Status: In progress.

Laurie

Damaged Household

I cracked my door open to peak out. Downstairs Momma and Daddy were arguing. Something they were beginning to do a lot of lately.

"Dammit Janaya! When are you going to trust me!" Daddy yelled at her as I slipped from the safe haven of my room towards the staircase.

"It's not that I don't trust you, It's..." When I peered over the banister I saw Momma standing over Daddy. He was sitting at the end of the dinner table with his head resting in his hands. Momma's hair seemed tussled like she had been running her hands through it to comb it back nervously. Daddy looked up at her and took her hands. A few tears ran down her face as she looked away from him.

"What happened to us?" Daddy kindly asked her, his voice moments from breaking. She turned and looked at him.

"How do I know you haven't changed? It seems as if you don't..." She took one hand away from Daddy's to wipe her eyes. I didn't fully understand what she ment by 'changed', and that sent a quick patter through my chest.

"If you don't love me anymore." My heart felt as if it had sunken into my stomach. Daddy loved Momma with all of his heart. I wanted my love to be as strong as theirs was when I finally found the right person.

"Why did you have to do this to me!" Momma pulled away from Daddy and turned toward the staircase. I slipped backward toward my doorway.

"Janaya I told you I didn't have any part in it!" Daddy called after her. Momma continued up the stairs. I slipped back into my room and shut the door quietly just as she passed. I heard the click of my parent's bedroom door shut and then all was silent.

I looked at the picture resting on my nightstand from my sweet sixteen birthday party. Everyone wore a look of excitement and pride as Uncle Seth set the camera and ran back to stand in the group photo. Everyone in the family was there. It was a remarkable party, right before all of this happened. Quietly, I slipped back out of my room to peer over the banister. Daddy was no longer seated at the table. He was probably in his office where he often spent most of his time alone.

Ever since I remember, Aunt Pastelle had been trying to wreck Momma and Daddy's marriage. Momma once explained to me when we were having our one-on-one talks that the reason was because the love of her life, just after they had gotten married, had an affair with one of her best friends. It broke her heart so deeply that she replaced love with hatred and became jealous of Momma and Daddy's perfect relationship.

Two months ago Momma caught Aunt Pastelle seducing Daddy when Momma had gone off on one of her art gallery shows in another city. She had arrived home early as a surprise and was crushed when she saw Aunt Pastelle and what was happening. Momma never really confided in Daddy much after that, and the arguments began soon after. I really didn't know the details of what happened, but I hated Aunt Pastelle for nearly ruining their relationship. From what I remember Momma telling me Aunt Pastelle and her were very close growing up. It was horrible to think how Aunt Pastelle could have possibly done this to our family.

Taking one last look at the closed doorway, I turned to go down the stairs. Daddy's office door was almost closed. It was open just a crack, enough to see inside.

"Daddy?" I called just above a whisper. I opened the door further and peered inside. "Daddy?" I said in a normal voice. He looked away from the portrait of him and Momma on the wall above his desk to turn toward me.

"Hey Princess." He smiled even though I could tell by the look in his face he was hurting deep inside.

"Why don't you love Momma as much as you used to?" I quietly asked, surprised he heard me when his eyes narrowed and his nostrils flared.

"I love your mother very much Laurie. It hurts to see the look in her eyes as if she doesn't fully believe I really do." His eyes glassed over as he turned toward his desk.

"If you really loved each other, I thought nothing would matter." I wondered aloud in a low voice. He turned back to me with a look of surprise on his face.

"Sometimes I turn to look at you, and I wonder where my little girl has gone. I'm sorry all this happened. It's all my fault."

"No Daddy! It's not!" A look of anger showed itself on my face.

"You should probably go now." Daddy turned and walked behind his desk, reaching for the bottle of bourbon that I knew he always had there. Without realizing I was still there, he removed the cap and took a swig.

"Daddy you shouldn't..."

"Leave me now." Daddy turned his back to me. I was shocked at how stern he was. I was afraid. This past week since his and Momma's last argument he was resorting to drinking to drown his sorrows. I realized it, and was afraid to tell Momma. I had a feeling she already knew.

I slipped out quietly and went outside to the back yard. Standing on the deck, I saw the sun setting off into the horizon just behind the ocean. From our yard you could see the ocean along with lobster and oyster boats along the cape.

"Something the matter?" An unfamiliar male voice next to me asked. It took me by surprise, and I jumped. I turned and looked into the kind brown eyes of a boy who appeared to be only slightly older than myself.

"Didn't mean to startle you." He said kindly looking toward the way I once was.

"Who are you?" My breath caught in my throat and my heartbeat quickened as he turned to me and said, "Why, I'm your new next door neighbor."
♠ ♠ ♠
Created: 08/23/2006