Melodies

Chapter 41: Sydney

Whatever Kim said to Kell was bad. His face dropped, and he immediately left the room, dialing a number on his phone on his way out, looking worried and stressed. I looked at Kim, trying to somehow express that I needed to know what was going on. She yelled over the music, "It's Jamie!"

I stopped paying attention at that point, moving to find Kell. He was in the backyard, a good distance away from the house, talking into his cellphone.

"...the hospital? But Jamie's okay? He isn't freaking out too much or anything, is he? Let me talk to him."

I came up behind Kell and wrapped an arm around his waist as the person on the other end presumably went to get Jamie for Kell to talk to.

Kell looked up at me, moving his phone from his mouth. "Aaron's in the hospital, his heart did something bad."

"Who the hell is Aaron?"

"Jamie's friend, they've been super close lately. He's EDNOS."

"What?"

"EDNOS. Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. They've been going through a lot of the same problems together. It's why this is important."

He moved his phone back into place. "Hey Jamie. Are you okay? I know Halloween is already pretty stressful and stupid Aaron is just making it worse."

He paused, and then laughed. "Yeah, he is. Listen, seriously, are you okay? Do you want me to come home?"

As selfish as it was, I didn't want him to go home. I wanted him to stay out all night and have fun. I wanted to spend Halloween with him.

"You're sure you're okay? I probably won't be home until tomorrow. Just call me if you need anything, alright? Okay, I love you, bye."

He moved his phone away from his ear and turned it off, staring down at it, sighing.

"What's wrong?"

He managed a weak smile in my direction. "All I heard Kim say was something about the hospital and I thought it was Jamie. I thought the excitement and everything had set him off and something had happened. But it was just stupid Aaron and Jamie's fine."

Kell wrapped his arms around me and pressed his face against my chest. "I just thought for sure that something really serious had happened and I'd have to go visit him in the hospital while I'm in this stupid nurse costume and it would be way too much to even comprehend."

I laughed, rubbing his back slowly as he relaxed, the tension that had been in his shoulders just minutes ago melting away. "I'm sure you could have changed."

"Nope. If something happens to Jamie while I'm in the shower, I'm going naked. I need to see him as soon as possible whenever something goes wrong. I would have gone in this stupid costume if he'd had a heart failure or something, even if he just did something stupid like swallowed a bunch of mouthwash on accident."

I pressed my lips to his hair and chuckled as I held him against me. He rambled on, making the situations more and more ridiculous. He finally shut up and looked up at me with huge eye surrounded by makeup.

I blinked down at his beautiful face. "You wouldn't really go naked, would you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long to post. The truth is, I'm lazy. But here it is! Subscribe and comment!