Just One Picture

Tears and broken Glass

[Present Day-Reina's POV]

"Mom, I'm hungry. Can you make us food?" Silver asks.

I nod. "What do you guys want?"

The three of them look at each other and grin.

"Grilled cheese, please!" They all say at once.

I push myself up from the couch and set my book down, I walk into the kitchen and start making lunch for my family and I. My phone rings from my room.

"Silver, go get my phone, please."

She runs up the stairs and I hear my door shut and she appears on the bottom of the stairs.

"I don't reconize the number." She says and answers it. "Hello?....Can I ask whose asking?...Oh, hey...Here she is." She hands it to me.

"Hello?" I ask. "Silver, will you do this for me?"

She nods and I walk up the stairs to my room. "Hello?"

"Reina....." Zack's voice fills my ears. ".....Jimmy.....he's gone.......he died this morning..."

"You're fucking with my, Zack. You're lying."

"No, I'm not, I wouldn't fuck around about this."

"Prove it."

"Turn on the TV."

"Oh my god.. Zack, I need, I have, I'll call you later. Bye." I hang up and run downstairs.

I look at what my kids are watching, VH1.. Of course. I stand behind them as the news of Jimmy's death plays on the TV. I sob, silently. The three of them look at each other, then back at the TV screen. I walk forward, and sit on the couch next to Silver.

She puts her food on the table and says, "I lost my appetite.. I'm, uhm, I'll be in my room."

"Me too." Brandon voices.

"Yeah, I'm not hungry anymore either.." Dominic tells me.

They all throw their sandwiches on the table and walk away from me. I cross my legs and call Juliana.

After only three rings, she picks up the phone. "Hey Mamasita."

"Jules, I need you. Can you come over?" I cry.

"What's wrong? Are the kids okay? Are you?" She asks, panicking.

"I'll explain when you get here."

"I'm on my way, Hun."

I nod, "Okay."

She hangs up. And I toss my phone on the couch next to me. After ten minutes which actually feels like years, she knocks on the door and pushes it open. She tosses her bag on the floor as well as her phone and other belonging and runs towards the couch.

"What is it, Hun?" She asks.

"......Jimmy." I cry.

"Oh my gosh, what has he done?"

"He's gone, Jules." I say, the words choking me.

"What?" She asks.

I nod. "Zack called about half an hour ago now.. And told me." I say. "They kids were watching TV and that's how they found out."

"Oh, my gosh. I'm so sorry, Rei." She hugs me. "Where are the kids?"

"They all went to their rooms before I called you. Should I go see if their okay?"

"No, they need time to take it in. If they need you, they'd come to you." She assured me.

-------[Silver's POV]-------

I turn on I Won't See You Tonight part 2 and lay down on my bed. After a while, I look towards the picture of me, my brothers and Jimmy. I pick it up and talk to it as if, Jimmy could hear every word I spoke.

"You were never around. So why am I sad? Why do I feel a huge part of me is missing? Because it is.. And it always has been. I'm so upset you spent all your time with your wife and not your kids. You ignored us. So what, you sent us all letters. That doesn't mean anything. I'd prefer a quick phone call rather then a three page letter with thirty dollars in it."

I throw the picture on to the floor and the glass shatters. I turn the stereo up louder and walked over to my bed and lift the mattress up, grabbing all the letters Jimmy has ever sent me.

I sit on the floor and open them all and put them in order so that I can read them in the proper order. The letter on top is dated October twenty-ninth of two thousand six. The last one, was from my birthday this year. Dated the same, besides the year.

Once I'm done reading all of them, I wipe my face, but that doesn't stop the tears from falling from my eyes and rolling down my cheeks. I have a pile of money. All twenties and fifties. I count the money. $260. I hide it and pick up the letters, I toss them all under my mattress and lay down.

------

Kinda short -- super short, but hey, it works right?

Comment? And Subscribe? Pleeeeease!