Melodies

Chapter 37: Sydney

Kell looked like he felt so much better Monday, which was great. It didn't hurt that it was the week before fall break, so we weren't even doing anything at school. Mr. Simpson and Mr. Kitching even pulled us out of some of our classes throughout the week to have us help with some project the middle school orchestra was doing.

We ended up working on backdrops, surprisingly. There was going to be a Christmas concert at the middle school during the next quarter, and the choir, band, and orchestra were all combining. The choir director decided that everything had to be cutesy and pretty. She wanted scenery. So there were the two of us, painting shitty snowflakes onto a huge poster board.

"Son of a bitch." Kell grimaced when he accidentally got paint on his hand. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he also had paint on his face.

He tried to wipe it off, ultimately failing. He gave up, resuming the task at hand. "Are we gonna go to Courtney's Halloween thing?"

I shrugged, trying to make the snowflake I'd just painted look less like a marijuana leaf. "I assumed so. Is there any reason we wouldn't?"

He shook his head. "No, I was just checking. I didn't know if you already had plans or something." He paused. "She's going to make us dress up, isn't she?"

"Yeah, probably."

"What should we go as?"

I honestly had no idea. "I dunno. You're the girly one, you pick." I laughed and flinched when some white paint splattered on my cheek.

Kell stared flatly at me. "Oops." I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm as he went back to painting, still talking. "You could go as something really generic. Just tear up a shirt and use a lot of fake blood and eyeshadow. Be a zombie."

I scoffed. "How dare you insinuate that I would do anything half-assed?"

He grinned, shaking his head at me. "You're ridiculous."

"Yeah." I gave up on the weed snowflake and began a new one. "What would you be, though?"

He smiled. "You'll see."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe