Melodies

Chapter 5: Sydney

Ashton and Alex stayed the night, unsurprisingly. All they do when they're at my house (or pretty much anywhere else, actually) is sleep, eat, and waste energy on stupid shit.

Example 1: stealing duct tape to tape themselves together at the waist.

Example 2: attempting to make some sort of cake while still taped together.

Example 3: trying to do handstands in the kitchen while mystery cake is baking while still taped together.

Example 4: succeeding at taped handstands and nearly breaking my face.

And then they ate half the contents of the fridge and proceeded to watch My Little Pony like zombies. Now, normally I'd have been doing all this stupidity with them, but I was busy trying to do some homework for once. I generally just do what I have assigned for first period, then rush through the rest throughout the day, but I knew I wouldn't get the Chemistry assignment done unless I did some tonight.

I eventually left my table of solitude to go watch stupid ponies with them. Alex was asleep on a chair, but Ashton was wide awake, upside down on the couch, legs thrown over the back. I sat next to him, and he continued to stare at the screen. "Dude."

I nodded. "Mhmm." Our communication made no sense, but whatever.

He rolled into a sort of sitting position. "How much homework did you do? You took forever."

"Only a little bit. You know I'm ADD, I can't focus on anything."

"Okay." He went back to staring at the screen.

I waited a few minutes to say anything else. "You know Kell?"

"No, who's he?"

"The kid with green hair in gym."

"Oh. Yeah. Why?"

"I have to do a duet with him for orchestra."

He looks up at me. "Is that an issue or something?"

"Kinda."

"Why? He doesn't even talk or anything."

"It's not anything wrong with him."

He makes a face at me, that I deserve because I'm being stupid.
"Then how is it an issue?"

"I'm gonna act stupid around him on accident."

"So?"

"So I don't want to."

Out of nowhere, he tackled me in a weird hug/beating-the-life-out-of-me-with-a-smile-on-his-face position. I shoved him off enough to see him grinning down at me. "Awwwww, does the baby gotta crush?" I pushed his obnoxious ass into the floor.

"Shut up." Ashton has known I'm gay since seventh grade. Alex doesn't, but only because it's never come up before with him.

"Never. So, how're you gonna do this?" He got up off the floor and slung his arm around my shoulder when he sat down again. "Will you be quiet about it and flirt a little, or are you gonna be a man and tell him or what?"

"Neither. I'm gonna do the duet with him and treat him like a human."

"Wait, are you sure he's even into guys?"

"Well....Courtney said he is."

"THEN GO FOR IT!!!!!!"

I nearly lost my hearing.

The rest of that night was me trying to change the subject and Ashton refusing, until he pretty much passed out sometime after midnight.

Which leads to this morning, where I'm standing between the couch Ashton's still asleep on, and the chair Alex is dead in. There's about twenty minutes until school starts.

It's easy to get Alex up, since I can just tip the chair over and shove him out into the floor. He grumbles at me as he goes to steal one of my shirts and relocate his shoes. I ignore him, knowing it only takes him about two minutes to fully wake up.

Ashton is different. Once he's up, he's in a bad mood for what feels like forever. So I throw a shirt that Alex brought down for him in his face, and he slowly pulls it off, sitting up slowly, glaring at the world. I leave the room, going to switch out the books in my backpack before we have to leave.

We're out the door in about five minutes, and we get to school about three minutes before the bell rings. Alex goes wherever, Ashton follows him, and I'm left to rush up to the second floor for Spanish.

Two minutes left, I'm halfway up the stairs, and someone comes up bumps shoulders with me randomly. I look over, prepared to be pissed, before I see that it's just Courtney. She smiles. "You look stressed."

"Alex and Ashton stayed over."

"That would explain it." She stepped out of the way a little to reveal the short girl walking next to her, someone I've never seen before. "Meet Elizabeth. She's new, and she's in Spanish with us."

The new girl, Elizabeth, kind of waves without really looking at me. "Hey."

"Sorry you had to see the patheticness that is Bradbury, but welcome, and all that."

"Eh."

I get the feeling she's not very social, so it's weird that she's with Courtney. Then again, Courtney somehow just attracts people, like the bug killing light thing.

Whatever, I totally know what it's called.

Courtney takes her usual seat next to me in Spanish, Elizabeth sitting behind her, taking out her phone as Ms. Jackson starts to take attendance.

Courtney leans over to say something. She smiles as she starts to speak in hushed tones. "Wouldn't she and Kim be perfect?"

I look back at Elizabeth, considering this. "Yeah."

Courtney smiles again and turns around in her seat to start talking to her.

I can see it better now that Courtney's pointed it out. Kim tends to go for quieter girls, from what I've seen. Not the shy kind of quiet, but like, the smart kind, if that makes sense. Poor Kim, stuck at our school where there's barely any girls who swing that way, and where the ones that do tend to not really be her type, has been single for a while.

I notice Kell coming in after the bell's rung, looking tired and rushed. He gives Ms. Jackson a tardy slip and takes his usual seat behind me. He sits there to talk to Courtney, usually.

Courtney looks him over while he pulls out a folder and his textbook. "You look like hell, what happened?"

"I was up late, and then Jamie's alarm didn't go off on time, so he got me up late and we had to rush to get ready."

She makes a noise of sympathy. "Poor baby." Kell rolls his eyes at her. She brightens her face up again and introduces Elizabeth. "She's new here, I think you guys have some more classes together."

She takes the schedule off Elizabeth's desk and hands it to Kell, who looks over it. "Yeah, we do. Today we've got Spanish, Chemistry, and Gym together. Tomorrow we've got Geography and Orchestra together." Elizabeth nodded. Kell looked over it for another minute before giving it back to her. "I think the only classes you'll be in without someone Courtney will force you to be friends with are English and Trig."

"Sweet." Then, she goes, "Cool hair, by the way."

Kell smiles a little. "Thanks."

Courtney takes the schedule and looks over it again. "Sooo....we've got Chemistry together next, with those two that you've already met, and Kim. You'll like her. Then you'll have Computers with Sydney, me, Ashton, Alex, Kim, and Brittany. You met her this morning, right?"
Elizabeth nods silently, so Courtney goes on. "And then you'll have Gym with Sydney, Kell, Ashton, Alex, and Kim. So today you're all set."
Elizabeth just nods again. I kind of like how she's quiet and a little hostile, and yet clearly doesn't hate Courtney.

Why does that make me think of Raven(Teen Titans)?

...

Oh well, Kim will just adore her.