Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Thirty Seven

Cam

“Oh my GOD! Why didn’t you say something earlier? There’s no way I’m going out tonight,” Rosa immediately argued. I groaned, wishing I’d resisted the urge to tell her about the fact that I guess I’d broken up with Jordan. I tried not to even think about it, because I was still in shock that I’d actually done it.

“No, you are! You are going out with James because you two are perfect for each other and without a little help neither of you will do anything about it! We leave the day after tomorrow for a road trip and this needs to happen now!” I insisted, and our argument was interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Hey, ready to go?” James nervously asked, and I attempted to shove Rosa out the door.

“Look, James I’m sorry but I can’t,” she started.

“Stop being stupid! She can go, really,” I told him, and he stared at us like we’d each grown an extra head, not sure what the hell was going on.

“Uh…”

“Cam and Jordan broke up, and I need to be here for her,” she blurted, and I took three steps before sinking into a kitchen chair, hearing the words spoken out loud making them too real for me.

“Shit, serious?” James asked, and after I nodded I found myself in a hug. I leaned into him slightly, glad for his company even if it was only momentarily.

“I’m so sorry Cam – but if this is how he’s going to act you can do better,” he said, and then took off his coat and shoes.

“What’re you doing? I’m fine – Rosa can go out, it’s not a big deal. I’ll be okay,” I insisted, but he shook his head as he pulled out his cell phone.

“No, Rosalia’s right. So we’re going to have a movie night in with lots of ice cream and pizza and beer. Sound like a plan?” he asked Rosa, completely leaving me out of the decision. She nodded, her cheeks turning pink at the soft smile he’d given her. Great, now I’d be third wheeling while being stupid about this whole thing.

“Seriously, I’m fine. You guys watch a movie or do whatever you were going to, I’m just going to go to bed; I’m exhausted,” I told them, but the look Rosa gave me told me she knew I was full of it.

“Cameron Jasmine Bates you sit your ass on that couch and keep it there! Let us be good friends and help you out,” she instructed, and with a sigh and my head hung I did as I was told, making James laugh.

“I’m going to text Vero and Becka, all right?” Rosa asked, although I knew she’d do so even if I said no.

“So I’m going to be the only guy here? Now Vero will really tease me about being gay,” he whined, and we both snorted at his actions.

“Well they can bring Marc and Sidney,” she retorted, and I felt even more stupid. All couples but the one moping after breaking up with her boyfriend, fun.

Soon there was knocking at the door, and Rosa answered it, but the person on the other side was definitely not who we expected to see.

“Hello?” Rosa’s greeting was a question, and I turned before seeing familiar red hair.

“Marc? What are you doing here?” I asked, standing up and walking over to him, being pulled into a bear hug as soon as I was in arm’s reach.

“We played the Flyers last night and we have a few days off. With everything that’s going on I figured I’d come here for the two days and see the two of you,” he answered, and I buried my face against his chest.

“Thanks Marc, it means a lot to me,” I mumbled, and he patted my hair.

“I know kiddo. Were you two headed out? I can stay here with Short-stack and keep her company,” he offered, and I nodded.

“Now I don’t have to ruin your date OR be a third wheel,” I told them, and finally they both agreed, getting ready to go but insisting I call them if I needed ANYTHING.

“So… how you holding up?” Marc asked as we sat down on the couch and turned the TV on. I shrugged, and leaned against him when he held out his arm to wrap around my shoulders.

“I don’t know. I don’t think it’s hit me yet,” I admitted, and he rubbed my arm as he surfed through the channels.

“It’ll be rough Cam, but if you’re sure you’ve made the right decision things will work out,” he replied, and I felt like I was going to cry again.

“How do I know if I’ve made the right decision Marc?” I asked, and he turned when he heard how close to tears I really was. He turned to face me and gently thumbed the tears off of my face. They’d begun to fall without me even realizing it – I guess I was becoming so used to crying that it happened without me noticing.

“I don’t know Cam – I’ve never had to do what you have,” was his honest answer, one that sent me into tears and had me clinging to him while I cried.

“I still love him Marc,” I whispered through my hiccups and stuffy nose, and Marc just nodded, resting his chin on top of my head and keeping me surrounded by his strong, soothing presence.

“That’s okay Cam, it’s all right for you to love him but not want to be with him. Sometimes we love people too much for a relationship to work and we have to let them go, it doesn’t mean you have to stop loving him,” he murmured, but his words made me cry harder. If I didn’t stop loving Jordan and we stayed apart how would I stand seeing him with someone else?

“But it would hurt a lot less,” I decided, and he chuckled quietly as he turned it onto some chick-flick movie and turned the volume down.

“Yeah, it would. But it doesn’t,” he reminded me, and I nodded, fisting away the tears running down my cheeks.

“Jared’s really worried about you, you know,” he randomly told me about ten minutes later. I looked up at him, waiting for him to elaborate. He looked down at me and chuckled before pushing my now unruly and messy bangs out of my face.

“Don’t look so surprised – that kid would go to the moon and back for you Cam. You’re the little sister he never had,” he teased, and I shrugged, leaning into him.

“Well he’s the big brother I never had – along with you and Eric,”

“Sometimes… I feel like a total douche saying this, but sometimes I wish it would’ve been Jared you’d had a thing for. Just because he’s better with all the relationship and emotional stuff – you know? If it’d been him you wouldn’t be in this situation and I wouldn’t have to see the two of you hurting so much,” he sighed, and I hid my face in his shirt, wondering why all of a sudden everyone was onto this Jared and me romantically kick.

“Rosa said something similar just the other day,” I acknowledged, and Marc looked surprised.

“Really?”

“Yeah, she said something about the way he always makes a point of calling, texting, or Skyping me to make sure I’m okay,” I continued, and Marc nodded thoughtfully, staring at the TV, but I knew he wasn’t watching the show any more than I was.

“I could see it – you two are just so… I don’t even know… in tune with each other? But at the same time that’s what makes you such good friends in a platonic way too,” he shrugged, and dropped the subject, instead bringing up hockey.

We were still sitting on the couch, albeit yawning and covered in blankets ready to go to sleep, when Rosa and James came back. They were shushing each other and stumbling around, not having turned on any lights in the porch or kitchen, and more than once we heard them run into something or each other.

“Hello?” Rosa whispered, and we sat up properly rather than me leaning against Marc’s side while he’d propped himself up in the corner of the couch.

“Yeah?” we replied in unison, and they stopped trying too hard to be quiet when they realized we weren’t asleep or anything. We groaned as Rosa flipped on the light, and I buried my face against Marc momentarily as my eyes began to adjust.

“Have a good time?” I asked, and they both nodded as they sat down on the loveseat together, both of their eyes bright and their smiles wide. They’d had eyes for each other since they’d first met, and I was glad that I’d finally helped get the ball rolling for them. It made me feel a little better about myself even with this whole mess going on.

“Yeah, we did. Thanks Cam,” he replied, and then Rosa’s gaze gained some concern.

“How are you doing?”

“All right – it’s nice having my big brother here to talk to,” I grinned, elbowing Marc lightly in the side while he rolled his eyes.

“Pft, it’s just nice having me as a big brother period,” he retorted, causing some light chuckles in the room. Marc stood up then and stretched before running a hand through his hair.

“I better head back to my hotel – I’ve got an early flight tomorrow,” he said. I stood up and walked with him to the door, giving him another hug before he put on his jacket and shoes.

“Call me if you need to talk or anything Cam,” he insisted, ruffling up my hair like always.

“For sure Marc. And thanks, again, for this – it means a lot to me,” I answered, getting a smile in return.

“Anytime – you’re family, remember?” he asked, and I shrugged. He was nearly out the door when I couldn’t keep it inside anymore.

“Is he all right?” I blurted, then covered my mouth with my hand, wondering why I hadn’t kept it to myself. Marc sighed and shrugged, which told me Jordan was very much not all right.

“He will be,”

“Marc,” I had to know, I just had to. I could picture him being fine, or bringing home random girls like he had right after he and Torrie had split.

“He’s a mess, Cam. He loves you, and I don’t think he’s ever truly been in love before. Not the way he loves you, anyway. But if this is what’s best for both of you he’ll be all right, eventually,” he answered, and hugged me again when he saw the tears threatening my eyes.

“Thanks Marc, I just… I just needed to know,” I whispered, and he nodded, kissing the top of my head before leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys!

Sorry I've been gone for so long! Christmas is crazy around my house, and then I moved to another city in a different province just two days after Christmas! So I've been trying to acclimate to a new pace and everything and so haven't been updating! Hopefully this longer update can help make up for the wait! Let me know what you think!