Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Eighty Six

“I can’t believe it… you know?” Cam asked, turning back to face me, a box of glassware in her arms. We’d finally agreed on and bought a place, and we were taking the week of the all-star game to move in. It was a fairly modest house, nothing like the monstrosities most of her teammates owned, but it suited us. A two-storey brick house that housed a double garage and a massive backyard was exactly what the doctor had ordered. And what the new addition to our little family needed.

“I know,” I agreed, before hearing the whining that was Misha in her kennel. After we’d both tripped over her several times we’d been forced to put her in the kennel where she was out of harm’s way and our dishes were safe.

“I know baby, it’s just until all the breakables are away,” Cam cooed, the little ball of fluff she called a Corgi whimpering at the sound of her voice, her massive ears turned towards us and the pout on.

We continued into the kitchen, glad to have the help of my sister’s in law and mother to unpack, so as quickly as we were bringing things in they were going away. Tanya and Lindsay had been down yesterday talking with Cam about where it made sense to put things, so we wouldn’t have to reorganize the entire space afterward.

“There’s just one more box and I think it’s pots and pans,” Cam told them, a wide smile on her face. Lindsay had worn a massive grin all day, and my mother had been the same. The boys were at the playground, my brothers keeping them occupied while we did this. They’d helped me move the bigger furniture that had arrived yesterday, and the girls knew that we’d be more of a hassle than a help in a kitchen.

“I’ll grab it,” I assured her, putting my box down on the table and making my way back to the SUV, just in time to see the rest of my family pull up. It was a really mild day, and a light jacket was all anybody had on for enjoying it.

“Uncle Jordy! Can we play with Misha yet?” Parker asked, brown eyes big as the other boys all crowded around as well. Misha had quickly become a favorite amongst my nephews.

“Just about, you’ll have to ask Aunty Cam okay?” I told them, and they all tore into the house, eager to get the puppy and some toys out. I watched them go, and my brothers came to stand beside me, with the exception of Jared who followed them inside. He’d been quiet the whole time they’d been down, and I’d learned that a recent – and apparently nasty – breakup with Natalie was to blame.

“You’ve got that look…” Eric smirked, and I looked to him, not having a clue what he meant.

“What look?” Marc chuckled at my bewilderment, and Eric shrugged.

“The same one Marc had before he started badgering Lindsay about kids,” he retorted, and I shrugged before grabbing the box. My lack of teasing response had both of them looking shocked, and it was my turn to grin.

“Come on, have you seen her with the boys? How can I not want that? After we’ve got this wedding out of the road and all,” talk about a headache, and that was for the both of us. Wedding planning was neither Cam nor I’s forte. Thank God for Vero, Becka, Tanya, Lindsay and our moms.

“You really have changed,” Marc commented, both of them grabbing whatever was left in the hatch before closing it.

“Oh?”

“It’s not a bad thing, it’s just… different. I’m glad though, Jord. You guys are so happy, and this house is amazing. Lindsay is so jealous it isn’t even funny,” he grumped, and we both laughed, knowing she’d be keeping tabs on Cam’s decorating choices and undoubtedly trying to talk Marc into making changes at home.

We walked in, nearly missing being run over by the herd of boys with doggie toys and the ball of fluff chasing after them, butt wiggling and all. They were headed for the living room, probably where Jared was, and so they’d be out of the road of unpacking.

“Here we go, last of it,” I announced, kissing Cam’s cheek as I put down the box in the corner of the hall. It wasn’t the pots and pans – Marc had that one – but it was full of stuff from before; pictures and frames, ticket stubs, a bunch of little things Cam had kept before our big breakup and I couldn’t wait to go through them with her.

“Misha looks like she’s having fun,” I grinned, and Cam laughed.

“She was so happy to be out of that kennel she just about had an accident,” she told me, and I groaned. 99% of the time she was house trained.

“It’s okay, we got her outside in time,” Tanya piped up, and in minutes the last of the kitchen was packed away.

“Hey, I’m gonna go pick up dad! We’ll grab pizza or something on the way back,” Jared called from the porch, and before we could reply he was out the door.

“Why’s he been so weird?” I asked, finally getting the question out in the open. I was met with silence, and when I looked to Cam she shrugged.

“I think he’s just taking the breakup really hard Jord. You’ve gotta give him some time,” was all she had for me, but a look to Marc and Eric told me otherwise. It had something to do with Cam, and they knew it. They’d told me it was the breakup, but something was just…off.

A loud and rowdy supper ensued once Jared and my dad got back – one that led to Misha having to be outside while the boys finished eating to ensure they were the ones actually eating the food – before they all decided to turn in for the night. It was strange, to actually have silence in our new house, because it had been so crazy the two days we’d had possession and been in it and moving.

“I love you Jord,” Cam whispered, snuggling into my side. I was laying on my back, staring up at the ceiling as I tried to come to terms with the fact we were in our house. Our own house.

“I love you too sweetheart. Isn’t this… just…”

“Amazing?” she supplied. All I could do was nod, and she lifted herself up on an elbow to look at me while she spoke.

“Yeah. I mean, this is our house,” I sighed, making her giggle before she pressed a butterfly soft kiss to the tip of my nose.

“Just think; once we get all unpacked and the last painting done…” she was staring into space, all the ideas undoubtedly running through her mind.

“And I build that damn dog house,” I grumped, making her laugh. She’d found an idea on some website – I think she called it pinterest – where the kennel was still in the house or garage, but had a door straight through to the yard so they could be inside but still have the run of the yard while we were gone. It would be nice to have if we were gone for the day or something, I just had yet to do so much as start planning for it.

“We’ll get there hon,” she insisted, snuggling back in as she pulled the blankets up some more.

“We will,” I agreed, and kissed her temple softly. It’d been a bumpy road, but finally it felt like this was where I belonged.

Where we belonged.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)