Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Forty

“I’m so sorry,” I immediately apologized, as did he, and as we turned around both froze when we realized who each other were. Of course of all people James would hip check me into it would be a hockey player from the Flyers.

“Bates, ‘ow are you?” Claude asked, and I was surprised at just how friendly he was.

“Good, thanks. How are you?”

“All right – you ready for t’e game tonight?” the guys went ahead and left us to chat, while I was still surprised that we were even having a civil conversation. I was sure after all that had transpired that I would be public enemy number one for them.

“Yeah, I think so – what about you?”

“Yeah, I’m excited. Playing you guys is always… interesting,” he allowed, and we both laughed.

“You can say that again,” I agreed.

“T’at’s not why I like it t’ough – t’e crowd is always just so much more intense, I just love t’e atmosphere,” he explained, and I had to agree. A Flyers versus Penguins game always had the crowd going, and it was awesome for whoever had home ice.

“For sure – it’s always awesome,” I nodded, and we continued to chat for a little bit.

“Cam! You coming or what?” James called, making me blush a little bit. Claude gave me a small grin.

“Well I better let you go – you probably ‘ave to be back to the ‘otel by a certain time, eh?”

“Yeah, Dan put his foot down earlier,” I chuckled, and he did as well, but didn’t move to walk away.

“We should switch numbers – it’s really nice talking to you,” he suggested, and I floundered for a moment before agreeing with him and pulling out my phone.

“And sorry for Max by the way – ‘e was a total douche to you, and you didn’t deserve t’at.
You’re a really good ‘ockey player, and for all of t’e chirps t’e guys give you on t’e ice t’ey really do respect you,” he told me, catching me off guard.

“No,” I shook my head, trying to laugh it off, but Claude put a hand on my arm.

“Seriously – Schenner, Reimer, Danny, Bryz, me… t’ere’s lots of ot’er guys too, you gotta respect the guts you ‘ave to ‘ave done what you ‘ave,” he insisted, and I felt myself blush a little bit.

“Thanks Claude, that means a lot,” I replied, and got a cute, slightly lopsided smile in return.

“Anytime – see you later, I t’ink Steve’s about ready to snap my neck,” he teased, and I laughed before we split and went our separate ways.

“Ooh… Claude and Cam, sitting in a tree…” James started to sing until I smacked his arm and shut him up. I bit into my sandwich, hoping that keeping my mouth full would mean no questions from them, but as per usual that didn’t deter them.

“So… what’s with you and the ginger?” Steve asked, and I nearly choked on my food.

“Really? ‘The ginger’? That’s really nice Steve,” I rolled my eyes, and Geno chuckled to himself.

“Did you not see his hair?” James asked, and I scoffed at him. “It practically matches his jersey!”

“No, now you’re just being mean,” I argued with him, and he raised an eyebrow.

“Cam like Giroux?” Geno asked, and I shrugged, shaking my head.

“I’ve never really talked to him before, I wouldn’t say so,” I told him, and he crossed his arms.

“Gave him phone number,” he pointed out, and I felt my cheeks heat up.

“We swapped – it’s different. It’s two people switching numbers so they can talk as friends,” I insisted, and finally he let it slide. James was slightly more insistent, continuing to try and sing at me, until I threatened to cut his hair in his sleep and he became silent. I knew Steve would ask me about it later, which was why he was quiet about it right now.

We finished eating and slowly walked back toward the hotel, getting there with a good half an hour to spare.

“See later,” Geno waved once we were on our floor, and headed toward the room he was sharing with Jordan, while James and I went to our room. I flopped down onto my bed, and let out a long breath. I was stuffed from lunch, and more than ready for a nap.

“So… seriously, you and Giroux?” James asked, sitting down on his bed and reclining against the pile of pillows.

“No, I don’t think so. He’s just cool to talk to, he thought we could talk sometime,” I shrugged, and James snorted at me.

“Oh God, you’re oblivious! He was totally checking you out,” James argued, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Don’t be stupid – he was not,”

“Was too! He totally checked you out. I bet you he’s got the hots for you,” he teased, and I groaned before burying my face into my pillow. I wasn’t ready for any speculation of anything like that, this was not okay.

“It’s okay to have feelings for other people Cam,” James whispered a moment later, as if he’d been reading my mind and knew what I’d been thinking about.

“No it’s not, not when I’m in love with someone else, it’s not fair. And I don’t even think I have feelings for him,” I sighed, and soon James was sitting on the edge of my bed, softly rubbing my back. Moments like this made me wish Jared played on the same team as I did so that I could have my best friend here for times like these.

“You aren’t even giving him a chance Cam. Maybe you just need to consider it?” he suggested, and I laughed.

“So you’re telling me to date a Flyer?” I asked, and he thought on it for a second.

“Damnit… well, I guess? I mean, he wouldn’t live that far away, and Roo’s a decent guy, take away the fact he plays for a shit team,” he allowed, and I had to chuckle at him.

“Whatever James, I’m sure you’re wrong anyway,” I shrugged him off as my phone buzzed on the nightstand. James lunged for it, and let out a triumphant laugh.

“Sure – he’s already texted you,”

“What?” I sat up and reached for my phone, which James held out of my reach.

“Hey Cam, just wondering if you wanted to hang out after the game and get a drink? – Claude” he read out, and then I actually put some effort into trying to get my phone back as he went to reply.

“Sure! A drink sounds good!” he smirked, and I smacked his stomach to try and make him give it back.

“James! Stop it! I’m not okay with this!” I growled at him, and knew from his expression I was too late to keep the message from sending as he handed my phone back to me without any more trouble.

“It’s just a drink! Not a date,” he scoffed as if it were obvious.

“Good – then you’re coming with me,” I decided with a bright smile.

“Not what I meant—”

“Well too bad,” I retorted, and locked my phone before cuddling into my pillow.

“Fine, fine. Just so Steve won’t have to worry about you; I’ll text him and tell him to bring Schenner or somebody too so I’m not third wheeling,” he sighed.

“It’s not a date, remember? You just said so,” I sent him a bit of a glare, and he gave me a sheepish grin.

“Sure, right, of course,” I smacked his arm again, before going to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun Dun Dun...