Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

What Happened?

“Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.” She groaned sitting up in the bed and instantly grabbing her head. “Why the hell does my head hurt so bad?”

“We’re hungover.” His voice mumbled next to her. She turned to look at him when he spoke. He ran his hand over his face in attempt to become more alert and something caught her eye causing her to do a double take.

“What’s that?” she blurted out.

“What’s what?” he yawned.

“That….on your hand.” She pointing to his left hand.

“Hmmmm.” He said glancing down at his hand. “Looks like a wedding band….” Glancing over at her hand he noticed she had one to match. “Hey, you’ve got one too!” He sort of laughed.

“What?!” she exclaimed looking down at her own hand. He was right. There was a ring on her finger just like his. “What the hell happened last night?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know……….last thing I remember was sitting on the couch at Jim’s….. I don’t even know how we got back here.”

She jumped up and looked out the window of his Vegas home, “Car’s not here. We must’ve taken a cab. We should call Jim maybe he remembers.”

He nodded and reached for his jacket that was in the floor. He reached into the pocket to grab his phone. “That’s weird….”

“What’s weird?”

“There’s rice in my pockets.” He huffed as he still fished around for his phone.

“You don’t think that we…. ….”

“ Check this out.” He said handing her a hastily folded wad of paper.

“Corey, we’re married. We got married.” She said reading the document.

“Now, how does that just happen? Let me see that again.” He grabbed the paper from her hand and looked them over. It was a receipt for the rings that were on their fingers. He noticed the look of worry on her face. “What’s wrong?”

“We got married last night, Corey.” She repeated herself. “And we can’t even remember it.”

“Come here. It’ll be ok.” He said wrapping his arms around her and kissing her head. Truth is...he didn’t mind the fact that they were apparently married. He would like to remember what happened though. “You wanna get ready and we’ll go to this place on the receipt? Bet they could tell us something.” She nodded. “Go get in the shower…I’ll make us some coffee.”

He watched her walk to the bathroom and shut the door. He looked down at the silver band wrapped around his finger and smiled to himself thinking of how he could get used to this idea. Walking down the steps, he noticed the light to the kitchen was still on. He shivered a little when his bare feet touched the cold, tile floor. After turning the coffee maker on, he rummaged through the cabinets getting the coffee, filters, and mugs and out of the corner of his eye, he saw a manila envelope on the counter of the kitchen’s island. He finished getting their morning wake-up ready to brew and reached for the envelope eager to see its contents. He took note of the stamp on the outside that read ‘Little White Chapel.’ Turning it upside down, some pictures and a couple documents slid out and landed on the counter. He spied a marriage certificate bearing both of their signatures and set it aside. The pictures were of them, some man he didn’t know (who appeared to be a minister), and some lady he didn’t (the apparent witness). He carefully placed the photos back in the envelope as not to smudge them.

He poured two cups of coffee, tucked the envelope under his arm, and headed upstairs. She was sitting on the bed halfway dressed and ringing her hair out.

“Hey.” He smiled. “Got the coffee. Found this too.”

“Thanks, and what is it?”

“Marriage certificate….and some pictures.” He said matter-of-factly.

“Oh,” she nodded and peered inside the envelope. “What are we going to do?”

“Well,” he began, “there’s two options. We could get it annulled.” He paused to check her reaction. “Or, we could stay married….”

“Well, I’m glad you’re so calm about everything…” she with a bit of an attitude.

His brow furrowed, “Ummmm…….am I supposed to *not* be calm?”

“You just act like it’s not a big deal at all.” She sighed. “You’re not even acknowledging that this was a huge mistak-…” She tried to cut herself off but it was too late.

“A huge what?” He said setting his cup of coffee on the nightstand somewhat loudly.

“That came out completely wrong….” She said with her head down.

“I see,” He nodded with a look of heartbreak in his big blue eyes. “I’m gonna go somewhere for a while.”

“Corey, please wait…” she jumped up after him. He was tossed on some jeans, a hoodie, and his flip flops before looking at her. “I didn’t mean it the way it came out. I swear to God.”

“I’ll be back.” He said letting his hand graze her cheek. She followed him down the steps and watched him walk out the door.

“Fuck.” She said admonishing herself and sitting down on the steps.

Not knowing what exactly to do or where to go, he settled for the only thing that came to mind. His tires screeched and his quickly turned the corner to head to the studio. When he flung the door open, he didn’t expect to see Josh sitting there and he didn’t really want the company.

“Sup!?” Josh waved.

“Nothing.”

“Ummm ok….what’s up your ass today?”

He shook his head and huffed, “Nothing…where the fuck is my notebook? Did someone take it again?I swear. I can’t have any fucking thing without something fucking taking it.”

“Dude. Calm the hell down.”

“Don’t tell me what to do.” He snapped.

“Seriously. What the hell is the problem? You and Ash get in to it or something?” He took his friend’s silence as the answer to that question. “What happened?”

“We went to Jim’s party last night….”

“Ummm….there’s more to the story, right?”

Corey held up his hand and pointed to his ring.

“why are you wearing that again?”

“its…..not the same ring….”

“wait……..what?”

“we woke up with wedding bands on this morning……”

“so you got married? Isn’t that ordinarily good news?”

“she got upset because she couldn’t remember anything….”

Josh nodded, “well, I can kind of understand that. Wait a second. You said ‘she’ and not ‘we’. Do you remember?” Corey didn’t say a word and just rubbed the back of his neck. “You do remember!”

“It’s not like I remember everything.” He said defending himself. “and I didn’t even remember anything at all until I found the certificate and the pictures and shit.”

“ok, what parts did you remember?”

“uhhhh…..the thing about honoring and obeying….and ‘I do’…..and kissing her…..”

“Bud, that’s pretty much the whole thing.”

“She said it was a mistake…… ‘a huge mistake’ was the actual wording….”

“She’s probably just in shock. And besides, your divorce has been final for all of what….3 weeks?”

“I don’t know what to do. I kind of stormed off and left her at the house.”

“All you have to do is get an annulment….if that’s what you want…..”

He sighed, “I don’t. I think she does but I don’t.”

“Dude, this just keeps getting more complex.” Josh shook his head and lightly chuckled. “You’ll figure it out. I’m going home.”

He sat there for a few minutes after his friend left contemplating how to handle this delicate situation.