Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Fifty Two

Cam

I woke up completely disoriented; I had no idea what time it was or where I was, and it caused some panic. Suddenly all I could think of was Jordan at the hospital, freaking out, and I thrashed trying to get out of the blankets. I was tangled up but good, and that was adding to my little panic attack.

“Woah! Easy there turbo, before you knock my teeth out!” I froze, not having realized somebody was laying beside me. A somebody who sure as hell was not the redheaded French Canadian that was my boyfriend.

“W-who’s…?”

“It’s Jared, calm down,” I flopped back onto the mattress, realizing I was in my own bed at my apartment. I managed to roll onto my side and saw the huge Staal stretching and yawning, obviously having been asleep also.

“How’d I get here?”

“I brought you,” he rolled his eyes, and I gave his chest a shove.

“I thought I told you I needed to stay at the hospital? Seriously?” I asked as I sat up.

“Whatever, pick on the ginger,” he walked over and wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on top of my head. I leaned into him, beyond glad to have my best friend here; he really needed to get traded to Pittsburgh, and ASAP.

“I just don’t know what to do Jare,” I admitted, and he let out a sigh, his large hand rubbing my back softly.

“I don’t know what to tell you Cam; and I hate to say it, but I think you still have feelings for Jordan,” he said. I nodded, turning so I could bury my face against his chest.

“I still love him Jared. I thought I would stop, but I haven’t, and I don’t think I will,” I whispered, and felt him press a kiss to the top of my head.

“And that’s okay Cam. You two just have to talk it all out, and maybe see where it goes from there, you know? But you can’t keep doing this to yourselves; it’s too painful for the rest of us,” his voice was lighter at the end, teasing even, and I felt myself grin against his T-shirt.

“Thanks Jare. You know, you need to get your ass traded to Pittsburgh so I can have my best friend around all the time,” I informed him, making him laugh as we headed out to the kitchen. It was five thirty, which meant we’d been here for a couple of hours.

“Or you can get yours traded to Carolina,” he shot back, opening the fridge and helping himself to a Gatorade before wrapping his arms back around me. He gulped nearly half of the bottle before thinking to offer me some, which had me laughing as I took a few sips before handing it back.

“Sure; like that will ever happen Jared. Just come here, you can live with me,” I offered, shooting him a mega-watt smile, batting my eyelashes and hoping I was being convincing.

“Aww now don’t pull that face – You know I won’t be able to say no,” he rolled his eyes, and as soon as we had finished laughing things got quiet.

“You want to head back to the hospital, don’t you?” he asked, and I nodded. Jordan would be awake by now, and wondering where the hell I’d disappeared to. And if what Jared had told me was true, about him worrying that he was always hitting on me or whatever, Jordan would be wondering why I’d disappeared with his little brother.

“Okay, but eat something first, all right?” Jared asked, and I nodded, starting to make some toast for the two of us. I didn’t really have anything else in the house to eat.

The doorbell rang just as the toast popped, so Jared went to get the door while I spread jam on our ‘supper’.

“Allo… uh… is Cam ‘ere?” I froze at Claude’s voice, knowing I definitely couldn’t handle him right now. I was such a mess of emotions that I’d end up a crying mess on the floor, and then Jared would make me stay here even longer instead of going to the hospital.

“No, actually she’s still at the hospital with Jordan; I just came to drop off my bag and I’m headed back,” Jared answered, as if he’d read my mind.

“Well, uh, please tell ‘er I need to speak wit ‘er – she ‘asn’t answered ‘er cell,” he decided, and Jared insisted that he would before Claude left. Jared came back into the kitchen, picking up a piece of toast and wrapping an arm around my shoulders at the same time.

“You’re welcome,” he said, before eating about half a piece of bread in one bite.

“You’re a lifesaver,” I agreed, taking a smaller bite of my piece as I leaned into him, trying to compose myself before going back to the hospital.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys!

Sorry this chapter is so short... it's just where it needs to cut off before leading to the next thing. Please let me know what you think - it's your opinions that matter most about this, and I really love reading the comments. The support you guys have shown through me trying to get my life on track and straightened out has been amazing, and I just wanted to let you all know that. I've felt like I've been on a pretty mean downward spiral for a while - depression worsening, now I'm suffering from pretty severe anxiety as well, all the while realizing that what I was taking in Uni isn't what I want to do with the rest of my life... and having you guys here has been a big help. So thank you, thank you, thank you - I don't have words enough to describe how grateful I am for each and every one of you!!
(insert giant virtual hug here!)