Secret

Escape

Running, faster and faster, getting farther and farther away from my so called home... The rocks beneath my bare feet digging deep into me flesh, I'm almost positive there is a bloody trail behind me now... Tears were streaming from my eyes and running down my face... or maybe that's rain... I don't know when it started to rain, it was a clear night when I'd left my house... I've had the feeling of being followed now for... half an hour? Still I don't look back... still I keep myself from knowing who it is that is watching... I don't want to be forced to picture the nightmares they'd have for months after this... The sound of water rushing in the night fill my ears, I'm here... The sharp rocks that make up the gravel trail turn into an oddly comforting and soft cobblestone bridge. I slow down to a jog... then I stop completely. One deep breath... two... three... I collapse to my knees and break down crying. I know what my future holds for me if I deny myself this escape... I know which is better... I look at the damage the gravel has done, blood is dripping onto the bridge... I stand up and walk to the side of the bridge, the stone railing rising up to my waist. The water below is roaring angrily, it's pull would be deadly. I stare below, the rapids swirling and crashing... My breathing is shaky, uneven. the tears fall faster but I'm not crying out of sadness, but determination. I grabbed hold of the railing, the cold, wet stones making my hand slip a bit. I pulled myself up and stood high above the river. for the first time in so many years, I was going to be free.
Footsteps echoed... someone was running towards me.
"STOP!" I yelled, then whispered "I'm sorry" and I fell forward, my feet slipping from the stone and the wind whipping through my hair. This moment lasted for what seemed to be forever, this moment of peace and freedom before impact, and for the first time in so long, I REALLY smiled and everything went black as I hit the icy water.
You must be very confused, shall I start from the beginning?
Alright then, My name is Secret Pike, strange name I'm aware, but you're about to read my story. It's long, so I hope you have the patience to get through it all... I could go back years and explain how my father abused me, how my older sister was his favorite and my younger sister had no clue because she was "mommy's angel" and I suppose that should play a big role in my story, but this really began with a rose and a simple text.