Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Forty Two

Cam

“’ey – t’anks for coming out,” Claude met me with a hug and a bright smile as James and I walked into the bar. Brayden Schenn and Danny Briere weren’t far behind him, and I was surprised at how warmly they greeted me as well.

“Thanks for inviting me – sorry for kicking your ass earlier,” I teased, and he let out an easy laugh as his hand softly rested on my back and he guided me toward the table where they’d obviously been sitting for a while. Their drinks were sitting there partially drank, and there was a basket of wings that were mostly eaten.

“’ave a seat – want anyt’ing to drink?” Claude asked, speaking as if I was a guest at his house rather than at a bar, which I couldn’t help but smile at. James raised his eyebrows suggestively, and I smacked his arm as I slid past him and into the booth.

“Uh sure,” I nodded, and he immediately went over to the bar to get James and I each a drink.

“So, you had an awesome game tonight,” Brayden piped up, and I grinned.

“Thanks – you weren’t too shabby either,” I replied, and he smiled before laughing.

“It’s funny – to hear some of the guys talk you’re all so awful, but then they get off of the ice and it’s like none of that matters, you know?” he randomly said, and Danny rolled his eyes at his teammate.

“Hockey’s hockey Bray – you should have that figured out by now,” he teased, taking another drink of his water. It was obvious who was driving the three of them home.

“Yeah, I know – it’s the same in Pittsburgh with you guys,” I assured him, and we chatted for a little bit until Claude came back.

“I, uh, wasn’t sure what you wanted, so I ‘ope a beer is okay,” he mumbled.

“That’s great, thanks,” he smiled as he made himself comfortable beside me, and as we all sat there talking I noticed his arm on the back of the booth, just millimeters from being around my shoulders, which made me blush. Claude was a really sweet guy, and he always seemed to make a point of asking for my opinion on everything, which was kind of endearing.

“Shit, we better head back guys – Dan will be wondering what the hell we’re doing,” James groaned at about one o’clock. Brayden and Danny both nodded and stood up, but I noticed Claude hesitate to do so.

“Nice meeting you guys – officially,” I smiled and shook Brayden and Danny’s hands, and they replied similarly. It had been a lot of fun just sitting and talking with them, even if we were on rival hockey teams and all.

“You too – next time you’re in town we’ll have to do this again,” Brayden decided, and James and I nodded.

“For sure – when you’re in the Burgh we can take you guys out somewhere too,” he added, and they continued talking as I felt Claude lightly tug at the sleeve of my sweater, bringing me a few steps away from them and closer to him.

“Listen, I uh, I ‘ad a really great time talking wit’ you tonight,” he stuttered, making me blush without really knowing why.

“Me too,” I allowed, and saw his grin get wider.

“So um, could we do t’is again sometime? Maybe… maybe as, um, just us?” he asked, and I froze, unsure of what to do.

“Claude, I um,”

“It’s okay if you don’t want to – don’t worry about it,” he immediately assured me, but I shook my head.

“That’s not it, it’s just… my boyfriend and I just broke up, and it was,”

“Pretty serious?” he supplied for me, and I nodded.

“I figured t’at when I saw t’e ring on your finger,” he nodded towards it, and I blushed, not having realized just how habitual it was for me to wear it. It had never occurred to me to take it off.

“Oh, I didn’t even realize…” now I felt just stupid. Claude gave me a warm smile though, and shrugged.

“I get it; it’s ‘ard to let go of somet’ing t’at was so ‘uge in your life, don’t worry about it. We can leave t’is like t’is for now, until you know whet’er you want to try anyt’ing else or not,” he suggested, and I was torn. Saying yes was basically telling him I was interested but thought it was too soon, but was I? I didn’t have a fucking clue.

“Thanks for being so nice about this Claude – I’m really sorry, I didn’t want to give you the wrong impression or anything. I just know that right now I can’t…” he nodded, and pulled me into a quick hug.

“No problem. And don’t be shy – feel free to call me or text me or whatever. According to t’e guys I’m a good listener,” he teased, and I felt my anxiety ease up slightly.

“I really had a great time tonight,” I repeated, and he smiled again, his eyes lighting up.

“Good, t’at’s awesome. Well I better let you go – James is making faces at us,” he finally said, and I groaned at my ridiculous best friend.

“Okay, good night. Good luck on Saturday,” I told him, and he wished me good luck for our Friday night game before James and I left.

“Aww, for him being a ginger and all you two are pretty cute together. And he’s not too tall for you,” James teased as soon as we’d waved goodbye and split company from the three Philadelphia Flyers.

“Shut up James, we’re not like that,” I mumbled, stuffing my hands in the pockets of my jacket as we walked the few blocks back to the hotel.

“But you could be. He likes you,” I didn’t say anything, now knowing that I would be wrong in arguing.

“OH! What happened? Spill it,” he elbowed me, and finally I caved and told him the shortened version of Claude and I’s conversation before leaving.

“See? How nice of him is that? I told you he’s a good guy,” he reminded me, and I laughed.

“I know James, and I know he is, but I’m just not ready for anything right now. You know that,” I pointed out as we walked into our hotel room, both of us shedding our jackets.

“I know. I just hate seeing you like this over him, and Rosa feels the same way. So does Becka, so do the guys,” he quietly told me, and I pulled him in for a hug, feeling close to tears. Goddamnit I needed Jared here, because he could always make me laugh, it didn’t matter what was going on.

“Don’t cry! I’m sorry, I’m sorry – I don’t know what to do with crying,” he admitted, making me chuckle.

“Sorry – I don’t know what the hell’s gotten into me the past few weeks,” I replied, and he rolled his eyes.

“You and the guy you thought you were probably going to marry split up, that’s what. You have every right to cry, I just don’t know how to deal with it is all,” he told me, and pulled out my laptop. He opened it up and turned it on before turning it to me.

“Skype Jared – he knows what to do with all this emotional stuff,” he explained, and I chuckled before he went into the bathroom to shower, and I texted Jared before his icon lit up on my screen.

“Hey Cam – watched the game – nice goal,” he greeted me, and I managed a smile.

“Thanks Jare – excited for your game tomorrow night?” I asked, and he nodded.

“You bet I am! So what’s new?” he asked, and I bit my lip, wondering what to tell him about this whole Claude thing.

“SPILL IT! I KNOW YOU’RE HIDING SOMETHING FROM ME!” he immediately demanded, making me laugh.

“TELL HIM DAMNIT!” James hollered from the bathroom, and I shook my head at the two of them, before I took a deep breath and started telling Jared from when we’d ran into Claude at lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here is the second chapter, as promised! I'm sorry that some of you guys aren't liking them being apart, and I get why as I'm going through and reading it... but at the same time (to me) Cam's at a place where she isn't really sure she can handle being back together with him yet, if that makes sense! So please bare with me, even if you're as upset about them being apart as I tend to get haha.

Please let me know what you think! :D

Hayley