Melodies

Chapter 64: Kell

School had been back in for five weeks, and I was ready to give up on everything. Living with Jamie made my life impossible. I couldn't do or say anything without worrying that he would somehow misinterpret it as an insult. I couldn't stay out because I was worried I'd be gone and he'd have to go to the hospital again and I wouldn't be there for him. And I couldn't get anything done, because I got distracted by his stupid habits.

He'd constantly tap his collarbone and hipbones. He'd fall asleep in the stupidest places, like on the stairs or on the floor in the living room, in front of the t.v. He was downstairs all the time, so if Sydney came over, we had to go upstairs for any sort of privacy. It wasn't exactly a problem; it just would have been nice to have been able to goof off and watch a movie on the couch sometimes or something.

I felt incredibly guilty about it, but I was really irritated with Jamie. I just wanted him to get over his stupid issue and recover properly. Realistically, I knew it wasn't like that, of course. I just wanted it to be over. I wanted him to eat again. I wanted him to go on dates. I wanted him to get his grades up and start caring about graduating and college. I really, really, really wanted Jamie to get better, so that I could go back to normal. I wanted to be able to go out without worrying the entire time. I wanted to be able to have people over again. I wanted to order pizza with him and sit around and watch America's Next Top Model and paint our nails and be stupid.

I knew it wouldn't be happening anytime soon, and that bothered me. Sydney must have noticed that something was up, because he kept spoiling me. He picked me up for school and brought me tea and breakfast. He didn't complain when he took me out and I kept panicking and kept calling home just to check on everything. He didn't even complain when he took me out and I made him take me home in the middle of a date, or something equally ridiculous.

He was just compliant and considerate and perfect, as always.