Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Fifty Six

“Hey Jordan,” I don’t think he missed the stress in Rosa’s voice as she walked into my apartment. She’d offered to come over as soon as I’d called, so I could get away for even just a half hour or something to try and get a handle on things.

“Hi,” he nodded, and then I realized he had no idea who she was.

“Uh, Jordan, this is Rosa – she’s one of my best friends,” I explained, and he nodded once more. Rosa looked at me in surprise, before quickly covering it up. I’d asked her if she could kind of keep an eye on him so I could get out for a while, but I hadn’t said anything about his memory loss.

“Thanks so much Rosa,” I got up and gave her a hug, which she tightly returned. I knew she wasn’t Jordan’s biggest fan, but the guys were all in Columbus for a game and Becka had class, aside from probably still wanting to tear Jordan limb from limb, so thankfully Rosa understood.

“It’s okay – you call up Vero and go to the mall or something – I know you need to get your head on straight,” she whispered before letting go and making herself comfortable in the armchair.

“Well Staal, how’s a movie sound?” she asked, and Jordan shrugged before looking at me.

“I have to go do a few things, so Rosa’s gonna keep you company for a bit until I’m back,” I explained, and he nodded. I made my way toward the door and was slipping into my shoes when I heard Jordan speak up.

“So… you’re here to babysit me,” he stated, and Rosa shrugged.

“Call it what you want, but the fact is you’re not on top of your game right now and Cam doesn’t want anything to happen to you,” I could hear her therapist voice come out, and Jordan huffed.

“I’m not a two year old, I could’ve sat on the couch by myself – I kind of get the feeling you don’t really like me and you’re just here because of Cam,” he said, making me suck in a breath.

“To be honest? I haven’t really been a fan since the two of you broke up, but Cam’s my best friend, and we actually got along before that, so let’s make the best of it, all right?” she informed him before I saw her get up and start going through my DVD’s. I left then, sure I was going to burst into tears at any moment as I texted Vero. She immediately replied, offering to meet me wherever I wanted to so we could get coffee.

“Cam! ‘Ow are you doing?” as soon as I was within arm’s reach Vero pulled me into a hug. Undoubtedly Marc had told her everything that we knew about Jordan’s condition, and I was sure that would have included Jordan’s memory loss and stay at my apartment

“Okay, I think,” I offered her a weak smile. She nodded knowingly, putting an arm around me and leading me toward an empty table in her favorite coffee shop. Moments after we’d taken our seats the barista brought the drinks and food Vero had obviously ordered before I’d arrived – a hot chocolate for me, a fancy coffee-drink for herself, and two of the most delicious looking pieces of cheesecake I have ever laid eyes on.

“You are officially my most favorite person in the world Vero,” I sighed, unable to comprehend how she always just knew what to do to make someone feel better. We sat and chatted about every menial and unimportant thing we could think of while we ate, and by the time we’d finished our desserts and drinks I was feeling like there was a slight chance I could deal with Jordan for the next few days. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to, it was the damage he was doing to my heart and my emotions after just an afternoon of being alone with him at my apartment. Henry and Linda had went home to make arrangements to come stay in Pittsburgh, but they were going to be at home for a while getting everything taken care of. I knew I needed to suck it up, because Jordan needed some help here and there, as much as he was sure he’d be fine.

At Vero’s quiet suggestion we headed toward her car, and drove all the way to the Robinson Center to do some shopping. I’d never been out here – I usually went to like a strip mall for clothing or anything like that – so it was nice to be somewhere completely different. Vero had a knack for finding anywhere that had cute clothes, regardless of how small or out of the way it was, but her weakness was big places where she could go through tons of different things without having to do too much walking or any driving.

“Come on – you need some new dress clothes anyway,” she urged me with a smile as she got out of the car. I just chuckled and followed along behind, content to be drug through the mall by my very fashion-forward friend. Vero always looked amazing, and for once I found it fun to be a guinea pig for new outfit ideas that she had; the mindless routine of trying things on relaxing in a way I’d never noticed. Usually shopping just frustrated the hell out of me.

Two hours later found us in the food court sipping on smoothies, several bags taking up the other two chairs at the small table. Vero looked amazing in everything, so she’d had a hard time trying to pick and choose what to buy. I, on the other hand, was a little harder to shop for because of my athletic build, but because I was shopping with Vero had found several cute things that she’d convinced, begged, and/or threatened me to buy. Her favorite threat was that she’d buy it, and Becka and I found out the hard way that she had no qualms in purchasing something and forcing it upon you.

“Thanks so much for this Vero,” her quiet smile was all the response she really needed to give.

“Of course! I ‘ave no idea ‘ow you are doing t’is in t’e first place,” she admitted, and I shrugged.

“He needs someone to look after him Vero, and I couldn’t just leave him like that… he’d do the same thing for me,” I quietly explained, and her expression softened.

“You still love ‘im, no?”

“Yeah, even after everything that happened and even when I know I shouldn’t…” I choked out a laugh to cover up the start of the tears I knew were making their way to my eyes. Vero noticed anyway and quickly ushered me back to the car, just in case we were recognized or somebody decided to snap pictures or something equally as stupid. She pulled me in for a long hug then, which helped me get a hold of myself before we headed back toward the coffee shop where I’d left my car.

“Are you ‘eading back yet?” she asked, and I shook my head.

“No, I’m going to get some groceries first,” I answered, to which she hooked her arm through mine and started marching us in the direction of the grocery store.

“I need a few t’ings as well, I’ll just get t’em wit’ you,” she explained, making me laugh. Just as I’d suspected, she needed all of two things, but I was incredibly grateful for her company as I went through the store thinking of what to stock my apartment with for the next few days – I knew first hand that Jordan could eat like a horse.

“All right, take care ma chere – call me if you need anyt’ing at all,” we hugged once more outside of our vehicles.

“Of course Vero – and thanks again, today was just what I needed,” with that we went our separate ways and after a long breath turned my vehicle back towards my apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!