Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Fifty Nine

As quickly as I could I got into my coat and shoes, pulling a Penguins toque on and grabbing my keys and wallet before putting on my mitts. I took the stairs down to my car, letting it idle for a few minutes before pulling out of my spot and heading towards the airport. The traffic was fairly heavy for the middle of the afternoon, so I took longer than I’d anticipated. I just hoped Jared wasn’t sitting in the middle of the airport waiting for me for too long.

I walked in, keeping my head down as I scanned the crowds for the ridiculously tall redhead. I was coming up with a whole lot of nothing, before spying someone who looked about right for Jordan’s little brother. I got closer before determining it was in fact not Jared, when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, not sure what to expect, and was face to face with him.

“Jare,” I threw my arms around him and buried my face against his chest, getting a chuckle out of him as he hugged me back.

“Missed me that much, hey?” he asked, and I nodded, fighting back a few tears as I refused to let him go. Jared was more than content to stand there in the middle of the airport hugging, and he only dropped his arms after I had.

“How you holding up Short stack?” he asked, and I shrugged.

“Okay. It’s just hard seeing him like this Jared… it’s not him, but then sometimes it is…” I tried to explain, knowing my words wouldn’t do it justice. Jared just nodded and put his arm around my shoulders as he picked up his gym bag and started guiding me towards the exit.

“I know Cam, it’s okay. We’ll get through this,” he insisted, and I leaned heavily on him. What I would do without him, I didn’t know.

“Can we stop and grab some coffee or something on the way? I’m starved,” Jared piped up once we were in my car. He’d struggled a little; my little Alero wasn’t really built for a six-foot-four hockey player to fit into. With the seat back as far as it could go he was doing all right, but not fantastic.

“Sure – where do you want to go? Starbucks?” I suggested, and he nodded eagerly. The guy was hooked on that place, much like Eric was.

“Sounds awesome,” he agreed, and a few minutes later I pulled into the small parking lot out front of the coffee shop. Jared got out and waited for me, slipping an arm around me as we walked inside. I never had a clue what to get; the names of stuff here was so complicated that I had no clue what was going on. It was like they had their own coffee-language or something.

“Know what you want?” Jared asked after a few moments of debating. I shrugged, still trying to decipher the menu.

“You still don’t drink coffee?” I shook my head and made a face at him, making him laugh and squeeze my shoulders as he raised his eyes to the menu board. He knew that I wasn’t big on Starbucks and thought it was a little ridiculous.

“What about a hot chocolate? That sound safe enough for you?” he suggested. I nodded, wondering where the hell he’d seen hot chocolate on the menu. Jared just laughed at me as the barista asked us if we were ready. While I was still trying to look at where he’d found regular hot chocolate, Jared’s hand on my back guided me up to the counter, before he expertly rattled off some kind of drink, two muffins, and what I assumed was my hot chocolate. I pulled out my wallet to split it with him, but Jared shook his head, handing her his card while he pushed my hand down.

“Nope; this one’s on me,” he insisted, and I rolled my eyes at him before he told the girl his name and we stood off to the side waiting for our order. Once it was ready we found a little table in the corner to sit at and eat, Jared wolfing down his muffin in about two seconds flat, making me giggle before pushing the second one toward him.

“No, that one’s yours,” he shook his head, taking a sip of his huge coffee or whatever the hell it was.

“Come on Jare; you said you were starving, and I ate before going to get you,” I insisted, and after a few more minutes of arguing he took it, muttering away about how stubborn I was before that muffin quickly disappeared too. We sat quietly, people watching a little bit before I realized Jared just wanted to make sure I had some time without Jordan so he could make sure I was okay.

When I finished my hot chocolate Jared stood up, saying he was ready to go if I was, even though I was sure he wasn’t halfway through the ginormous drink he’d ordered. We got back into the car and headed for my apartment, Jared turning on the radio quietly while we talked about how the season was going. As soon as I’d parked Jared was partway out of the car, reaching to the backseat for his bag as he stretched his legs. We took the elevator up, and as I unlocked the door warned Jared to be quiet in case Jordan was still sleeping.

We walked in while I scanned the apartment for Jordan. He wasn’t in the kitchen or living room, so I figured he must still be asleep. Jared went and put his bag in my room while I sat down on the couch and stretched out. The hot chocolate had made me drowsy, adding to the fact I’d had next to no sleep last night.

“You look like you could use a nap,” I jumped when Jared’s voice came from right behind me. He picked me up before sitting down on the couch with me on his lap, and I yawned into his shoulder as I nodded. He was comforting as he softly rubbed my back and let me relax, something I’d struggled with since Jordan had been released from the hospital.

“Yeah, I got shit-all for sleep last night,” I admitted, and saw worry in his bright green eyes.

“Well I’ll wake you up when Jord gets up if you want,” Jared told me, and I nodded as I cuddled into his side. He was incredibly warm, his long arms wrapped around me as he pulled the blanket over us and made himself comfortable. I felt him press a friendly kiss to my forehead as my breathing started to slow and match his, before I closed my eyes and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's a little short, but this chapter is for elizasonfire who messaged me a few days ago and helped me get my butt in gear to update lol. You guys know I've been on kind of a messed up hiatus for a while - and unfortunately my health isn't really getting better at the moment. On top of everything else I ended up in emergency at the hospital Monday night until about 3am Tuesday morning for really bad chest pains, nausea, headache, and trouble breathing. Apparently the cartilage that attaches the breast bone to the ribs is all inflamed, causing extra pressure on my lungs and heart and making me feel like someone is constantly kicking me in the ribs :( Not fun.

Unfortunately this means that my hiatus won't be coming to and end in the too-near future. However, hiatus or not, I am going to try and post new chapters to my stories when I can, because I hate feeling like I'm letting y'all down on this on top of everything else that's going on in my life. So please bear with me and I hope you enjoy what I've got coming!

Hayley