Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Twenty Four

About two hours later all of the gifts had been opened, and we all watched as the three Staal boys played with their new presents. There had been a few gag gifts, but for the most part it was like any Christmas I could remember – and I couldn’t believe how wonderful it was to be here with all of the Staals for the holiday. I felt a pang of guilt though as I wondered what mom was doing – when I’d called her and asked about going with Jordan she’d been pretty vague about what her plans were, so I hoped she went and saw Uncle Rob. I’d never forgive myself if she’d spent Christmas alone because of me.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Marc asked quietly as he sat next to me. Jordan, Jared and Eric had all been convinced to play Transformers by Parker, and were on the floor keeping the kids in hysterical laughter.

“Just wondering what mom’s up to – I should call her. She didn’t really say what she was doing for Christmas when I asked about coming out here,” I explained. Marc just gave me a quick hug, before keeping his arms around me so I could lean against him.

“She’s probably visiting your Uncle Rob or someone Cam; don’t worry about it, just give her a call later today,” he assured me, helping make me feel better.

“Thanks Marc,”

“No problem Cam; that’s what family’s for,” he grinned, and I leaned my head against his shoulder as I continued to watch Jordan with the kids.

“You two thinking about it?” Marc suddenly asked.

“Thinking about what?” I sat up and turned to look at him as he stuttered momentarily for words.

“Kids,” he finally said, keeping his voice fairly hushed. I felt my face turn red before I buried myself against his side, wishing the thought didn’t make me so embarrassed or make my stomach do summersaults.

“I don’t know… I mean, we’ve never really talked about it,” I allowed, and Marc nodded. Before raising an eyebrow at me.

“But I assume you’ve thought of it?” I nodded, and he ruffled my hair affectionately.

“You two will be great parents Cam, and Jordy loves you to death,” he assured me. I picked at a loose threat on the sweater I was wearing, because that wasn’t the main issue.

“But if we do talk about it and want to start a family… that’ll be the end of my career,” I whispered, and saw Marc’s face fall.

“I hadn’t thought of that…” I nodded, trying to keep tears at bay. I shouldn’t get this emotional over something we’ve never even talked about, but it bothered me. I didn’t want to wait until I was in my thirties to have kids, but I didn’t want to cut my NHL career short either.

“Yeah,”

“You guys will figure it out Cam, don’t worry. Especially if you haven’t really talked about it yet… sorry for causing you stress,” he apologized, but I shook my head. Jared caught my gaze and sent me a worried look, but I shook my head and waved him off, because Levi was tugging at his arm trying to get his attention.

“It’s fine Marc, I shouldn’t be getting all choked up over it, it’s not like we’ve even talked about it,” I insisted, and soon we were quiet again as we focused on the group playing Transformers in the middle of the living room.

“Cam? Babe are you all right?” I jumped when I realized Jordan was right in front of me; on his knees with his hands on either side of my legs, and even still he was nearly eye level with me.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine,” I assured him, and the look he sent me let me know he wasn’t buying it. I swear some days he had a built in bullshit detector, but other days he was as clueless as the day was long.

“Can we talk later then?” he asked.

“Of course sweetheart,” I replied, pressing a peck of a kiss to his lips before he turned to go back to the game they were playing.

“And Marc?”

“Yeah Jord?” Marc responded, looking a bit confused.

“Keep your hands off my girl, you hear?” he warned him, making Marc and I laugh as Marc tightened his grip on me slightly.

“You have to learn to share Jordy,” he mocked him, and Jordan crossed his arms.

“No – you don’t share your wife, I’m not sharing my girlfriend, that’s not how it works,” he insisted, and soon they were wrestling as Jordan attempted to pry Marc’s arm off of me. Lindsay was having a laughing fit, having seen and heard their whole exchange, while Jared and Eric just chuckled, content to watch rather than help.

“Stop it!” I shrieked, trying not to laugh as I was all but squished by the two of them.

“Surrender!” Jordan yelled.

“NEVER!” Marc replied, and before I knew it we were all on the floor, me still pinned beneath the two of them.

“GUYS GET OFF!” I squeaked, but I wasn’t sure if they’d heard me or not.

“Hey! Dipsticks – you’re squishing her!” Jared intervened, and soon he and Eric pulled the two apart, leaving me laying on my stomach on the floor, trying to catch my breath.

“Sorry babe,” was Jordan’s sheepish apology, and I sent him a playful glare.

“Sure you are, sure,” I taunted him, and Parker ran over to ‘check on me’.

“Aunty Cam! You okay?”

“I’m squished!” I complained, and the little boy softly patted my hair.
“You be okay Aunty Cam, you are very tough,” he informed me, making Eric crack up and Jordan grin.

“Thanks bud,” I replied, kissing his cheek. I slowly sat up, and Parker crawled onto my lap.

“Aunty Cam?” he asked, and I looked down at his bright blue eyes.

“Yes hon?”

“If you want I can be your boyfriend – I won’t squish you!” he suggested, and Jordan’s jaw dropped as the rest of the Staal clan burst into laughter. I raised an eyebrow at my boyfriend who just shook his head.

“I don’t know Park, but that sounds like a pretty good deal,” I allowed, and he beamed before sticking his tongue out at Jordan.

“No; no, no, no, no,” Jordan argued, but Parker pushed him away as he tried to pull me into a hug.

“That’s what you get for squishing Aunty Cam!” he insisted, and I couldn’t even keep the grin off of my face as Jordan pulled a pout.

“Cam? Baby don’t do this – I love you,”

“I love Aunty Cam more!” Parker declared, and Jordan stuck his lip out even further, letting it tremble a little bit.

“Jordy, stop,” I giggled, but he kept it up, those big blue eyes mesmerizing.

“Love you too babe,” I caved, and he grinned as he wrapped his arms around me and pressed a long kiss to my cheek.

“No more squishing Aunty Cam or she my girlfriend, and then she play hockey with daddy and live with us in Raleigh,” Parker warned him, making Eric shake his head, and Jared’s laughter had long ago lost any sound, but he was struggling for breath laying on his side, still silently laughing.

“I promise, but Uncle Marc has to promise too,” he said, shooting his brother a pointed look. Marc put both of his hands up in mock surrender.

“Okay, okay,”

“Good,” Jordan pressed another kiss to my temple then, and I leaned into him.
♠ ♠ ♠
New one!! :) Hope y'all like it!

I'm also posting a brand new Jared Staal story! (I absolutely adore Jared - I'm pretty sure he's ousted Jordan as my favorite Staal, and he seems to fly under the radar all of the time!) So please check it out!