My Happiness Is a Shade of Blue

Shades of Blue

Several hours later, Draco went in to check on his patient and was surprised to see Weasley and Granger curled up together on one of the lounge chairs in Harry’s room. He began by checking the chart and the noise of the pages flipping awoke Hermione. She sat and watched him for almost a full minute before he realized she was awake.

“His vitals are the same,” Draco said, not making eye contact. “The potions should be ready in the next two hours. We’ll begin testing then.”

“I’m glad you are here, Draco,” Hermione said in barely more than a whisper. “Harry would be glad, too.”

Draco frowned and said, “Now how can you even begin to assume that…”

“Because I know, Draco,” Hermione interrupted. “I know Harry would be glad. He’d be more than glad.”

“I don’t…”

Hermione sighed and continued. “Haven’t you ever felt it? There’s an energy between the two of you. You used to fight like cats and dogs as kids. And I guess you still could, but…are you dating anyone, Draco?”

The question came out of left field. Draco wasn’t sure how to answer. “Wh…what?”

“Are you dating anyone, Draco?” Hermione asked again. This time a smile played on her lips. “I know you prefer the company of men. And you know it doesn’t bother me because Harry does, also. So I’ll ask it again, are you dating anyone, Draco?”

“That is not any of your concern,” Draco answered tersely. Putting the chart back on the hook he said, “I’ll be back to check on him in two hours.”

Hermione stood up and stood between him and the door. “No, it’s not any of my business. But it could be.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Ms. Granger.”

Hermione was perceptive and her smile showed as much. “Draco, you are an intelligent man. You know exactly what I mean.”

Draco panicked. Hermione was hinting at something that had long been buried. He tried to get around her. “I…”

“He’s always found you attractive, you know. Even in school he had an unnatural obsession with you,” Hermione said as she found Draco’s eyes. “He’s even kept tabs on you throughout the last five years. He claimed it was because of who your father was, but we all knew better. Harry wanted to know where and how you were, Draco.”

Draco suddenly felt dizzy. His world was swimming and he couldn’t find a damned raft. Harry Potter was interested in him? Harry Potter found him attractive? Harry Potter was obsessed with him?

“It’s just something to keep in mind, Draco. He’s lonely; from what I have heard, so are you.”

“I’m not lonely,” Draco bit out.

Hermione simply raised her eyebrows at him, as if saying, ‘Oh, yeah?’

“I’m not,” Draco said, feebly.

Hermione linked her arm with his and started walking out the door. “Okay. So how about you show me your potions lab and tell me a little more about the antidotes you’re brewing?”

Draco couldn’t help it when he said, “Won’t the Weasel think I killed you when he wakes up alone?”

Hermione playfully pinched his arm and said, “Careful. That ‘Weasel’ is my boyfriend and Harry’s best friend.”

The two walked into Draco’s lab and started discussing the various agents that went into the antidotes. In fact, they spent almost the whole two hours discussing the potions.

“So you’re saying that whichever antidote is the correct one will turn blue?” Hermione questioned.

Draco smiled at her inquisitiveness. Never in a million years did he think he’d be enjoying a conversation with Hermione Granger. “Well, more like an indigo color”

“And the others?”

“The others will turn a yellowish-green,” Draco replied, just as the timer went off, letting him know it was time to test Harry’s blood.

Hermione smiled and touched his arm as she said, “So we’re looking for a shade of blue. Let’s go find it.”

~*~

Draco walked into Harry’s room the next morning to find Harry, Ron and Hermione involved in a game of Exploding Snap! He envied their obvious close relationship and was sad he had never found friends to be like that with.

“Mr. Potter,” Draco began in his clinical voice, “how are you feeling this morning? Have you had any adverse effects to the potion?”

Harry’s eyes rose to meet Draco’s. Suddenly, Draco felt like the room had been sucked clean of oxygen. Harry was beautiful.

The famous Potter hair had not been tamed, but it was almost shoulder length, a bit longer than Draco’s own. The war had made him thinner, but stronger. More like a warrior. Draco hadn’t remembered the way Harry’s eyes shone with brightness. He hadn’t remembered how much he liked Harry Potter.

Hermione looked between the two men and smiled. It truly was a wonderful day. “Hey, Ron? I could use a good, strong cup of tea. Let’s go get one.”

“But I know I was just about to win, Hermione!” Ron said, eyes sadly looking at the deck of cards.

“Come on, Ron,” she said, tugging at his arm. She smiled at Draco and closed the door behind her as she stepped out into the hall.

“Hi,” Harry said softy.

Draco smiled and returned the greeting.

“So you’re a Healer, huh? How’ve you been?” Harry asked.

Draco moved over to the other side of the bed, putting the window at his back. He could see Harry better that way. “Let’s get the medical stuff done first, and then we can talk.”

Draco set about checking Harry’s vitals and marking them down on the chart. He noticed Harry’s heart rate was a bit elevated, and this concerned him until he remembered what Hermione had said the night before. Draco was glad Harry wasn’t checking his vitals, too.

When Draco was done with his write-up, he sat on the end of the bed, near Harry’s feet. He had no idea where to start.

“So, you’re a Healer? What got you interested in that?” Harry said after it became obvious that Draco wasn’t going to speak.

Draco’s face blossomed red. “You, actually. After that incident in Moaning Myrtle’s loo…”

Harry’s face blanched and his eyes widened, almost comically.

“No! No, I didn’t mean it like that,” Draco interrupted himself. He leaned over and placed his hands on Harry’s arms. A warmth spread up his hands, through his arms and up to his heart. “I just meant…I became interested in it then. I started here and went to school to learn. I have you to thank for that.”

“Oh,” was Harry’s reply. He kept looking at Draco’s hands on him. Draco felt that he must be bothered by it, so he started to pull away, only to have his hands grabbed by Harry’s before he had a chance to put them in his own lap.

“Ever the seeker, eh Potter?” Draco said with a hint of his childhood drawl.

Harry smiled and said, “Only when I see what I want.”

“And this is what you want?” Draco said, damning his mouth for working faster than his mind. ‘What a cheesy pick-up line!’

“Hermione told me about your conversation with her last night,” Harry said. “She thinks…and I agree…that this would make me happy, Draco.”

Harry leaned in and pressed his lips to Draco’s. The heat between them was unbelievable and Draco realized what Hermione had meant when she had said that there was always an energy between Harry and him. They broke apart, and both men were smiling.

Draco scooted up the bed to get a bit closer to Harry and leaned in for another kiss. Harry’s lips were soft; softer than any lips Draco had ever felt. There was this pressure building up in Draco’s chest and he knew if he didn’t stop, it’d come out as a great big sob of happiness.

He pulled away and saw that Harry was slow to open his eyes. His smile was present, however, and that warmed Draco’s heart. He opened his mouth to speak and was interrupted by a nurse bustling in.

“Mr. Potter…oh…Healer Malfoy…what are you doing here? Your shift ended over an hour ago?” Nurse Cahill said as she looked at the two men holding hands.

Draco’s eyes narrowed and he snapped, “Yes, I am quite aware of that. Did you need something?”

“No, sir, nothing critical. I’ll check back.” Nurse Cahill had the good manners to look embarrassed for interrupting the two as she backed out of the room.

Draco turned back to Harry, hoping the moment had not been ruined.

“And you, Draco?” Harry turned back to him and stared into his eyes. “What will make you happy?”

Draco pecked him on the lips and said, “Today, Harry, my happiness is a shade of blue.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This was just something that has been floating around in my head and I just had to write it out.