Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Nine

Jordan

“Cam? If you’re still working out you stop right now and come home! I’m worried, okay? And you can yell at me and say I’m being stupid later but please come home. Love you, bye,” I left the third message on her cell phone, my worry increasing by the fact she hadn’t answered her phone yet. Two hours at the gym was ridiculous, especially considering she’d already been there once today. I’d sat around waiting for her to get home or at least text me back or call, and I was sure I’d all but paced a path into the hardwood of her apartment. I’d housed myself here for the day, figuring she’d come back here rather than to my place, because she knew I’d probably lecture her about how unhealthy it was to be pushing herself so hard.

Finally after sitting around twiddling my thumbs for another ten minutes I got in my car and drove to the arena. I didn’t care if I had to haul her kicking and screaming out of there, she was coming home, eating, and her ass would be stuck to either the couch or the bed until tomorrow. Even if I had to glue it.

“Cam?” I called out, checking the gym. My heart dropped slightly, because I’d expected to find her here, and there was only one person in the large facility. Steve was working out, and came over to me, looking concerned as he toweled sweat off of his forehead.

“What’s wrong Jordan?”

“I’m looking for Cam,” I replied, not wanting to worry him anymore than was necessary – I know he and Shelley lost a lot of sleep over her wellbeing. I’d kept him as informed as I had to – the basics, but I sugar coated a lot of it for him so that they didn’t go out of their way too much, I knew Cam always felt bad about them spending extra time and energy on her.

“I’ll help,” he immediately offered, and we continued our search. She wasn’t out on the ice running drills, or in the locker room getting ready to leave. We entered the player’s lounge, and I saw her laying down on one of the large leather couches, appearing to be asleep. Relief hit me hard, and I walked over to her, pushing some hair out of her face before kissing her forehead. She felt a little overly warm, but so did I after a hard workout.

“Cam, babe it’s time to get up – we’ve got to get you home,” I told her, gently shaking her shoulder. My brow furrowed as she didn’t make any acknowledgement that she’d heard me. She could be a deep sleeper, but I’d expected some movement or something.

“Cam?” I shook her gently again, and still nothing. Now panic was starting to eat at my belly, making my hands shake and my mind race.

“Cam? Cam?!” I asked, and dropped to my knees in front of her. I heard Steve on the phone with someone, and nearly cried with relief when she opened her eyes and slowly sat up.

“I must’ve fell asleep,” she mumbled, and stood up. I stood up as well, and moments later the relief was gone as her eyes rolled back and she passed out, falling into me.

“Cam!” I cried out in surprise, not sure what to do as I held her. Steve took her from me and laid her shaking, limp form down on the couch again, before forcefully pushing me into the chair beside it.

“I called the ambulance Jordan, they’re on their way right now. You have to relax, breathe, otherwise you’re going to pass out and you’ll be no help to her,” he instructed me, and I took a few long breaths, my eyes wide and my heart still racing with fear.

“I’m going to call her mother and her Uncle all right? You stay right here so you can tell the EMT’s what they need to know – I’m going to go change and grab her health card and wallet for you,” he continued. I nodded, not sure of what else to do, my eyes glued to my girlfriend who looked almost lifeless on the couch beside me.

She had to be okay. She just had to.
♠ ♠ ♠
To not just post a short chapter and leave y'all hanging... I happened to post another short chapter and leave y'all hanging. Sorry guys, I thought I was being a good person here :S