Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

Flashback Pt 1: The Meeting

*Flashback to April 7, 2000*

The nine of them had just finished their show and convened backstage for a celebration of sorts. There was alcohol, drugs, girls…all the makings for a heavy night of partying. While everyone was using the area as their own personal party area, she decided to slip outside for a smoke. When the door flung open suddenly, he jumped. He definitely wasn’t expecting it and it scared the shit out of him. Seeing it was just a girl, he shrugged and refocused on the burning cigarette in his hand. He was sitting on the ground it his back leaned against the building. He blew the smoke from his lips with a loud sigh.

“Not going to join the fun?” He heard her say. He pulled the flask out of his jacket and waved it to show her that he was having his own private party. She nodded, “Guess that’s just as good although you don’t look near as happy as everyone in there.”

He sighed, “Look, no offense, but I’m really not into hooking up tonight…..”

She rolled her eyes and stamped out her marlboro, “And, no offense, but neither am I. I just wanted a cigarette in peace. Sorry about the small talk.”

She began to walk away when she heard his low voice ask, “You got a name?”

She stopped and turned to answer him, “It’s Ashleigh. But you’re not interested remember?”

“Truth is….I could use a new friend.” He grumbled taking a swig from the flask he’d shown her minutes before.

She sat down next to him on the ground and looked him in the eyes. “What?” he asked thinking there was something wrong.

She shook her head, “Nothing.”

He took another swig of the mysterious liquid in his metal container. “You wanna go somewhere more…….not here?”

“Like where?”

“Shit. I don’t know.” He said standing up. “Can’t go in there. They’re too damn loud. Guess we could just go to the bus.” He reached his hand out to help her up.

“Well, thank you, Mr. Taylor.” She accepted his hand with a smile.

“Corey.” He corrected her. “Come on….”

The crept on to the bus and flipped a couple lights on. He grabbed a couple beers out of the mini fridge and set them on the table. Before he knew it, they were immersed in a conversation that had last for well over an hour about nothing specifically. He was really enjoying himself and was finally relaxed. He laughed at her as her words began to slur. The beers they’d been drinking were having their effect.

“What you laughing at?” she said guzzling some more beer.

“Right about now….you….” he chuckled.

“Well I don’t appreciate it.” She stammered.

He chuckled, “I think we both need to be cut off. We’re smashed.”

“Man, I gotta go home…”

“Do you have a ride? Because you definitely don’t need to fucking drive.” He noted.

“ummmm……I don’t know……” She yawned.

“We could,” he yawned also, “give you a ride.”

“I’ll be all right,” She stood up quickly and nearly hit the floor. Luckily, he was able to catch her. She laughed as he pulled her back up to the bench. She reached on the shelf over head and grabbed the camera that was setting there. “Let’s take a picture.”

He snickered, “If you say so…let me take it though……” He took the camera from her and messed with it for a few seconds trying to remember how to turn it on. “Ready?”

“Yep!” she said smiling and putting her face up close to his. He pressed the button and the flash nearly blinded them. “God, I hope I didn’t blink.” She giggled.

That was the last thing they remembered from the night before. They woke up at the sound of about eight voices mumbling over the top of them. Her eyes opened and she was startled by the 8 faces looking down at her.

“Morning!” they said in unison.

Just then Corey’s eyes opened, “The fuck?”

“Looks like you guys had a fun night.” Shawn said grinning and raising his eyebrows.

“Shut up.” Corey grumbled helping her up and holding his throbbing head.

“I am never……ever……drinking again.” She said running to the toilet to throw up. Upon hearing her, he went to check and make sure she was ok.

“Who is that?” Joey wondered out loud.

“Oh, I can’t wait to hear this….” Jim added.

They both came back into view. “We hung out last night after the show is all. I don’t want to hear any smart ass comments.”

“Hey guys.” She said mortified that they’d all gotten to see her hungover. “I’m going to go call a ride.” They talked amongst themselves while she was on a pay phone outside calling her friend up to get a ride home. “My ride will be here in 15.” She said walking back on to the bus.

He grabbed a piece of paper and ripped it in half, “Hey, before you go. Here’s my number. Write yours down?”

“Sure,” she nodded taking the pen from his hand.

And that was the beginning of a friendship that would grow strong and last (so far) over a decade. They knew things about each other that not everyone knew. She became the one person he could talk to when he felt like no one else wanted to listen. She had seen him go through more shit than anyone else and she was able to pull him through the most of it.