Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Seventy One

“So, you realize that this is the last year of your contract, and we are interested in re-signing you. You’ve been a huge factor on this team in the time that you’ve been here, and we’d like to keep you as long as you’ll stay. You have the ability to be a franchise player here Cam; right up there with Sid and Geno. People love seeing you play, and especially with all of the things you’ve done for the community and to help get girls involved,” Ray told me, and I nodded, sitting quietly in his office.

“We’re talking long-term Cam. As in an eight year, forty million contract; we want you here for the long haul,” Mario spoke up, making my jaw drop. I hadn’t expected anything like that; maybe another four year deal at most.

“W-wow, that’s…” I stuttered, making them chuckle for a moment. They were always able to predict my reaction to a T.

“We’re serious Cam. You’re a great player, and you mean a lot to this team and this city,” he continued, and I swallowed hard, wondering how on earth I could bring this up.

“I… I don’t even have words for that; it’s mind blowing,” they all smiled, making me feel even worse. “The only thing is… I don’t know where I’m going to be in eight years. I’m just… I mean it’s not like any of the guys where their career is unaffected by settling down and wanting to start a family; if I want that I can’t play. I don’t want you guys stuck with me on a payroll and I end up in that position where we get into a bad situation because either I’m feeling like you’re completely ruling my personal life or that I’m taking advantage of your contract.”

All three men were quiet. Obviously they hadn’t ever had to think about these details when negotiating contracts. Mario, Ray and Dan looked between each other, nobody able to come up with something to say.

“I hope you guys know how hard it is to say this to you. I absolutely love being part of this organization and this team and this city. You guys made everything I ever dreamed of being possible; I owe you guys everything for taking that chance on me when nobody else would have. I really hate to be turning down what would be a dream here, but at the same time…”

“At the same time you don’t want to sign away your chance of a personal life,” Dan finished for me. I nodded, glad that somebody understood what I was talking about.

“Well, um, we will re-write a contract… so you’re thinking a little shorter term, and we definitely need to look at a possibility of maternity leaves… something obviously a little unknown to NHL contracts,” Mario chuckled and soon the tension was gone from the room. I just hoped they understood that I wasn’t happy turning down such a deal, but that I really needed to do what was right for me in this situation.

“So, we’ll talk to you when we have something else for you?” Ray suggested. I nodded, and shook each of their hands before I was excused from the office. I let out a long breath as I walked down the hall, and when Sid saw me he gave me a wide grin.

“So, what’s the news? How long are you staying around? I heard they were giving you a big contract like Nealer’s,” I felt bad that he seemed so excited and I had no good news for him. After everything that had happened with Jordan the thought of losing more teammates was hard for him.
“I don’t know how long I’m staying yet Sid – we have to do some tweaking yet,” I informed him, and watched his expression fall.

“What? What did they offer you?” he asked, and we fell into step together as we walked towards the player’s lot.

“Eight years,”

“Are they offering you something really bad pay-wise? I mean, you should definitely be making a jump up from this one,”

“No, pay-wise was… incredible,” I chuckled, and then took a deep breath. “It’s just that there’s things I have to take into consideration that you guys don’t personal-life wise. I mean, if I want to start a family I can’t play Sid.”

It took a moment for my words to sink in and his cheeks to heat up a little bit once he put it all together. “Shit, I never thought of that…”

“Until a year or so ago? Me either. So I don’t want to feel trapped and I don’t want them to either. If I sign an eight year deal and want to start a family then either I’m going to feel pressured to not do it and keep playing or they’re going to be stuck paying me and I’m not playing. Either way it won’t be good, so we’re going to take another look at it,” I explained. He nodded, keeping quiet until we reached the lot and our vehicles. I’d finally upgraded to an Escalade; I’d fallen in love with Jordan’s and finally found the nerve to splurge on a vehicle.

“Makes sense – you have to do what’s right for you,” he agreed, and I smiled, thankful that he understood.

“Hey… you went up to Thunder Bay right? How is he doing?” he asked, fiddling with his hat and running his hand through his hair.

“He’s good. He’s training, he’s almost in hockey-season shape. His hands are a lot better,” I told him, and saw Sid’s face light up a little.

“So will he be back soon then?”

“He said his skating isn’t really there… he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to play again Sid. He’s so worried about all the catching up he’ll have to do… all the re-learning about plays and everything. He was talking about maybe coaching Parker’s hockey team this season,” Sid sighed before nodding.

“That would be good – he’d really like that. So uh… he’s really not planning on coming back to Pittsburgh then, is he?”

“I don’t know Sid. I wish I could tell you, but I don’t know. I think it’s hard for him to be here,” I admitted, and when Sid saw I was a little distressed he walked over and gave me a hug.

“It’s okay – probably just like it was hard for you to be in Thunder Bay?”

“Actually, after the first few days it was like I’d never left,” the surprise on his face mirrored the surprise I’d felt when I’d realized the fact.

“Really?”

“Really,” I confirmed, and he chuckled before letting his arms drop and taking a half-step back.

“That’s good. You probably had a hell of a time with the four of them then,” I nodded, and we talked about that for a few minutes until Sid cleared this throat. All of the nervous signs were there, but maybe I’d attributed them to the wrong thing. I thought that talking about Jordan was what caused it, but it was definitely something else.

“Spill it Cap,”

“It’s just… uh, I need some advice,” he finally sputtered out.

“Of course – what with?” he stuttered and stumbled over his words, until finally he held up a hand for me to wait a moment. He walked to his Range Rover and fished around in it for a moment before walking back over to me.

“This,” he told me, and opened the little velvet Tiffany’s box to display the beautiful diamond ring. I gasped, my hands flying to my mouth before I flung my arms around him.

“Oh my God! Sid I’m so happy for you!” I gushed, and he laughed as he closed the box and put it in his pocket.

“Thanks Cam – I just don’t know how to ask her,” he admitted, and I hugged him again, dancing on the spot with excitement for my captain and my best friend. We talked a while longer, deciding on a time to meet up and do some planning for the big proposal. He wanted to do something romantic and special but he didn’t want to be too overdone or cheesy, and I couldn’t believe he was asking me to help with something so huge.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys like this chapter!!

So - big news - well, this part is kind of bittersweet. We're almost to the end of [this chapter] of Cam and Jordan. Like 10-or so chapters left almost to the end. And I'm not sure if there will ever be a third installment or not - I feel like this second half turned more tedious than fun and enjoyable like the first half was. Not that I don't still love the characters, but... you probably know what I mean.

The exciting part - is that I'm planning to have this and One More Night posted in their respective entirety, and then I actually have a plan for a new story (Imagine that?)

I don't know if any of you read my Supernatural story, but lately that one has been nagging at me, and I've started drafting up a sequel idea. I thought it would kind of be neat to start that when Season 10 starts; it's been refreshing to actually want to write and have ideas, so I'm gonna run with wind while it's there, so to speak. And after looking through comments saw a lot of people were requesting a sequel to my Jared/Kassidy story.

So, I will leave this up to you guys

Depending on the end of One More Night, and you know, what you guys want to read, would you like a Jared/Kassidy sequel? Or a Marc/Bree sequel? Or do you guys want to see something totally different? I'm leaving story number 2 up to you guys, because if things keep going as they are, I may very well have this supernatural story done by the middle of August!

So keep me posted ;)

And thanks a million again for sticking with me and reading my stories - it really means the whole world to me

- Hayley