Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

Friendzoned?

“Been awhile since I’ve been here.” He observed while unclipping the seat belt.

“Yeah…….well not like you haven’t been invited.” This remark flew out of her mouth so fast she didn’t even realize it and got out of the car quickly to avoid an awkward moment. She wrestled with the keys to lock the car door and find the house key. When she finally looked up, he was staring. “Sorry.” She said finally addressing her Freudian slip.

“It’s cool.” He sort of half-smiled. “Can we go in now?”

“Oh yeah, come on. Don’t pay attention. It’s a fucking wreck in there right now. Don’t have a lot of time for housekeeping and stuff..” She explained just before she opened the door. “There’s an extra bed room next to mine….if you want it…..or there’s the couch. It’s up to you.” She turned to him and smiled. “I’m gonna try and go back to sleep.”

As she walked to her bedroom, he followed her, because truthfully, it had been a long time since he’d been there and his memory of where things were wasn’t that vivid. He guessed at which of the doors led to the extra bedroom and was right. He laid down in the bed and, to his surprise, nodded off to sleep. In what seemed like only minutes later, a rhythmic thudding sound could be heard. Confused, he looked at the clock and read 8:33. Deciding to check out the source of the sound, he stumbled out of bed and stammered through the house. The more he shuffled, the louder the noise got. Finally, he stood in front of another door, stood there puzzled for a second, then turned the doorknob.

“Morning.” She said looking up from her run on the treadmill.

There she was. Shorts, tank top, sneakers, and her hair pulled up in a ponytail. He caught himself staring for a minute. Then turning the machine off, she spoke again. “Sleep ok?”

He nodded. “Heard you running….woke me up.”

“Sorry.” She said wiping the sweat from her forehead. “You hungry? I’ll get a shower and we can grab some food.”

“Sounds good. Probably going to try to get some of my clothes afterwards...and my car…..” He said now following her out of the room. “I got some errands I have to run today. Take care of some stuff.”

She turned and nodded to him. “That’s cool. I have the day off so I’ll probably just be around here.”

He went back in to the spare bedroom and slipped his blue jeans back on then popped his head in the doorway of her room. “You wanna hang out later today?

“Huh?” She was caught off guard.

“You wanna hang out later today?” He repeated himself.

“Oh….yeah….sure…” She smiled.

“Awesome. So let’s go grab that and my stuff. And I’ll do what I gotta do and we’ll meet back up.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Great.” He smiled. “and thanks for uhh…being a good friend.”

Good friend. Those two words kept echoing in here. She was just friend-zoned by Corey Taylor. She’d been used to that in the past 12 years. In truth, she’d known that they could never be more than really good friends. In the time they’d known each other, he’d made it more than abundantly clear. He had things to do, places to go, people to see….Hell, when it came to hanging, he blew her off more often than not. So, she really didn’t read deeply into his offer to hang out later that day. Surely, he’d get a phone call, as usual, then he’d have to rush off and meet someone else. It never failed.