Melodies

Chapter 53: Sydney

A week and a half before school let out again, Kell fell asleep. At an ideal time. In an actual bed and everything.

My mom was at my aunt's, helping her after her surgery, and I'd decided to ask Kell over just for the sake of having him alone. We'd goofed around a little, his temper flaring only a few times, which was an improvement. We watched some French movie, by his choice, and then an episode of Futurama, which I picked out.

Around 11, we ended up in bed, both of us watching Kell's fish game on his phone, our bodies pressed close together. He explained to me a little how the game was played, but I didn't listen well enough to understand. Something about discovering magic fish. It didn't matter.

I took the phone from him once his fish were fed and medicated (because apparently they had "Ick") and turned it off, setting it on the table by my bed. Kell watched me, looking confused. I didn't offer an answer, instead pulling him closer to me and rubbing my hand up and down his back.

"Sydney..."

"Hm?"

"I want to know the secret."

I opened my eyes. The secret. That I'd actually called my dad and asked about staying in the cabin with everyone and he said it was fine. I'd asked Jamie about letting Kell go, and he'd agreed, saying Kell needed to get away for a little bit. And everyone else said they would go. So it was pretty much planned.

"I want it to be a surprise for you."

He pouted a little bit. "Fine."

"Trust me, it's hard not to tell you."

"If you say so."

We laid there for a while, not really doing anything. There was music playing quietly from my phone, which sat next to his, but there was no other noise. I'd turned out all the lights, so there was nothing to see. We had nothing but each other.

"Do you really want to know what it is?" I'd asked after a few minutes.

There was no response.

"Kell?"

Nothing.

I opened my eyes again, using what little light was coming in through the window. Kell's eyes were shut tight, and he looked peaceful. I smiled at how young he looked asleep, something I hadn't seen in a while. He was absolutely precious.

I think he just finally gave out due to overwhelming exhaustion, but at least he was resting. I left him alone, ready to let him sleep as long as he could, even if it meant missing school for the rest of the week.
♠ ♠ ♠
Less lame updates in the near future. Comment and subscribe!