Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

Tomorrow

4 Weeks Later……….

“Hey.” Corey said waving at Jaret, who was busy checking someone out at the register. “Where she at?”

“In the office.”

He nodded and walked to the back of the store and knocked on the office door. “Babydoll?”

“It’s open.” He heard her call out so he turned the doorknob and stepped inside. “Ready to grab some lunch?”

“Mmmhmm,” she nodded spinning around in her chair. She jumped up and kissed him.

“I love you.” he smiled. “Now, let’s go.”

She took his hand and followed him out.

“Jaret, take care of this place while I’m out.” She said walking past the counter quickly. It was almost like he was dragging her out the door.

“Will do, boss lady.” He waved.

He drove them to a small bar-and-grill on the edge of town. He hadn’t been there in a while and thought it’d be a cool place to take her. There was a lot on his mind that he needed to discuss so he also hoped being there would put him at ease. They ordered a couple drinks and some reubens. While they waited on their food to be brought to their table, she noticed he was being a little more quiet than usual and was also very fidgety.

“Everything ok?” she asked sipping her drink.

He nodded, “Got some good news today……”

“Well, what is it?”

“Well, divorce is final and I get my house here back. Steph’s going back her hometown…where her family lives.”

“That’s good. I know how much you loved that house.”

He nodded and began with the more pressing issue, “We also got a studio booked to record the new Stone Sour album.”

“Oh, really? Where at?” She seemed to be very intrigued.

“Uhhh…..” he said killing time and taking another drink.

“Corey?”

“Vegas.” He finally answered.

“Oh,” she said her excitement falling a little flat. “Umm…when do you have to leave?”

“Tomorrow?” He said cautiously.

“Tomorrow? So, you found out today and you have to be there tomorrow?”

“I may have known…….for a little while….”

“How long is ‘a little while’?”

“A month and a half.” He mumbled.

“And you’re just now mentioning it?” She had a look of hurt in her eyes and it killed him. He knew this would be hard.

“I didn’t know how to say it.” He sighed. “We had just gotten together….and I didn’t want to ruin everything……I didn’t want this looming over us…..I guess I thought…..shit, I don’t know…” He trailed off. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok,” she said reaching for his hand. “I just….wish I had a little more than 24 hours to get used to you being gone….”

He half-smiled, “We can call and text everyday……it’s not like I’m going to be gone forever……..I’ll be finished in a couple months…….and then I-“ he stopped and sighed again.

“What’s wrong?”

“After that I have the Mayhem tour with Slipknot…..” he confessed.

“It’ll be okay.” She said trying to convince him…..and even more so herself. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.” He smiled back at her. “We’ll figure everything out.”

The next day she left work at lunchtime and drove him to the airport. Waiting in the terminal made their extended separation all the more real.

“This fucking sucks.” He said.

“Yeah…….but once you get out there and get to recording……. you’ll be happy.” She said trying to cheer him up as she leaned her head on his shoulders.

“Promise you’ll come visit me?” he almost pleaded.

“I will. Get there, get settled, and get going on everything. And let me know, and I’ll be there.”

An announcement came over the loudspeaker instructing the passengers for the flight to Vegas to begin boarding. He begrudgingly stood up and hung his bags off his shoulders.

“Call me when you get there.”

“I will.” He nodded. She reached up and spun the ball cap he was wearing backwards and gave him a kiss goodbye.