Status: slow updates. but i promise I'm workin. i love you guys.

My Baby, My Darling.

Begging to Differ.

My jaw dropped. "Wait, what? I can't move to New York. I just started my classes, my whole life is here. Mom, you have a Cafe to run. What about the house? I grew up in that house!"

Dexter placed a hand on my knee under the table to calm me down. I took a deep breath, as he gave me an assuring nod from the corner of my eye. Even he had his eyebrows furrowed, silently trying to understand the situation.

"Please, let me explain." My mother held up her hands defensively, rolling her eyes at my dad. "Richard, we were going to ease her into this. That's not how we planned it."

My dad merely smiled, relishing in the fact that my mother scolded him. He always did the smallest things to irritate her, knowingly. This was the cause of many fights.

My mother leaned forward, placing her hand over my own and squeezing gently. "You're an adult now. Hell, you're nearly 30 years-old mentally. We always talked about what would happen after you and Marc graduated and started college, remember."

Six years ago, my older brother, Marc, graduated. He moved out to Indonesia as a photographer and a mercenary and we would hear a few emails from him from time to time, but his whole life basically emanated around there. And now that I graduated, my parents probably expected that I'd leave the nest and become independent, just like Marc. Although I had yet to be accepted into the various art schools I applied to, I was still currently taking classes at the local community college to keep my skills in check.

"And what about your Cafe, mom? I mean, you can’t just up and leave it like that.”

"I've decided to try my luck at opening another location in New York. Maybe start a franchise, but who knows? The Cafe will still be here, I'm putting Sandra in charge as manager. And you still have a job there, whenever you like. Well, I suppose you should have a job there, considering your new apartment is right above the location."

"My new apartment?" I was now inwardly jumping off of the walls of this restaurant. “What about the house?”

“It’s too much to handle for us to be paying for a house in New York as well as a house out here.” My parents smiled hesitantly, still not entirely sure about this decision. My dad, leaned forward, taking up his business stance and speaking with clarity. "But you still have to fulfill your normal adult responsibilities. Pay your bills, grocery shopping, vote. But, we will still pay for your education. So, you don’t have to worry about that.”

I scoffed lightly, "Vote? You just had to throw that one in there. Huh, dad?"

"Of course." My dad adjusted his tie in mock arrogance, his serious tone disappearing almost immediately.

"And Dexter," my mother turned her attention towards the beautifully chiseled man at my side. "I want you to look after our daughter. We trust you to guide her to make the right decisions, the responsible man that you are."

"And absolutely no slumber parties." my dad waved his finger at Dexter sternly.

Dexter shook his head, a mock serious tone that only I knew. "I wouldn't dream of it, sir."

They went over every detail with me. How to manage my bank accounts, when I would be moving in, and all other essentials. Dexter merely sat at my side, amused by the whole scene in front of him.

"Slumber parties?" Dexter scoffed from beside me as we sat on the rooftop of the hospital, his sanctuary.

I nodded, sipping coffee out of my styrofoam cup and laughing lightly. "You heard the man! No slumber parties. I guess we just can't paint each others toenails and share secrets. Sorry to crush your dreams, Dexter." I laughed lightly as I stared at his amused smirk, which was pointed towards the city lights.

I crossed my legs on top of the folding chair, kicking off my sandals in the process. I examined Dexter's features, something I liked to do whenever we were on the hospital rooftop. The weather was perfect as the natural lights dimmed over the city. A soft breeze blew over his wavy hair, ruffling his hospital scrubs against his torso. His tall frame looked out onto the scenic view of evening urban Connecticut. His expression was focused, as if in deep concentration. Usually, when we spent time on the rooftop, it was complete silence, each of us left to our own thoughts. Mine always consisted of him, and what he was thinking. I would guess and guess and guess, but he would always tell me. Whether it be a fraction of his entire rant or the whole thing, he always told me. That's what was special about him, he could spend all day left to his own devices and still be able to sum up everything in his mind with a single sentence or a simple gesture. And I knew.

“How are you feeling about this whole thing?” he glanced sideways at me, a look of concern on his face.

I shrugged, taking another sip of my coffee and pulling my knees up to my chest. “I mean, it’s natural right? Independence, breaking free from the parentals. But I don’t know, really. I mean, you’re on your own already and everything, but you still have your dad living forty minutes away from you. My parents are gonna be hours away. Maybe it’s because I’m the youngest, but I’m pretty scared to not have them around all the time, you know? Who am I going to call when I don’t know how to assemble furniture, or fill out insurance papers and stuff? It’s scary to think they won’t be in such a close proximity to me anymore.” Pieces of my hair flew into my face from the light breeze. I crossed my arms, pulling my jacket closer to me.

He nodded slowly, taking in every word before turning to me. “You can handle it. I have no doubt in my mind that you can. They’re just a phone call away if you need them. And I’m here, Gabe’s here, everyone here has your back. We’re all looking out for you. You don’t have to worry about anything, you know? I’ll make sure of that.”

I smiled lightly, setting my empty coffee cup down onto the floor and watching as he turned his gaze out to the city. It was times like these that made me so much more closer to him, made me feel like I could tell him anything in the world. He didn’t make a big deal out of anything I told him, but just listened. I needed that, I need the assurance that things will be alright. Usually, people would jump to action and try to find ways to help me out or make things easier for me. I needed him because he made me feel secure, that I could do anything, accomplish anything. That’s all that mattered.

After a few moments of silence, he turned towards me, a serious expression on his face. "Do you think that the rule includes pillow fights?" he smirked lightly, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

I threw my head back in laughter, ending the solemn silence that previously filled the expanse of the rooftop. "Yeah, I think that counts, Dexter!" I laughed lightly, raising my eyebrow at him in suggestion. "But who ever follows the rules at a slumber party, anyway?"

He shook his head slightly, a smile playing on his lips before leaning down on the arms of the folding chair and placing his lips on mine, passionately enough to leave both of us gasping for air when he finally pulled away, grinning widely at me as I gazed into his grey orbs.

"I sure as hell don't." I breathed, connecting our lips together once more.

---

“Okay, you can back up a little. Move to your left. Make sure you don’t hit the railing!” I directed from behind as Gabe and Travis breathed heavily, carrying my new couch up the flight of stairs to my apartment. My apartment, it was weird to think of it like that.

Gabe heaved, lifting the couch up higher as he climbed the stairs. “You had to pick….the heaviest couch….in existence? This crap…weighs….a ton.”

“Dude,” Travis let out a puff of air, continuing his trek backwards up the stairs, “quit bitching…we’re almost there.”

“Guys, just a few more steps.” I fanned my face with a magazine as I waved them over to my door, quickly unlocking it with my key and directing them into my living room. “Okay, just set it down over here. Thanks, guys!”

Gabe dropped his end up the couch with a loud thud, falling to the floor and heaving, facing the ceiling. “Shit, that was the heaviest couch on the planet. Someone toss me a water, please! I’m begging. I’d get down on my knees, but I don’t think I’d be able to pick myself up to that standard.”

I laughed loudly, reaching inside the cooler in my kitchen for a two bottles of water, tossing them to Travis, who gingerly placed his end of the couch onto my hardwood floors.

“Thanks for doing this by the way, guys.” I smiled, gathering my brown hair and tying it into a high ponytail to get it away from my face. “I owe you one.”

“More like three million,” Gabe scoffed, taking a huge gulp of water and sitting upright against my couch.

Travis took a seat on my mustard yellow couch, opening his bottle of water. “It was no problem, Chelsea. We were glad to help.”

“So when do the parentals leave?” Gabe stood on his feet, plopping down onto the couch beside Travis.

I took a sip of my water bottle, furrowing my eyebrows, “Next week. They’re packing right now at the house. Which reminds me; I still have a load of boxes to bring over here.”

Gabe shook his head abruptly, “No. Not me. I have a date tonight. You can have Dexter help you with the rest of the boxes and furniture, but I’m done for the day.”

I let out a puff of air, rolling my eyes at him. “Dexter doesn’t get off for another hour, Junior.”

“I can stay.” Travis waved his hand at me, placing his water bottle onto the floor. “I don’t have to be at the Record Store until five anyways.”

I smiled lightly, pushing a few strands of hair out of my face. “Thanks, Travis. I appreciate your help.” I glared at Gabe as he stood up from my couch, starting to search his pockets for his keys.

“No problem,” Travis stood up, making his way towards the door. “I’ll go get the rest of the boxes out of your truck.”

I waved him off before making my way to the boxes on the counter of the kitchen, pulling open the boxes and taking out the coffee maker, plugging it into the wall.

“So, I’ll have the housewarming party planned for next Friday?” Gabe pulled out his phone in front of me, punching in a few buttons.

I shook my head, raising an eyebrow at him. “No. No parties. Junior, I’ll still be settling in! No.”

“Chill out, Che-Che.” He threw up his hands in defeat, laughing lightly. “It’s just a small get together, not some wild rager. 200 people, tops.”

I rolled my eyes, shoving him lightly out the door. “I said no. Now get your ass out of my apartment before I neuter your ass.”

“Not the babies.” His eyes widened in horror as I shoved him out the door, towards the stairs that led to the Café downstairs. “They still have so much to live for!”

I shook my head slowly, laughing loudly before waving him off and shutting the door.

I turned around, taking in the full view of my apartment. It was beautiful. I’d seen it many times before. We often rented it out to tenants or used it as a storage space for both restaurant stuff as well as the boxes that held out Halloween and Christmas decorations. It was a small studio apartment with a bathroom and a kitchen already installed. With brick walls from the wooden floors to the ceiling, the apartment’s windows overlooked the fairly calm street below. With hardly any furniture inside, the space seemed pretty large. However, now that the couch sat in the middle of the living area, the space seemed like it was cut in half. The occasional car horn or group laughter could be heard from the open window on the far right, where the unenclosed bedroom was located. Instead of a wall, there was a paper Japanese shoji, or room divider. I never paid much attention to the space, but now that it was all mine, I loved and appreciated it more than I ever had before.

A couple hours later, my apartment was littered with cardboard boxes. The only piece of furniture inside was the couch, a coat rack, and a few temporary folding chairs.

“So, I think I have to take off now.” Travis placed a few boxes onto the kitchen counter before turning to me and smiling lightly.

I grinned, pulling him into a hug. “Thank you so much for your help today, Travis. I really do owe you one.”

“Really. It’s no problem.” He waved me off, walking towards my front door.

I followed him, pulling open the front door as Dexter was jogging up the stairs. Mid-jog, he noticed Travis as he walked out the door. His smile turned into a look of surprise as he walked down the hallway, to my apartment.

“Sorry I’m late. I had to go home and change out of my scrubs. I didn’t know you had company?” Dexter raised an eyebrow at Travis, giving him a slight nod of acknowledgement before pulling me into his frame, quickly pecking my lips.

I pulled away, nodding slightly. “Yeah, Travis and Gabe have been helping me move all afternoon. Gabe left earlier though. He said he had a hot date.”

“Well, that’s fortunate.” He smirked lightly, returning his gaze to Travis and tightening his grip on my waist. I turned to him, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. His tone, along with his tight grip on me confused me.

Travis nodded slowly, “I was just leaving. I have a shift at the Record Store right now.”

“Alright.” Dexter nodded, waving him off. “Well, thanks for the help.”

“Yeah, thanks Travis.” I smiled brightly, waving him off as he made his way down the stairs. “I’ll see you later!”

Dexter followed me into the apartment once Travis was out of sight. I closed the door behind him and raised my eyebrows, narrowing my eyes at him.

“Okay, dude. What the hell was that?” I scoffed, gesturing towards the door.

He furrowed his eyebrows, making his way to the cooler and pulling out a bottle of water. “What was what?”

“You seriously just cold shouldered Travis just now.”

“No. I didn’t.” He laughed, opening a box on the counter and emptying its contents.

“Yeah. You did. Don’t deny it. I know what I saw. Tell me what it was about.”

“That guy is too nice.” He pointed out the door absentmindedly.

“Too nice?” I scoffed, “What does that mean?”

“It means,” he turned away from me, placing a few glasses in a cupboard, the wrong cupboard, but that wasn’t my concern at the moment. “He’s too nice. I don’t like the way he looks at you.”

I rolled my eyes, “Dexter, it’s just Travis! He’s like a big brother.”

“I beg to differ,” he scoffed, clenching his jaw and turning back towards the box, never meeting my eyes.

“Okay. You need to calm yourself.” I made my way over to him, closing the box that he was now emptying. “You don’t have to worry about these things. You’re mine, remember? I only have eyes for you.” I mocked him. Finally, I got to express how corny that line was when he had said it to me at the lake house.

He laughed loudly, rubbing the back of his neck. “I knew that line got on your nerves.”

“So what?” I smiled lightly, pecking his lips. “You’re good now? Did the corny line work?”

“I’m still keeping my eyes on him.” He shook his head slowly, turning his attention back towards the box.

“You can keep your eyes on him all you want. But if you pull another asshole move like that, I just might have to slap the back of your neck. Jealousy doesn’t look good on you.”

He smirked, pulling another box onto the counter. “Alright. I’ll back off. But my opinion still stands firm. I notice these things, darling. You may not see it, but it’s there.”

I rolled my eyes, laughing lightly as I made my way over to the couch opening another box. “And I’m saying that you are wrong. But, you know what? We’ll agree to disagree.”

“Agree to disagree.” He held up his hands in mock defeat as he finished up that box, quickly cutting open another one in its place.

He was wrong. I knew it, I was sure of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was really long. I just didn't want to split it up, so I figured WHY THE HELL NOT? I'm really loving them as a couple. Seriously.

I'm hitting 75 subscribers, which is a massive feat for me! This being my first story and whatnot. I have you all to thank for that. I appreciate every single one of you.