Melodies

Chapter 9: Sydney

I could kill Alex, if Ashton would let me get close enough to him. I'm equally angry at Ashton, because he knew the entire time, but he didn't tell me.

We're in the parking lot, school's been let out for the day. Ashton's right at Alex's side, looking troubled as him and I yell at each other.

Alex is being an idiot. "Look, I didn't even do anything. And what do you care, anyway?"

"There's nothing wrong with Kell, you're acting stupid. And what do you mean you didn't do anything? I saw where you hit him and I watched you bug him after class."

"Big deal, he had it coming."

"How? Did he carry a sign saying 'please pick on me?'"

"He's just so...gay! He deserves any crap he gets, from anyone."

"Alex, that's so stupid. There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why does it matter to you anyway? Did he ask you out or something?"

"No, of course not. Stupid little fag knows better than to talk to me." He looked down at the ground sharply. "What's up with all of this? Why are you going out of your way to defend him?"

"Because he doesn't deserve any of the crap you're putting him through! I can't just stand by and do nothing!"

"How can you say he doesn't deserve it?"

"Because he doesn't! It isn't his fault you're a total jerk!"

Ashton suddenly sighs and comes between us, looking first at me, then at Alex. "Quit. Sydney, if you won't tell him, I will."

I just keep staring at Ashton while Alex sputters on, demanding to know what we're talking about, until Ashton decides to just go for it.

"Alex, Sydney's gay."

Alex shut up instantly, his face an expression of complete shock. I just roll my eyes at him. "You're an idiot, Alex, really." I walk off, leaving him and Ashton together to beg for a ride from someone else.

I drive home and slam the door behind me, setting my bag down on a chair, checking my phone. Nothing. I expected at least an update from Ashton on how Alex was taking it, and Kell was supposed to text me the address of the place I'm supposed to be going.

I practice for about half an hour, nothing serious. I just want to kind of warm up a little and go over some stuff before I go with Kell, not wanting to feel like a complete moron when he plays way better than me.

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm nervous. I don't want to look stupid in front of him or his teacher. I don't want to mess something up and make him think I'm going to ruin the whole duet. I don't want things to be awkward after what happened today, in gym. I just want to play decently enough and come home.

Sometime around 4:20, I finally get a text. I grab my phone as soon as I hear the buzz and unlock it, dying to read it as soon as possible. It's Kell, it's the address. I sigh and drop the phone back down. As much as I'm completely frustrated with and mad at Alex, he's still one of my best friends. I have to know what he's thinking about this. If he acts towards Kell like that for that reason, it only makes sense that he'd completely hate me or something. I can totally see him just flat-out ignoring me for the rest of our high school existence.

Thankfully, as soon as I hear my phone hit the cushion on the chair I'm in, I hear it go off again. I ignore it for a minute, thinking it was probably just yelling at me for not sitting it down carefully, before coming to my senses and checking it. It's Ashton.

My chest feels weird as I read the message. So weird, in fact, I absorb none of what it said and have to reread it.

'he freaked out a little at 1st but hes okay now"

I ignore how horribly he typed that out, knowing his phone is old and it's difficult to text on.

'So he isn't mad or anything?'

I wait a minute before it goes off again.

'no. talk to him later'

I don't bother to reply. Alex isn't gonna be an ass about this, at least not to begin with. I'm content with that for now.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter also sucks. I didn't mean for any of this to be angsty at all or anything, it's just kind of going that way. But, next chapter will focus way more on Sydney and Kell, so that should bring it back to focus, hopefully.

subscribe/comment