Get a Life

Where is the Love

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30

-

9:43 a.m.

So Lover Boy has only been talking to me to ask for pencils or to give me drink orders.

At the moment, Nina is synonymous with woe.

Seriously.

-

-

10:18 a.m.

So Gabe's head is in perfect range to be speared with my pencil.

-

-

10:19 a.m.

Borrowed Victoria's sharpener during math.

-

-

10:20 a.m.

Broke the led.

Damn.

-

-

10:21 a.m.

…Broke the led again.

-

-

10:25 a.m.

Threw Victoria's sharpener at him instead.

-

-

10:26 a.m.

Missed and hit the teacher's head.

-

-

10:27 a.m.

Shit.

-

-

12:03 p.m.

"You broke my sharpener?!" Victoria all but screamed.

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't break it you douche, I lost it. It bounced off of the chemistry teacher's face and fell somewhere. I was too busy trying to not look guilty to notice where it fell to therefore no, Victoria, you lameass, I did not break your sharpener."

Yep.

"I lost it."

-

-

12:04 p.m.

"Why the heck did you throw it at the teacher?!"

-

-

12:05 p.m.

"I was aiming for Gabe," I scoffed, flicking a grape from my fruit salad at her head, watching miserably as it instead went over her shoulder and hit the guy at the other table. "And then I missed and hit him instead. And got a detention."

-

-

12:06 p.m.

"Why were you aiming for Gabe?"

-

-

12:10 p.m.

Victoria can't seem to grasp the seriousness of the Gabe Issue.

She doesn't think that I have a chance with Lover Boy, I bet despite all the Moments I told her about.

That's why she doesn't care that Gabe totally ruined all my progress.

(…or the lack thereof?)

See, when I told her about the Gabe Issue, Victoria simply clapped like a moron, disregarded my forming feelings for Lover Boy and cooed about how Gabe was still apparently in love with. Maybe I would believe that if he had at least talked to me after the Issue took place!

I mean, he messed things up with Lover Boy and now he's ignoring me.

I get that I kicked him in the shin but could he at least give me an explanation for kissing me so randomly?!

GOD!

-

-

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 1

-

2:52 p.m.

I should just tell Sarah I can't work Wednesdays altogether.

I guess it's good though that detention is always on Wednesday. At least when I know about said detainment in advance, I can trade shifts with Terri… I would try with Lover Boy because at least I wouldn't have to call him considering he sits in front of me in math – and is in three of my classes – but he doesn't seem to like me all that much.

-

-

2:53 p.m.

Damnit, Gabe!

He's such a…

A cock block!

-

-

2:54 p.m.

Or whatever guys call them.

-

-

3:11 p.m.

Mr. McCray's on detention duty this week.

He seems to be relatively aware of my internal Woe.

"Are you okay, Nina?" he asked, sitting down in the empty chair beside me.

This is almost pathetic. No, not almost, it is pathetic! I mean, freaking hell, I'm being comforted by a teacher – although not really because all he's done is ask if I'm alright. This just shows that I have one friend and one friend only (Victoria, I mean, not Mr. McCray, ew…).

Oh, my God.

I am pathetic.

-

-

3:12 p.m.

"No!" I just about yelled. "No, Mr. McCray, I am not okay!"

-

-

3:13 p.m.

He didn't reply so I looked at him.

-

-

3:14 p.m.

He's reading his porn.

-

-

3:15 p.m.

I hate him.
-

-

3:16 p.m.

SERIOUSLY.

-

-

5:57 p.m.

Karen's making dinner. Wow.

I should probably start taking things out of the house – starting with my Boots.

I'd rather not have them turn to ash when she burns the kitchen down.

-

-

6:04 p.m.

Smoke alarm went off.

-

-

6:21 p.m.

"Why don't you just get take-out?" I suggested.

I was hoping she'd say no since watching Karen attempt to cook was entertaining as hell – she sucks – but instead, my dear sister stopped stirring whatever she was stirring and looked at me with a very serious expression.

"You know what? I think I will."

Nodding, I asked, "Why are you making dinner?"

-

-

6:22 p.m.

"Isaac's coming over tonight."

-

-

6:23 p.m.

Trying to find words.

-

-

6:24 p.m.

"WHAT?!"

-

-

6:29 p.m.

Isaac, while absolutely positively freaking gorgeous was something of an ass, in my humble opinion.

He broke up with my sister when she was in grade twelve and he was starting off in university – something about how a long-distance relationship was too annoying to deal with and that she should just move on and not take things too hard.

That summer before she showed him off to university?

Yeah. Hm. He was an Epic Ass.

Seriously! He was always blowing her off and they were always fighting and ugh!

When they finished, Karen cried over him for weeks – months, really, but she started doing it privately in her room so I can't quite call her on it.

Point is: I did not want my sister getting hurt again.

-

-

6:30 p.m.

Karen frowned at me. "What's wrong with Isaac?"

"What do you mean 'what's wrong with Isaac'?!" I roared, throwing a stray piece of onion at her. "Do you not remember how depressed you were, over that guy? I gained five pounds from having to eat all that ice cream with you!"

She rolled his eyes. "He's different now, Nina."

-

-

6:31 p.m.

Karen is my big sister.

I can't help the protectiveness I have for her – she's like that with me too, unfortunately.

And I can't help the grudge I have against Isaac either.

-

-

6:32 p.m.

"Whatever," I muttered. "What time is dinner?"

"I told Isaac to come at seven," Karin replied a she flipped through the menu for the Chinese restaurant down the street. "We're probably going to eat around seven thirty."

"Fine. I'm going out for coffee."

-

-

6:45 p.m.

Lover Boy isn't here.

Damn.

-

-

6:50 p.m.

"Can I get a white mocha?" I asked Terri. "And could you put whipped cream on it, please?"

Terri seemed distracted though. The whole time she was watching this dude in the corner of the shop, drinking what looked like a tall double java chip frappuccino. He was rather peculiar looking, to be frank, with his black bowl-cut, pushy eyebrows and green track suit.

"Who's he?" I inquired when Terri refrained from working on my drink.

She practically jumped when she heard me. I mean hello, white mocha? She shook her head and sighed.

"Oh, sorry about that…" Terri started steaming the milk while staring at the dude with a frown while I wondered how long it would take for her to burn herself. "That's Lee – shit! OW!" Oh. It sounds like Terri finally burned herself. She gritted her teeth as she continued, "He's a good friend of mine."

"Ah." I smiled evilly. "Friend?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, friend. Believe me, we're just friends."

Obviously I did not believe her.

"Really now?"

"He's um… he's down with the rainbow, Nina," Terri concluded, finishing the drink off with a touch of whipped cream before handing it to me.

-

-

6:51 p.m.

"Oh."

-

-

6:52 p.m.

Sitting by my lonesome at the few stools at the counter no one ever sits at.

I'd nab a muffin but since Karen's ordering Chinese, I think I'll save some money.

-

-

7:00 p.m.

Um.

I have no words to describe what I just saw.

-

-

7:01 p.m.

Screw this.

I'm going home.

-

-

7:31 p.m.

Karen asked me to open the door for Isaac because she was too busy putting the Chinese in pretty dishes, attempting to make it look like she actually cooked.

I did so.

Isaac was at the door with a bouquet of red roses in one hand and a white box with a perfect looking ribbon on top of it.

"Ah, good evening, Nina."

-

-

7:32 p.m.

I slammed the door in his face.

-

-

7:33 p.m.

"NINA!" Mom yelled, rushing to the door and opening it again. She smiled at Isaac while attempting to do the clasp on her pearl necklace. Gosh, why was she wearing those? It was like we were celebrating dinner with the Ass that broke Karen's heart! "I am so sorry about that, Isaac."

He simply smiled at Mom. "It's no problem, Mrs.—"

"Oh, it's Alexandra," Mom corrected, giggling like a moron.

WHAT THE HELL?!

Was she flirting with Karen's Ass Boyfriend?!

That is not only freaky but wrong and disgusting and it is also bordering along traumatizing.

"Yes, of course." Isaac then handed the roses to Mom, effectively getting her wrapped around his stupid finger – Mom is so easy! "These are for you."

-

-

7:34 p.m.

Mom's giggling.

I never want to hear those sounds again.

-

-

7:36 p.m.

Isaac then turned to me with what looked like a strained smile. I'd think he was nervous if he wasn't a completely heartless Ass who did not feel anything.

Ass.

"These are for you, Nina," He said smoothly, holding out the white box. "I have been told that the shop my brother works at makes the best muffins."

Oh.

That bastard – he just went for my weakness…

He's good.

-

-

7:37 p.m.

"Er, thanks," I replied as coolly as I could, taking the box from him.

-

-

7:38 p.m.

Karen killed the awkward when she stepped into the foyer, making a show of untying her totally clean apron.

"Hello Isaac," she greeted, kissing him on the cheek. "I'm glad you came."

He returned the gesture and greeting.

Sister-dear clapped. "Well, dinner will be ready in about five minutes so why don't you guys go sit down?"

I smiled snidely.

-

-

7:39 p.m.

"Why can't we just eat the take-out from the box?"

-

-

7:53 p.m.

Isaac just footsies-ed me by accident, although I don't think he realizes that that's my ankle.

-

-

7:54 p.m.

Kicked him in the shin.

-

-

7:55 p.m.

Hard.

-

-

9:02 p.m.

What a way to eat a perfectly delicious dinner.

That hadn't been awkward at all.

-

-

10:00 p.m.

MY LIFE SUCKS!

Karen's dating a (Sexy) Ass.

Mom's being a freak.

Victoria's crushing on the biggest jerk ever!

I have closing shift Friday and opening on Saturday.

I still have two more detentions!

Gabe's being like Mom – a complete loser and freak!

And Lover Boy…

LOVER BOY STILL ISN'T TALKING TO ME.

WHAT THE HELL?!

-

-

-

-

-

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 3

-

-

9:04 a.m.

I'm bored.

-

-

9:05 a.m.

"Nina, I'm bored!"

Apparently, so is Victoria.

-

-

9:06 a.m.

"Oh! Let's play Who Would You Do!"

-

-

9:07 a.m.

…Only Victoria.

Sigh.

Only her.

-

-

9:08 a.m.

"Alright, so who would you do…" Victoria looked around the room, scoping for boys to pick. "Gabe or…"

She still has yet to fully take in the Gabe Issue II. She denied it ever happened and said I'm crazy.

Victoria smiled evilly, eyes glinting in a way I wished they wouldn't.

"Lover Boy."

-

-

9:09 a.m.

I should make a list of people who I need to buy dictionaries for.

Lover Boy, so he can look up 'tact'.

Sam, so he can look up 'subtle'.

And Victoria, so she can look up 'secret'.

THAT. IDIOT.

-

-

9:10 a.m.

"VICTORIA!"

-

-

9:11 a.m.

"What?"

She shrugged, acting as though she was innocent. She doesn't seem to realize that sure, while Lover Boy (Ace) was unaware that that is his nickname, she wasn't supposed to talk about him when he was sitting right in front of us, damnit!

"Well?" she urged, poking me. "Who would you do?"

-

-

9:12 a.m.

"Lover—"

-

-

9:20 a.m.

So Ace – I think I should start calling him that now lest he think I'm an even bigger whore than he already does with two other guys in my harem as I flirt his pants off – kindly asked me and Victoria to shut the hell up.

And I don't mean he said it politely.

I mean, as I was about to choose him, he turned around and gave us this dirty look.

"Could you two kindly shut the hell up?" he asked sarcastically. "Some of us actually do our work."

Victoria only gasped indignantly.

I blushed and buried my face in my math textbook when he turned back around.

-

-

9:21 a.m.

I hate my life.

-

-

9:22 a.m.

Not only does Ace think I'm a fatty, but he also thinks I'm a skank and a flirt.

WOE.

-

-

7:34 p.m.

Closing with Ace again.

Sigh.

-

-

7:35 p.m.

I mean, it's not like Sarah can't tell there's this huge storm of awkward raining over us when we work together, so why must she torture me like so?

WHY?!

WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?!

-

-

10:34 p.m.

Yay!

Closing soon.

The awkward shall soon end.

-

-

10:35 p.m.

Damn. A customer.

-

-

10:36 p.m.

Double damn.

It's Isaac.

-

-

10:40 p.m.

"Oh, Nina…" He looked surprised to see me. "I never knew you worked here, too."

I simply flashed him my fake professional smile. "Yeah well, I never knew why you had to dump my sister" – way to be subtle, Nina – "but whatever… what can I get you?"

"Hm." Isaac almost frowned but managed to push it away. "I would like a grandé caramel frappuccino – your sister's in the car – and a tall vanilla latte, please."

With a curt nod I put the orders into the machine, took his money and went to make his drinks.

-

-

10:41 p.m.

I can't believe I'm saying this but it'd be really nice if Ace came out of the backroom now.

-

-

10:42 p.m.

Oh.

Wow.

-

-

10:44 p.m.

Ace frowned at Isaac, not really hateful but still slightly annoyed. "What are you doing here?"

Isaac smirked, taking the drinks from me.

"Just getting some coffee, little brother."

-

-

11:00 p.m.

It took me some time to realize what Isaac said and understand the familiarity between the Ass and my Lover Boy.

Ugh.

Damn…
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to apologize for the slow update! This excuse is over used, BUT I PROMISE THIS IS THE TRUTH. SCHOOL IS HELLLLLL. Really, I want to drop out loool. I want to thank all of you for the comments and feedback and recs and and and everything else. I am warning you now, it will be a few weeks until I update this again!

I LOVE YOU ALL. You guys are my motivation to write. *wink*