Sweatin' It

Alright

I held the tiny thing in my hand, the tiny thing that had just changed my life.

She told me not to sweat it. She told me everything was going to be fine, and either way this turned out, it was going to be okay. But, this wasn't okay. This wasn't alright. This was wrong. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

My hands were shaking. They were shaking past the point of return. My heart was pounding. My lungs didn't wasn't to seem to agree with the normal pattern that it was supposed to.

Positive.

It was positive. The little smiley face mocked me in my shocked fear. The curve of its mouth, the circular shape of its face, that smile, all mocking me.

Just breathe, Nyx. Just breathe. It will be okay. I tried to convince myself. My dom wasn't that bad of a guy. He was sweet to me. Real sweet. But, that could change when he finds out. That little instinct to protect fertiles could be gone in a heart beat if he found out.

This shouldn't be happening. If I was human, it wouldn't be. Males don't have children, but when you're a vampire, they do. Well, the fertiles did. I did.

He didn't want kids right now. He told me that when we got mated. I understood that. I mean, who wants kids right after the mating ceremony? No one! No one wants that. They want to settle down for a little wile, just be a couple, you know? They want to be able to go out on the town, have parties, talk loud, have mind blowing sex whenever they wanted. No one wanted kids because they would just ruin all of that.

We didn't think about it when it was happening. We didn't think about it, and now I was paying the price.

That moment of passion, that moment of heat, that moment of lust, was it worth it? Was it really?

My heart sped up when I heard the front door open. God, he would be expecting me now. He would expect me to come meet him at the door, smiling, asking him how his day was, acting normal, and happy. He would notice my tear stained checks, and my fast heart beat. He would notice. That's what he does. It was his specialty. He needed it for his work, for his torture.

"Nyx?" He called out. I knew he would. He noticed patterns, and when something didn't fall just right into one, he knew. He just knew.

I stood up on my weak knees and walked down the stairs to where he would be. The black boots and dark pants of his dominator uniform came into my sight first. Then it was his blood spattered white shirt and the pale skin of his neck. Then it was up to his smile with his extended canines and his chocolate eyes framed by his dark hair.

"Where were you, babe?" He asked, reaching out for me.

My eyes were stuck on the floor, but I couldn't resist his hands snaking around my waist. "Upstairs. Guess I lost track of time." I said.

"What's wrong? Were you crying?" He asked concerned.

I shook my head. "I'm fine."

"Don't lie to me, Nyx." He said sternly. His dom voice was coming out. I didn't usually hear it, only in situations where I did something he didn't like.

I stayed on his good side mostly. It wasn't for any reason other than it was easy to. I loved him. He loved me. Therefore, it was easy to. But, there were sometimes that I didn't. He was a very powerful dom, and everyone was afraid of him in high school. The humans cowered in fear at the mere thought of him. The fertiles lusted after him, going against their gut feeling to stay away from something so dangerous. The doms respected him for the fact that they knew he could kick their asses.

I, on the other hand, tried to avoid him. I wasn't like the other fertiles. He scared me, so I stayed away from him. It was fate's twisted design that made me fall in love with him.

I looked away from him, from his scrutinizing eyes.

"What's wrong? Tell me." He wasn't asking questions anymore. The grip around my waist went from a loving one, to one that was holding me in place. It was keeping me there.

I panicked. I didn't know what to tell him. Should I tell him at all? This could be kept a secret. I had friends that would help me keep this a secret. But, then their were consequences that came with that.

"Do you want kids?" I asked, not knowing what else to do.

He looked at me for a second with a strange look. He didn't know what to think of this. "I don't know." He said confused. "Why are you asking?"

"I'm pregnant." I muttered lowly.

"What?" He asked.

I said it a little louder, a little clearer.

His face went pale white, paler than before. It was the look you got when you saw a ghost or maybe a demon, but I lived in a world of demons. I was one. The grip on my waist was gone now. His fingers going through his hair.

My breathing started to become a little more erratic. My heart beat speed up all the more. My oughts kept going to the worst situations possible.

"You're pregnant?" He asked.

I nodded my head nervously. Fear coursed through my veins.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

I nodded again. The six tests in the bathroom all said the same thing.

He took in deep breaths, deep, long breaths.

"I'm sorry," I started to ramble. " I know you don't want kids, and this is all my 'fault. I should have stopped you last time. I shouldn't have let you go that far without protection. I'm sorry. It's my mistake." Tears were coming back to my eyes.

"Oh, darling," He said with concern. "This isn't your fault, okay? This child isn't a mistake. I know I said it was too early, but this is different. We're going to be fine. Everything is going to be okay." His thumb ran under my eyes to wipe the tears away.

I just nodded my head.

He was right, like always. We were going to alright. This was going to be alright. This baby was going to be alright.