Melodies

Chapter 34: Kell

I was so embarrassed that I'd completely lost my self-control in front of Sydney when we were supposed to be rehearsing. He was totally sweet and understanding, though. It surprised me when he figured out that I was sick before I did. I get really emotional when I don't feel well, so I should have known that it wasn't just a normal headache.

He wanted to take me home immediately, but I made him let me wait for the last ten minutes of school to pass so that I wouldn't get a tardy. We packed up, and we were right at the exit in the Fine Arts Wing when the bell rang. Sydney insisted on carrying everything for me, and opening doors for me, and even helping me buckle in his truck.

He fussed over me throughout the entire ride. He stopped at Walgreens really quickly, coming back out with a bottle of water and ibuprofen, making sure I took 4 pills.

He half-grinned sort of nervously at me when I gave him a look for worrying so much. "Sorry. I- it makes me kind of freak out when people get sick. It's like if I can't somehow fix it immediately, they're going to die or something."

He laughed in a spacey way. "You just, I don't know. I don't like to see you feel bad. You're important." He was so out of his element. It was incredibly sweet.

"It's just a headache right now, it's not that bad, honestly. The worst part of it is the PMS thing I seem to have going on. Don't worry."

He pulled out of the parking lot, still babbling kind of nervously. "I can't help but worry. You've looked really tired and upset lately. I just want you to be happy. And, well, healthy."

"I am happy, okay? I have you. You are like, the ultimate anti-depressant."

He turned down my street. "If you say so. I just- I don't know. Fucking hell, you are somehow making me say the stupidest things."

"It's not stupid, it's sweet."

He pulled up in front of our house, eyeing the car that was already in the driveway. "Uh, did you guys get a new car?"

I smiled, already feeling my bad day start to fade a little.

"No. Momma's home."

~~~~~~~

Momma met us at the front door, dressed in a flowing purple dress, wearing her normal, "witchy" jewelry and her glasses. Her hair was a mess as always, but I didn't care. I was just happy she was home.

She smiled and met me halfway, hugging me tightly before pulling back to look at me. "You look so different since the last time I was home. Look at you! You're so much more mature!"

She frowned suddenly. "Why are you home so early? Don't you normally stay after school for tutoring?"

"I felt bad. Sydney brought me home earlier than normal."

I smiled and took her hand, bringing her attention to Sydney, who was standing there awkwardly. "Momma, this is Sydney. This is the guy I told you about."

Sydney stuck out his hand. "It's great to finally meet you, Ms. Anderson."

She shook his hand. "Call me Willa, everyone else does." She looked over him. "So, you're the boy who's doing this duet with Kell?"

Sydney looked slightly panicky. "Yes, ma'am."

She smiled. "Well, I hear you're an exceptional violinist. And you're apparently kind enough to bring my baby home when he's sick. Look at that, you even brought in his bag and case." Momma looked over at me, squeezing my hand. "I think you found a decent one."

I rolled my eyes. "Momma, hush. Don't harass him."

She just smiled at me. "I'll be in the kitchen. You'll need something for the fever you're about to get."

Sydney gave me a look of pure desperation once Momma was out of the room. I laughed. "Don't worry. She likes you."

He let me hug him, wrapping his arms around me loosely. "Are you sure? Maybe she's faking it."

I pulled back enough to look at him. "I'm positive. You're so paranoid. Go home and take a nap or something. I'll text you."

He stole a kiss from me before I could protest about getting him sick. "You'd better text me. I'll think you're in the hospital or dead if you don't." He smiled when I shoved him out the door for being ridiculous.

I blew him a kiss as he called over his shoulder, "Feel better!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe