'Till Death Do Us Part

4/5

“Owen, have you eaten yet?”

“No I haven't. Why?”

“Well I've brought you a sandwich.” Tosh went over and handed him a plastic container. “Cheese and pickle, right?”

“How did you know?” He stared at her in amazement.

“I've realized that every time Ianto doesn't bring lunch, you go and buy cheese and pickle sandwiches.” She saw Owen raise an eyebrow and quickly added, “Just an observation.”

“I do, don't I? You're such a good observer Tosh.” He took a bite and between bites; said, “You haven't just made for me right? Have you got one too?”

“I've got smoked salmon.” She held up another container and gave him a small smile.

“Well, thanks for the sandwich Tosh.”

“I-I was wondering...” She started again. “If you'd maybe like to have lunch together? I know you're already eating, but - “

“Can't. I'm busy.”

“You're gonna eat with Gwen, I suppose?”

“Gwen and I broke it off.” He held a sandwich in one hand and a pen in another, scribbling things down.

“Why? I-I mean it's none of my business, but you two seemed to be...enjoying yourselves.”

“It's been a week. She was getting boring anyway.” He scoffed.

“Really?”

“She agreed with it. I guess she got tired of sleeping around.”

Is this what would have happened if we dated? Tosh thought with gloom. He would lose interest eventually and toss me aside?

“Hey Tosh. Whatever happened to that pool tournament day you were organizing?”

The pool tournament. He had to mention it. The bloody pool tournament!

“That? It was never a tournament. Well, at least between the gang...” Tosh's thin eyebrows furrowed together.

“What was that all about then?”

“It was supposed to be date.”

“Sorry?”

“I was asking you out on a date.” She said it again louder, with more confidence. After a split second, however, her eyes grew open and her smile dropped slightly. The words that came out of her mouth, the absolute truth, she was unaware she had said it.

“A....a date?” Owen was absolutely baffled, his lanky lips curved into a slight an O shape.

“You didn't realize?”

“A date? You and me? Alone?”

“That's what a date is, isn't it?”

“I see. And....you still want that?”

Tosh continued to stare at Owen, wide-eyed before quickly replying,“Yeah!” Owen continued to study her expression. “I just thought if we spent some time together, an evening...”

“All right.”

“S-Sorry?” Tosh eyes grew wider than ever as he looked away. Perhaps it was her heart beating, loud enough to the point where she hadn't heart Owen correctly.

“Yeah.” Owen didn't look up at her and instead, bent down towards his paperwork.

“Are you being sarcastic?” She asked, doubtfully.

“No.”

“Y-you're just being polite. You'll stand me up.”

I've just said yes, haven't I? Look, one date, see how it goes, which might be nowhere.”

“That's fine.” Her lips were no longer a doubtful frown, but a beaming smile. “A drink.”

“Would I have to pay?”

“I asked, I'll pay.”

“Right then.” He looked up at her, chewing lightly at the end of his pen. “Just cos' of this, doesn't mean I'm going to stop flirting with other women. Alright?”

“You can be the king of flirts.” He gave her a small smile.

Their moment was then interrupted by an ear-splitting alarm, emitted from Tosh's multiple computer screens.

“What's happening?”

“I don't know.” Tosh ran over to the computer and frowned. “Strange. There are heat signals all over the city.”

“So what? All humans have heat.”

“One problem. They're inhuman.”

Owen's carefree face changed to a look of horror. “Oh god.”

“I'll pull up the satellite cams to get a better view of what these creatures are.”She pulled up a screen, her face then growing pale at what she saw.

“What is it?”

“Weevils.” She replied quietly.

“What? Let me see!” He ran over to the screen. “They're....They're everywhere!” He slammed his fist on the desk. “Bollocks! They're supposed to reside in the sewer! What the hell are they doing on the surface?”

“An imbalance in nature?” She suggested.

“We gotta tell Jack.”

“Already on it!” The two looked up to see Jack leaving his office and slipping on his black, signature, trench coat. “The police are all in distress, because of the weevils running around in the city. They don't know how to deal it because they're not human! Gwen just phoned too. The lights are going on and off at the hospital. She thinks there might be a - “

The lights started to flicker.

“blackout.” He finished.

“Blackouts, weevils running around the city, what's happening Jack?” Owen demanded.

“I don't know! That's why we're going outside to find out.” He opened a chest nearest to him and began pulling out pistols. He began tossing them to everyone. “You all remember the weevils right?”

“Vicious bastards, they are.” Owen scowled, cocking his gun.

“Where's Ianto!?” cried Jack.

“Sir, we've got bad news.” Ianto announced, coming in view and out of breath. “The Turnmill Nuclear Power Plant is in risk of going into meltdown.”

“See now I know that someone is trying to get our attention. “ Jack tossed the final gun to Ianto. “Gwen and the police will go and maintain peace in the city. I'll go and capture all the weevils. Ianto will see what he can do about the electricity. Tosh and Owen, you two go to the power plant and stop the meltdown alright?”

“Got it!” They both stole a glance at one another and shared a determined smile.



“Are we almost to the power plant?” Owen asked impatiently as he sped the car across the city.

“Just another two miles.”

Because it was Owen's car, it did not contain Torchwood equipment. All Tosh had equipped was a portable black device that she had constructed herself. It ranged from being a GPA to being quite the hacker, easily cracking down security codes.

“You scared?”

“Of course not. This isn't the first time we're dealing with weevils.”

“But a whole mob of them?”

“Only a bit of a challenge.” She cocked her own gun. “I love challenges.”

Owen gave her a smirk and turned his eyes back to the road. A gasp suddenly escaped his lips as he slammed his foot on the brake. The car jerked forward and the two would have crashed into the windshield if not for their seat belts.

“Jesus!” Owen bashed the wheel in frustration.

“What's wrong? Why did you stop!?”

“Look ahead, Tosh.”

A weevil. Right in the middle of the road. It was six feet tall, humanoid enough in shape to be easily mistaken for a human from a distance. The creatures wore blue jumpsuits, no one was sure why, but it did not disguise the prickly brown hairs growing out of similar colored skin. Its head was slightly bigger than humans with a scrunched face. It bore piercing black eyes, long fangs, and the rage of a wild animal.

This weevil was not different from others. One didn't have to study it to know the creature fell into the rift, their senses heightened by bright, industrial surroundings and the smell of easy prey. Tosh squinted and could see the weevil chewing something. Upon realization, she slapped her hand over her mouth to prevent anymore nausea from sinking in.

“Whoever is doing all this,” Owen could no longer look at the gruesome scene. “They've made the weevils even more vicious than usual.”

“That poor man...”

“We've got to keep moving. It's too late to identify him....or at least what's left of him.”

Owen ignited the engine and the car roared to life, letting out fierce battle cries through its exhaust pipe. He floored the gas pedal and within a matter of seconds, the weevil had flown across the air and landed limply on the ground.

“Owen! Watch out!”

Everything had happened so fast in reality, but was slow motion through Toshs's terrified eyes. Owen let out a surprise cry and the car began to swerve. Crash after crash, the car had flipped several times before finally crashing to the earth.

“Tosh! Are you alright?” His voice was strained.

“I'm fine. Just a little shaken.” Although her breaths were heavy, she had managed to regain her composure, simply brushing away broken glass off her jacket.

“I'm sorry, but we're gonna have to go on foot now.”

“I've been dying for a little excitement anyway.” She still managed to smile.

“That's what I like about you Tosh. You're a girl who actually likes to get her hands dirty.” Owen's veins were visible as he clenched his gun. “Ready?” She nodded, clicking off her seatbelt. “One.” Deep breath. “Two.” Tosh stuffed the device in her pocket. “Three!”

They jumped out of the car, broken glass and all, holding their guns up high. There was a herd of weevils spread out on the road, feeding on the remains of the power plant workers, who had escaped the place in terror after discovering the possible meltdown. The weevils had reminded Tosh of hyenas, biting of nips and pieces of what used to be a perfect human body.

“Remember. One bullet doesn't stop them. The most it can do is slow them, make them fall, cause a bit of an injury.” Tosh warned. “We probably need to pump at least four bullets into their bodies before they can actually die.”

“I don't care. As long as I can shoot these bastards.” He shot the ground, causing each head to look up. Instantly they forgot all about the corpses, senses elevated by the smell of fresh meat. Low snarls escaped their lips as they stared the pair of humans down. Without warning, Owen shot one of the weevils, straight through its skull. It staggered for a bit before finally collapsing, not dead, but simply stunned. “That's what you get for fucking up my car the second time.”

“We've got no time to stand around and kill them all!" Tosh cried as the weevils began to charge. “We've got to hurry.”

“Got it!” The two began to run, while simultaneously shooting. Most of the weevils had began to slow down, after getting hit by a single bullet. Some required two bullets.

“Tosh look out!” She turned and a weevil prounced on her back. “Tosh!”

She hit the ground hard and felt her head spin, from the impact with the road. Her vision became groggy, but she could still see the savagery above her, holding her down, teeth snapping.

“I'm fine! This one is just a little stubborn.” The weevil roared and knocked the gun away, its claws inflicting injury on her hand as well. The blood pulsing out of her wrist seemed to stimulate the weevil even more as he began to thrash around violently. Tosh quickly grabbed its wrists to prevent the claws from coming in contact with her again. However, being much bigger and stronger, she found it hard to keep it still. She looked away as its face was just a few inches from her face now. She could smell the repugnant odor from its breath. She peaked at the terrible face and looked into its eyes.

She could see it all. The resentment. It resembled humans.

And for that reason, it made her deathly frightened.

“GET OFF OF HER.” Her screams were interrupted by the sound of a gun shot. The weevil on top of her let out an agonizing screech and Tosh could see blood dripping from its back. “Get the fuck off of her!” The weevil took a second shot to the back. And soon, the third.

“Owen...” Tosh was trembling, tiny tears falling down her cheeks.

He kicked the dead weevil's body away and helped her to her feet. “Tosh, are you alright?”

“The look in its eyes.” She barely whispered. “Is that how we'll look like when rage consumes us?”

“Don't be ridiculous.” He ripped a part of his sleeve and wrapped it around around her hand. “There, that should stop the bleeding for now.”

“There's more of them!?” A new set of weevils began to appear, as if they seem to be multiplying out of nowhere. She turned back to Owen, but his eyes were now fixed upon the creatures.

“The Power Plant isn't far from here. I'll hold up the weevils.”

“I can't just leave you here!”

“Just go! I'll meet you there!” He cried, giving her a light shove. “Trust me, I won't die easily.” Owen gave her a smile, a hopeful one. “After all, you still got that date to look forward to, haven't you?”

Tosh wiped away her tears and returned a weak smile, before dashing off to the Power Plant.
♠ ♠ ♠
Date conversation from Torchwood episode, "Reset."