Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Eighty One

“Go… come on… you can’t cycle forever! You have to take a shot to score!” I hissed, watching through my fingers as the seconds ticked down on the penalty to the Canucks and the third period of game 7. Callahan had been slashed across the back of the knees by Bieksa and this was the Rangers chance to break the tie in regulation for the Cup.

“Come on…” Jordan was mumbling under his breath beside me, Jared was on his other side sitting on the edge of his chair, green eyes focused and he was muttering to himself. We were probably driving Lindsay, Henry and Linda crazy, but it really was to be expected from three hockey players.
“Shoot Marc shoot!” I hollered up on my feet as I saw him bring his stick back and then fire off a mean slap shot. There was a scramble in front of the net, before the goal light went on and the horn sounded through the arena. Marc jumped about three feet off the ice, and I had no doubt he was letting out the trademark Staal roar as his team all rushed out to congratulate him. All of us were on our feet screaming and clapping, before Lindsay and Linda burst into tears. Tanya was trying to keep the herd of Staal kids under control while we all freaked out, and without thinking Jordan and I turned to each other and pulled each other into tight hugs. I pulled away for a half a second and instead found Jordan’s lips crashing against mine; without a second thought I kissed him back, the excitement and adrenaline coursing through both of us.

It wasn’t until we pulled apart that we realized what we’d both done, and instantly our faces matched the red on the New York Rangers Jerseys we were both wearing. Nobody in Jordan’s family said a word, but the looks on their faces said it all for them. That kiss had spoke volumes to everybody in the box, both of us included.

“Come on! Let’s go see Marc!” Lindsay had Carter in her arms and was all but shaking, still trying to fend off the tears streaming down her cheeks. We knew we’d have to wait until all of the presentations were over to go on the ice and see him, so Linda and Tanya tried their best to calm her down a little bit.

We watched as Lundqvist took home the MVP, and then the moment we’d all been waiting for – they brought out the Stanley Cup and presented it to Cally. The moment it was in his hands we were all screaming at the top of our lungs and cheering as the entire team let out a collective holler and confetti filled the air inside Madison Square Garden. It was then that we all rushed to get through security to go down to ice level and see the newest Staal to have acquired a Stanley Cup championship.

“Marc!”

“WE DID IT! OH MY GOD WE DID IT!” Marc was still yelling as he picked up Lindsay, spun her around and pressed an intense kiss to her lips. The ball cap that said Stanley Cup Champions was sitting haphazardly on his head afterward as he engulfed his two little boys into a hug before being wrapped up in embraces by his parents, then his brothers.

“I’m so proud of you Marc!” I couldn’t help but gush as I wrapped my arms tightly around his shoulders. For all intents and purposes Marc was my big brother, and this season I’d wanted nothing more than to see him win. We’d had so many injuries we knew we were going to struggle for an off-season, and once we’d all realized that we were going to fall short I’d began rooting for Marc. Secretly, of course, until we were all done for the season.

“Thanks so much Cam – I still can’t believe we did it!” he grinned like the Cheshire cat, and I let him go so Lindsay could wrap him up in another hug and a kiss long enough to earn some cat calls from a few of his teammates. While the Staals were all celebrating I congratulated a few of the other guys that I knew from the Rangers; Lundqvist, Stepan, Callahan, McDonagh and Kreider, before I felt someone tap my shoulder. McDonagh grinned over my shoulder, and I looked to see Jordan standing sheepishly behind me.

“Wondered where you had disappeared to,” he explained, putting a hand gently on my waist. “Congratulations Mac.”

“Thanks Jordan!” they hugged quickly before he waved goodbye to me and went back to the group of his family and friends while Jordan led me back to the Staals.

“Why’d you leave?” he asked, and I shrugged.

“Wanted to give you guys time to celebrate together,”

“And just what makes you think you shouldn’t be included in that?” Jordan asked.

“Because you’re all family,” I answered, and felt my brow furrow slightly in confusion when he began to laugh.

“Cam, you are family. Don’t ever forget that,”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry It's so short! I have a midterm this afternoon that I'm supposed to be studying for... (It's not going well) so I thought I'd put this on here and then hopefully tonight or tomorrow have the next one :)