-out looked miserable. The rapid weight loss was really starting to affect him seriously.

I walked into my own room, shutting the door and looking for Sydney, confused by his absence. I finally looked left and found him going through my CD collection.

He had a stack of CDs next to him. He looked over, smiling at me and holding up a disc case with a questioning look. "Evanescence?"

I rolled my eyes. "Momma got it for me when I was like, twelve. I couldn't just throw it away."

He returned to examining the rest of my music. I joined him on the floor, looking through what he had in the little pile next to him.

"A Skylit Drive, Emarosa, Dance Gavin Dance, Odd Project....why'd you pull these out?"

"'cause I like them."

I looked through the rest of it. "I should have guessed you liked Sublime."

"What do you mean?"

"You just have one of those personality types. You could be a total stoner."

He shrugged. "I'm not going to say I haven't tried any of that."

"But would you do it again?"

"Given the chance....yeah. I'd force it down your throat if I could, just to see you relax."

"Good to know you care about me."

He laughed and let me pull him up, dragging him over to bed with me. "Are you staying?"

"Yeah. Not like I have anything to do tomorrow. I'm all yours for the next...say, eighteen hours."

"Let's spend the first eleven hours sleeping, okay?" I pulled a blanket over me and undid my pants, taking them off. He shamelessly removed both his pants and shirt, crawling under the covers with me and pressing his cold hands to my back.

I jerked away from him, whining about how freezing he was. He just laughed at me and pulled me closer to him, telling me to shut up and go to sleep.

I ended up staying awake a little while though, listening to his breathing even out and focusing on the feeling of his chest against my back. He just felt so...right. I let myself fall asleep after that, perfectly content with being held warm in his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe