Melodies

Chapter 6: Kell

I'm surprised after class, when the new girl starts talking to me. "Okay, so your Spanish teacher jingles, your principal snores when she's awake, and your office ladies look like they're just clones of each other. Is there anything I should know about the chemistry teacher?"

I look over at her and smile. "He has to write every single thing he says on the board, but you get used to it."

She nods. "At least that won't make noise, I guess."

I give me awkward attempt at a 'friendly laugh.' She doesn't comment, and I'm okay with that.

Courtney would be with us, but she went with Sydney to her locker or something. She told me to show Elizabeth the way to class. Luckily, it's just up a flight of stairs, on the third floor, so it won't be difficult to remember or anything.

To be honest, I like Elizabeth. In a world where your brother is often whiny, your school is loud, and most of your friends are squealy, it's nice to be around someone who doesn't need to talk much.

Once we get to class a find seats, she puts her phone back in her pocket and turns around to face me, resting her arms on my desk. "So. Fill me in on shit, because Courtney was too busy talking to everyone else. Brittany's blonde and looks like a scene kid?" I nod. "Ashton and Alex are Sydney's friends, but they hang out with Courtney sometimes?" I nod again. "Kim and Brittany are your friends and Courtney's friends, but they don't really talk to Sydney, Ashton and Alex?" I nod a final time.

She sighs. "So what the hell are you and Sydney?"

"We both know Courtney. We both sit with her in class and at lunch sometimes, that kind of stuff."

"So pretty much, Courtney connects everyone?"

"Well...yeah."

"Alright. Now, is it Brittany or Kim that's gay?"

"Kim."

"And she's in this class?"

"Yeah, she'll be here soon. It takes forever to get here from her first period class."

She looks down at the desk. "Cool."

I smile at her a little when she looks up, and she gives a half-grin-thing, like she might approve of me or something. "I have to ask, why are you talking to me more than you did to Courtney?"

"I dunno. Courtney fills in the space with her talking. I've always been more comfortable around guys anyway, for some reason. But don't get used to it, I don't like to talk in general."

"I get that feel, bro."

She looks at me like I was a moron, which I am. Thankfully, Courtney walks in just then, and takes the seat next to Elizabeth. "Hey guys." She smiles.

"Where'd you ditch Sydney?"

"Alex stole him. I saw Kim coming up the stairs though. There's a huge crowd in the hall, or I would have waited for her."

"Why's there a crowd?"

"I don't know, there was an almost-fight or something like that," Courtney says as Kim comes in and takes a seat next to me. She has that face one, the one that means that first period sucked because she hates the teacher, and the stairs were blocked and she woke up late and it's just a bad day.

She looks at me and gives me an exasperate smile as she lets out a breath. "Today is shit."

I nod. "I understand completely."

She nods her acknowledgement as she starts to pull her stuff out of her backpack. Courtney meets my eyes briefly before moving in on her plan to get Kim and Elizabeth together. "Hey Kim, we've got a new kid today."

Kim doesn't look up, just replies sarcastically, "Joy. Is it another 'gangster' or is it some kid that's gonna randomly disappear like Steven Oakley did last year?"

"Kim, this is Elizabeth." Kim looks up finally, and her expression changes instantly. She looks surprised and kind of disbelieving. Elizabeth waves a little, looking equally shocked.

Kim finally blinks. "Um, hey. Nice to meet you."

Elizabeth nods. "Yeah, I know." She suddenly widened her eyes. "I mean, you too."

Kim smiles at that.

It's just too weird, seeing Kim like this. She's the independent one, she's the strong one, she's the one who isn't affected by anyone else. She's not supposed to act so weird just because she met a cute girl.

Sydney comes in seconds before the bell rings and takes the desk by Courtney, so she's between him and Elizabeth, who's now in the middle of a conversation with Kim. He pulls out a folder and some paper, then digs through his bag, looking for something. After a minute or so, he looks over at Courtney. "Do you have a pencil?"

She gives him a look of disgust. "Every time I give you one, you lose it in twenty minutes. Bum off someone else."

He turns to look at me. "Can I borrow a pencil?"

It takes me a few seconds to realize that I'm staring at him, specifically his eyes. I can't help it, they're kind of flashing in the light of the classroom, and the color is captivating. I slowly nod, then reach down in the front of my backpack to grab one. My hands shake when I lean across Kim to hand it to him. He just smiles and thanks me.

Courtney turns to face me once Sydney's distracted with something, finishing the homework, it looks like. She leans in and whispers loudly, "Is it my imagination, or were you just freaking out because he asked for a pencil?"

I shake my head. "I have, um, a shaking disorder."

She leans back and squeals (There, see? That's why I like Elizabeth. She isn't this obnoxious.). "Oh my god, that's just too cute, Kell!"

I just glare at her as Sydney, Kim, Elizabeth, and half the rest of the room turns to stare.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter sucks, so...sorry. I got kind of offtrack with a lot of it, I guess.
Subscribe, comment? I love getting feedback.