Status: complete.

The Point of No Return

Thinking

Annalisa’s smile almost reached her ears.

A couple weeks ago, Annalisa had told Nicklas how she would love to see big cities, but the only time she saw them was from afar when she was competing. She never got to go to a big city just for fun. That’s when he took it upon himself to buy a plane ticket for her and surprise her.

The Capitals had a game against the Rangers that night, and she’d flown out to New York to see him play. After his morning skate, he met her and they went out for a little bit. She didn’t see much, as the game was only a couple hours away, but the fact that he’d done this for her was enough to make her smile.

“And that,” he said as they turned a corner and he raised his hand. “Is Madison Square Garden, where we’re playing tonight.”

“Wow,” she said, breathless.

The building that was still two blocks away was huge. It loomed in the distance, and even though there were taller skyscrapers all around it, it was still mammoth.

“C’mon, I hate to cut this short, but I’ve got to go nap.”

“Alright,” Annalisa said smiling and following him.

Somehow he’d managed to get a room for her in the same hotel the team was staying at and they walked through the doors together. They chatted quietly as they rode the elevator up.

Nicklas opened the door to the room he was sharing with Mike Green and they walked in. Mike was sitting on his bed with his laptop on top of his crossed legs. He smiled and said hello as they entered.

Nicklas immediately went and changed as Annalisa made herself comfortable on his bed. Mike tossed her the remote and she started flipping through the channels. She found herself landing on ESPN and Mike chuckled.

“Do you really watch ESPN or are you doing that because you’re in a room with two guys?”

“I really watch ESPN,” she said, smiling.

Nicklas came back out in a t-shirt and sweatpants, his hair still slicked back and he laid down on the bed. Annalisa laughed at his back, but continued to watch television. Within minutes, Nicklas was asleep, snoring softly from his side of the bed.

He rolled from his position on his back and then to lie on his side. His hand shot out and rested on her hip where her jeans stopped and her shirt started.

“He talks about you all the time,” Mike said without looking up from his computer.

“We’re good friends,” Annalisa said.

“Nicklas and I are good friends,” Mike said with a smirk. “That boy has the world’s biggest crush on you.”

Annalisa looked at him for a minute before she looked back at the television. There was no way Nicklas could have a crush on her. She scoffed; of course he didn’t have a crush on her.

She stood up and placed the remote on Mike’s bed. “Tell him to come see me before he leaves, yeah?”

Mike just nodded and she headed out the door and up to her room. She immediately moved to take a shower so she could think.

Nicklas had never said anything to show he was interested in her in that way. He’d always been close and since they’d gotten closer he’d acted protective of her. There was the one time when they were out with his teammates and he’d kept his arm around her, but she’d just brushed it off as he wanted to make her comfortable. Now, she had her doubts.

Was Mike right?

**


After the game, Annalisa moved down to the bottom of the stands to where Nicklas and the rest of his team had just gone into the tunnel. They’d lost to the Rangers, and for some reason Annalisa was anxious to see Nicklas. He’d had a chance to get the game-tying goal and he’d been shut out and she knew he was upset.

She sent him a text and within a few minutes, he appeared back down the tunnel, signaling to the officials to let her come through. With their help, she went through the doors and smiled as she hugged him.

“I’m all sweaty,” he said, scrunching up his face.

“That’s alright. You played amazing.”

“We lost,” he said and his face fell.

“You can’t win them all, Nick.”

“I know, but still. I should’ve had that goal,” He said and shook his head.

“You’ll get them next time,” Annisa said with a smile.

“Thank you, sugar,” he said with a smile.

A noise from behind them drew their attention and they looked back out over Madison Square Garden. Annalisa’s eyes crinkled as she smiled, a small dimple appeared in her cheek and to Nicklas she had never looked more amazing.

She was wearing a pair of jeans that clung to her body, a black pair of boots and one of his jerseys that he’d given to her. Her wheat colored hair was flowing down by her shoulders, just the way he liked it. She always wore it in a bun or ponytail and he relished the days she had it straight. Her eyes were drawn back to him and he couldn’t help himself.

He leaned in and captured her lips with his. His hand cupped the back of her neck and his fingers splayed down to her neck, pulling her in closer to him. His right hand gripped her hip and he felt her kiss him back.

Suddenly, she pulled back and stared at him.

“I’m sorry,” she said with tear-filled eyes.

He couldn’t say anything as he watched her walk away from him.

She felt as if she was betraying herself when she kissed him. She had feelings for Marcus, not Nicklas. Her fingers remained on her lips as she made her way to the hotel. Once inside, she packed all of her things up and headed for the airport, ready to go home.

Her phone rang and she saw Nicklas’ number appear. She muted the ringer and leaned back in her seat on the plane as it took off.