Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

I need a ride.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

“What the fuck?” She muttered groggily at the sound of the incessantly ringing cell phone. Glancing at the alarm clock on the nightstand, she huffed, “It’s three damn thirty in the morning. I am NOT answering the phone. Not happening.” She laid there and laid there trying to go back to sleep but the ringing of the phone wouldn’t stop. Her hand smacked the nightstand and she dragged the phone over to her. She glanced at the caller i.d. on the screen. “It’s him,” she acknowledged and without another thought answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Ash? That you?” He said stammered

“Yeah….it’s me...do you have any idea what time it is?”

“I know, I know….I just- I need a ride.” His voice broke.

She sighed, “Ok, tell me where you’re at and I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

She haphazardly threw on some jeans and a t-shirt , grabbed the car keys, and headed out the door. Sure it was three-thirty in the morning but this was something she’d grown accustomed in the12 years she’d known him. So, instead of giving herself the usual lecture, she just shrugged and drove off into the darkness to pick him up. ……again.

He was holding his head in his hands when the car pulled up. He didn’t know if it was the alcohol or the events that had taken place over the past week, but his head was throbbing immensely. The loud thud of the car door didn’t make it any better.

“Corey?” she said has she approached him sitting on the sidewalk bench.

“I’m sorry….” He mumbled without even looking up.

“Looks like you’ve had an eventful night,” she said sitting down next to him. “You ready to go home?”

“Nope….” He shook his head and finally looked up. “I kind of can’t go there...Me and Steph sort of…..well, we’re done.”

“Oh….,” she nodded. “All right…….where do you-“

“Can I just come to your place?”

There was something about that look on his face and in his eyes that she’d never been able to say ‘No’ to.

“Yeah…let’s go.” Her lips turned up in a comforting smile.