Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

Just Some Girl.

“They’re great letters.” He explained as he watched her sort through them.

“I never realized I wrote this many…”

He nodded, “I think I got a new one every day. I read them all the time.”

“Really?”

“Yeah….that wasn’t my best year……the letters sort of gave me something to look forward to.”

She smiled, “ Wanna see something?”

“Like what?”

“Hang on a sec.” she said leaving the room. She came back in with an old shoe box and handed it to him. “Here.”

Confused, he lifted the lid and looked inside. His eyes widened in shock. There were a few letters, some postcards, emails, and even some little trinkets he’d almost forgotten about.

“I didn’t get many letters from you….but I saved the ones I did get, I saved.”

He laughed, “you kept this old,sweaty necklace I gave you? Wow.”

“Everything.” She admitted with reddened cheeks.

“You know…. I’ve never said it but……I’m sorry for all stupid shit I’ve done to you. I was a real asshole sometimes.”

“It’s ok…I mean….I was just some girl…..and you were….well you know…”

His head shook, “You’re not just some girl.” They were interrupted when his phone began blaring. “Sorry.” He said apologetically before answering the call.

There it was. That phone call that she knew would come and he would have to drop everything and go until some months or even a year later when he needed a late night designated driver.

“Ummm…..I can’t, man. I’m pretty busy at the moment. Take a rain check? All right, cool. See you, later.” He hung up the phone. “That was Shawn. He wants me to come work on some stuff with him.”

She shrugged, “If you gotta go, you gotta go. It’s ok.”

“I told him it could wait.” He winked. “This is more important.”

Then another interruption. The doorbell rang.

“That’s probably dinner.” She noted not quite knowing how to reply to his last statement. “I’ll go grab it.”

“Wait. Here.” He said getting his wallet and handing her a wad of cash. “Told you it was my treat.”

He watched her walk out of the room. He glanced around at the photos and letters that lay all around the room. It had all but been in front of him for the past six years. Now, it was being force fed to him so that he’d finally take notice. She’s been there for him this whole time and he’d finally realized it.