Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

It Worked.

It had been a couple hours and he was finally on his way back to her store from Shawn’s house. He carefully whipped his vehicle into the parallel parking that lined the sidewalks. He glanced up in his rearview mirror checking out the haircut he’d gotten from his buddy. He’d also trimmed his beard a little so that it was just a little scruff but not clean shaven. He got out and headed towards the entrance of the store. Stopping as he approached he peered in through the glass and saw her running around the place like crazy. Fixing displays. Hanging some new posters. This shop was her baby. Sure, they’d come up with the idea together but it wouldn’t have happened without her. She works so damn hard. He pushed the door open ringing the little bell at the top signaling his arrival. He had seen her walk in behind a fixture so he went in that general direction making sure to wave at Jaret behind the counter.

“Sup?” he said loudly turning the corner causing the action figures in her hand to hit the floor.

“Damn it, Corey.” She laughed at herself as she picked those figures up off the floor. “Quit doing that.”

“Shit. I can’t help it you’re jumpy.”

She turned to glance at him and a look of astonishment covered her face along with a smile, “You cut your hair.”

“You like it?” he asked wanting her opinion of his new, freshly cut mohawk.

“I love it. It suits you.” She blushed.

“Shawn did it.” He said rubbing the side of his head.

“You let him near you with a pair of clippers?” She laughed. “Must’ve really been desperate for a haircut.”

“Ha Ha Ha.” He said sarcastically. “So you gonna show me around this store or what?”

“All right, come one,” she said taking his hand. “Ummm……ok so over here is the music section……….movies are over here….” He followed her around happily. He really was proud of her and things she was doing. She was so smart. She really knew how to make something a success.

“This looks great, Ash.” He said beaming with pride.

“Thanks. That really means a lot coming from you.”

He couldn’t wipe that smile of his face. “So, you ready to go? Shawn’s getting in touch with everyone and I told him I’d go to the grocery store and pick up some stuff to throw on the grill.”

She nodded, “Just let me go in the office and finish up an e-mail and we can head out.”

“Oh yeah….Shawn suggested we all go to his place.” He added as he watched her finish typing her e-mail. “Since he’s got the pool, pool table, and grill set up and all.”

“K. Ready?” She said getting up from her chair after hitting the ‘send’ button.

“Let’s go.”

When they got to Shawn’s they immediately started getting the grill ready for all the food to be cooked. Not long after they’d gotten there, the other guys started to show up.

“How you doin’, punk?” Shawn smiled at her.

“Pretty good, you?”

“I’m all right…….working on a bunch of shit right now….”

“Yeah, Corey mentioned something about a production company and movies and stuff..”

“It’s going to be fucking awesome.” He said excitedly. “I can’t wait for it to get going.”

Everyone was kicked back, playing pool, and eating some food that Corey and Shawn had cooked on the grill. Corey was right. It was so good for her to see everyone altogether again. Everything felt right.

They were deep into a game of blackjack when they heard the doorbell ringing.

“Fuck……don’t look at my damn cards while I’m getting the door.” Shawn barked. “And I’ll know if any of you did….” A few seconds later he came back only to be preceded by Steph. Corey’s eyes shot passed her and to his friend who just shook his head and shrugged.

“Can we talk?” she asked her ‘husband’ poignantly.

“About?”

“I think you know.” She grumbled with her arms folded in front of her.

He rubbed his face with his hands and got up following her out to the yard.

“What’s she doing here?” Ash questioned to anyone who would answer.

“Probably trying to make up.” Sid said taking a large swig from his drink.

“undoubtedly.” Joey mumbled. “Maybe it won’t work this time….”

“This time?’

He nodded, “This is like the third or fourth time they’ve done the whole break up thing…usually lasts about a week….”

She worried for a second then remembered overhearing his conversation on the phone that morning about drawing up papers and a fast divorce. ‘It won’t happen this time.’ She thought to herself.

It had been a long time since they’d watched the spouses go outside to talk. All of them were wondering what was happening. A couple times they thought they’d heard them raise their voices. Her curiosity was growing stronger and getting the best of her.

“I’m going to see if either of them would like something to drink.” She announced standing up from their card game glancing at Shawn who nodded. She pushed the door open slowly and stepped outside. She glanced around the back side of the house until they came into view. She had just opened her mouth to ask about drinks when the sight before her stopped her in her tracks. They were kissing. She couldn’t believe it. Everything was a lie. An out-and-out, bold-faced lie. And she fell for it. Without a word, she turned and headed inside, flying through the room without so much as making eye contact let alone speaking to anyone. The men at the table looked at each other in confusion, but Shawn was the only one to jump up. He’d been kind of like an older brother to her so he felt some sort of responsibility to see what was up.

“Hey?” he called following her through his house. “Ash?”

She stopped and turned around, “I gotta go. You gotta phone I can use? I’ll just call a cab.”

“I can give you a ride. You don’t have to-“

“Just let me call the cab, Shawn.”

“Fine. Here.” He handed her the cell phone that was concealed in his pocket. She dialed the number quickly and before they knew it her cab was out front. Before stepping inside, she turned to Shawn, “oh, and tell Joey that it worked again….”