Status: In progress.

Laurie

Danaus plexippus

Two months after the school year started, I relented and told Luke the truth about my family. We were sitting on the floor in my room one evening, studying and talking as our after school ritual.

“Maybe you should talk to your aunt. It might clear some stuff up.” Luke leaned on his side and turned a page in his textbook half-heartedly.

“I don’t think I should get in the middle of it, though.” I replied.

“From what you keep telling me, you already are. It’s really tense around here. It might help, you never know,” he shrugged. I sat up.

“You’re right. I’m done being treated like a child. I want everything to go back to normal.” We glanced at each other. “I am afraid to go alone,” I admitted.

“I will go with you, if you want,” he offered, flashing his handsome smile at me, and causing my heart to melt as always with that glint in his eye or a genuine smile whenever he saw me.

“You don’t have to, I mean, I don’t mean to be a burden or anything. I’m sorry to bother you with this drama. I know you have your own agenda going on with school and…” I rambled as he cut me off.

“I’d be happy to,” and with that decisive reply, I felt at ease.

Unconsciously, my hand slipped over his hand resting on the book, and he turned his over to hold it. I tilted my head to the side, feeling my face heat up, and held my breath as he leaned inches away from my face. It became difficult to think clearly, all I wanted to do was relieve the confusing thoughts and clear the tension that had been building up since we met. Whenever I thought about offering to become something more, I always pushed those thoughts away. I kept them deep down in the jar with those butterflies in the pit of my stomach.

Looking at Luke now, though, I could not help but be overwhelmed with those feelings, and the metaphorical contents of that jar were growing to the brim.

Luke shifted his eyes away for a moment, before leaning forward and locking eyes.

‘It can’t just be me, anymore,’ I thought, recognizing the intensity in his eyes.

“Can I?” He paused, questioning.

“Yeah,” I whispered, and leaned forward as our lips touched.

As if the first was a test, the second came with more fervor.

A step on the stairs outside my door creaked, causing both of us to leap back. I pretended to dig for something in my purse, and Luke went back to staring at his notebooks.

Momma peered around the corner of the door.

“It’s late, almost done studying you two?” Momma asked.

“Yes, we were just wrapping up, Momma.” I replied, inconspicuously placing my purse to the side and leaning away from Luke.

“Anything interesting being discussed?” Momma asked, raising her left eyebrow.

I held my breath as I looked at Luke with panic, hoping he would not mention our plan to visit Aunt Pastelle. I knew that would upset her, and possibly fuel more heated arguments between the family.

“Actually, I was trying to convince Laurie to go to homecoming with me,” Luke stated as he tapped his pencil against his chin, flashing a devious smile at Momma.

“You aren’t going to homecoming Laurie? You should go, why wouldn’t you go?” she leaned against the doorway, folding her arms.

“I am going, I was just thinking…. and,” I muttered, feeling embarrassed for no reason. After all, he was just improvising, and he never mentioned homecoming with me before.

“It’s all right, sweetie, I’m just giving you a hard time,” Momma giggled, turning to walk out. “Good night. I’m retiring for the evening.” Luke and I laughed and listened for her down the hallway.

“I’ve been wanting to do that for a while,” he said, breaking the silence. “I uh, I hope it was all right.” I nodded.

“You just made that up, right, you were not really planning on going to homecoming with me, right?” I asked, nervously, running my fingers through my pony tail resting on my shoulder.

“Actually, I was wanting to ask you about it for a while, I just never had the opportunity,” He shrugged, closing his books and stacking them to the side.

“Really? Never had an opportunity, when we have been spending every day together?” I snickered. ‘Could he not just admit he did not want to go with me, he honestly does not seem as if he wanted to,’ I thought.

“So I was a little shy about asking you, sorry. I thought you might have had plans with Mr. Popular."

I looked at him, puzzled, before it clicked. "Jackson?" I guffawed. "Why would I go with him?"

Luke shifted his eyes back to his book. "You've been talking to him, I don't know."

"Luke," I sighed, "I would never, he's just, and, ugh." I mumbled frustrated, shaking my head. If only he knew how much I detested Jackson and boys of his kind.

He smirked before leaning forward. “Does this mean you'll think about going with me?”

“Of course! I just never imagined you would want to go with me of all the girls in school who fawn over you.” I watched him collect his books and we both stood.

“Why would I not want to go with the prettiest girl in school?” He stated matter-of-factually, causing me to blush.

“Oh,” I muttered, he laughed at my disbelief.

“Why is that so difficult for you to believe?” He asked, walking out of my room and down the hallway to the stairs.

“I never imagined you could feel the same way, I suppose,” I mumbled to myself, not aware that he had heard me.

“I do, Laurie.” He said as we reached the front door. As he opened it, he leaned and gave me a quick, but soft peck on the cheek. “I care about you. Tomorrow we will go visit your Aunt, and don’t lose any sleep tonight. Everything will work out." He flashed me a smile, and all I could do was nod.

After I closed the front door, I leaned up against it. He kissed me. I shook my head in disbelief.

I wanted to stop by Momma’s room and spill what had happened with her, but as I reached her door, I heard her and Daddy talking. I backed away, happy that they were at least on speaking terms. From the tone of their voices, I could tell they were not arguing, which reassured me that I had to talk to Aunt Pastelle and figure out a way to keep Momma and Daddy together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jealousy much? Jackson will not go away. I had to edit this chapter.