Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Seventy

The second and third weeks of her visit flew by, until the next thing we knew she was leaving back for Manitoba. She’d started an all-girls hockey camp in Winnipeg and Brandon; giving girls who played any level of hockey the chance to come out, do some drills, learn or work on some skills and have fun. We’d all thought it was an awesome idea, and seeing pictures and videos from the three-day camps were awesome. She’d even got some big-name women hockey players like Tessa Bonhomme and Hayley Wickenheiser to put in an appearance last year.

In that sense I was glad she was going back; it was doing something she was passionate about and loved. But at the same time I realized we still hadn’t talked everything through, and that scared me.

Things had been so good after those first few days, it was like we’d turned a new page, and started over from what had happened in Pittsburgh. It gave me the feeling that maybe if we left the past in the past and started from right now that things could be great; that I could have back the relationship I remembered. Spending time with her and talking with her made me see that I couldn’t just stand back and let someone step in, because I wasn’t willing to give her up. Not yet. And talking it all through? I didn’t know if my resolve would be as strong after knowing just how awful I’d been and how badly I didn’t deserve her.

We ordered pizza and had a few beers while watching a football game, just the five of us. Yesterday had been her big, ‘official’ going-away thing, where Eric and Marc had the boys out and running around and it had been fun, but today was just for us. Me, my brothers, and Cam; even mom and dad had cleared out, leaving the house to us for the night so we could spend it however we wanted. I’d offered my place, but that would include a long drive there and back I guess, and Cam’s flight left at ten o’clock tomorrow morning. Which meant be at the airport by about eight, so we didn’t want to make the drive any longer tomorrow.

The whole game was spent chaching each other; Marc had decided to cheer for Cam’s beloved Blue Bombers, while we continued to cheer for the Argonauts. It got to the point where we stopped talking about the game, and instead started telling stories. I stayed quiet though, content to let my brothers and Cam do all of the talking.

“You all right? You’re really quiet,” Cam asked as we walked to the kitchen together to get some snacks and another beer. We heard Eric and Jared let out a whoop and cheer, which told us that something had gone the right way for the Argo’s, but neither of us moved to leave the kitchen.

“I’m fine,” I assured her, but the look on her face told me she knew for a fact that I wasn’t.

“Jord,”

“I just don’t want you to leave tomorrow,” I admitted, and saw her expression soften before she closed the small space between us and wrapped her arms around me. I buried my face against her neck, taking a deep, calming breath before resting my chin on top of her head.

“I know Jord, but I can’t really miss my own hockey camp,” she teased, and I managed to chuckle before nodding.

“Yeah, I know. It’s just…”

“We didn’t get to talk,” she finished for me. Things had been so busy with trying to fit as much into our vacation together as possible we’d shrugged it off. We stood there for another few seconds, before Marc hollered and asked if everything was okay. I grabbed a few bags of chips and pretzels while Cam grabbed a couple of beers and we made our way back to the living room.

“Just couldn’t decide what to bring out,” she replied to him, giving him a nougie before flopping down to the couch next to him. He swung his arm up and put it around her shoulders, his eyes never leaving the TV screen as I sat next to her. I could feel Jared’s eyes on me, but I refused to meet his gaze, because he probably knew what had gone on.

“Typical,” Eric teased before grabbing a handful of chips and digging in. The remainder of the game was pretty quiet until the Bombers managed a touchdown that had Marc and Cam cheering and rubbing it in our faces when they made the conversion and pulled ahead. That lead held out till the end of the game, which had a happy smile on Cam’s face that I found contagious.

We stayed watching TV for another couple of hours, Eric and Marc both reluctant to say goodbye and leave. Finally though Eric pulled Cam in for a long hug, their conversation whispered and short before pulling away. He said goodbye to Jared and I before heading out and closing the screen door behind him. Marc took a little longer; hovering as long as he thought was possible before pulling Cam into a tight bear hug, their conversation carrying on outside and to Marc’s car. I saw Marc pull her in once more, before finally getting into his vehicle and pulling out of the driveway. Cam walked back in, her arms around herself before she walked inside and straight into my arms. Jared’s eyes widened, before he nodded and gave me a half-smile, patted her back and then went to sit down. It was a strange reaction considering he had a girlfriend, and that he seemed crazy for her, but as strange as it was I didn’t spend much time on it, instead pulling her in tighter and burying my face in her hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, part 1 of 2 today; they didn't make sense together in one chapter so here we go!

Also! Some exciting news in the note of the next chapter ;) Well, it's exciting to me anyway! Let me know what you think!