Status: Updating regularly :)

Land of Make Believe

Zachary Flynn

"Five, six, seven - down!"

Bart clapped his hands and Daisy let out a breath, crouched on the floor of the rehearsal room, her hot, heavy pants misting the polished wooden floor.

"Bloody brilliant, Ensemble. You just made my morning. Alright, let's break there for lunch - Dean and Emma, see me about a few script issues, right?"

Daisy stretched her arms above her head, picking up her water from the chair she had left it on at the side of the room, then wiped the sweat from her forehead with her discarded towel.

"You've got that number down already. You're good."

She felt a warm flutter at the compliment and looked up to see where it had come from. One of her fellow dancers stood next to her, chugging on a bottle of Powerade. He was tall and slender, handsome in a boyish sort of way, with a mop of untidy chestnut hair that he seemed to be constantly shrugging out of his eyes. They hadn't ever spoken before and she didn't know his name but he seemed to be the only other member of the cast that wasn't bursting with extroversion and ringing with confidence. That wasn't surprising, of course - musical theatre never had attracted the shy and retiring types - but it was good to see someone else in the group had a little of her own shyness.

"Thanks," she smiled, screwing the cap back on her bottle. "I've, uh... been practicing a lot. You're great too."

He shrugged her compliment off with a strange smile - one that wasn't so much modest as completely indifferent. He wiped his hands on his towel and then extended one to her.

"Zachary Flynn."

She liked the way it sounded; almost as though it was familiar to her, although she couldn’t think why that would be.

"... I'm Daisy. Daisy Bourne."

He nodded.

"Want to get some air?"

Outside the building, the January sun was glaring and unforgiving and Daisy pulled her baseball cap down to shield her eyes, as she took a seat on the grass next to Zachary, in the shade of the eucalyptus trees.

"So, Daisy..." he murmured, stretching out on his side and sliding his Ray Bans down over his eyes. "What's your story? Done a lot of performing?"

She picked at the dry grass between them, letting it rain through her fingers.

"Nothing this big. I've been singing and dancing since I was talking and walking and I've done all the usuals. Rocky Horror, Westside Story, you name it..."

"Guys and Dolls."

"Twice."

He chuckled.

"I was kind of sick of amateur productions though. Once I finished school I realised the idea of getting a normal job was just... I needed to be on the stage. It's the only place I ever feel really good about what I'm doing."

Zachary nodded, rolling onto his back to watch the leaves dance against the unblemished blue sky.

"Ah, yeah... reckon you made the right choice. You from WA?"

"Perth born and raised. How about you?"

"Yeah, same. I was pretty stoked when I found out this show was starting its run here though. Since when does Perth ever get first dibs on anything? When auditions began I think I was first through the bloody door."

Daisy smiled.

"Yeah... and Bart's a good director. I like him."

"He's alright."

"You don't like him?"

Zachary folded his arms, continuing to stare up at the sky.

"I think he's alright," he repeated. "I think it would be helpful if he didn't need to jet off to California for long weekends and leave Sharon in charge though, because I don't think she's got a bloody clue."

"Hmm..." Daisy responded, noncommittally.

"So tomorrow morning we've got Saint Jimmy himself swooping in to save the day," Zachary continued, "What d'you reckon to that?"

Daisy bit her lip, brushing the grass from her hands and hugging her knees to her chest.

"I can't even believe it," she admitted, quietly, "He's... I've been listening to his music for... I mean, I can't even remember how long. I guess I can't imagine my life without those songs. And as for him... well, that's a talent. I feel really damn lucky to be able to share a stage with someone I respect so much. I just hope I don't screw anything up... the show’s under enough pressure as it is."

Zachary turned to her, one eyebrow raised.

"He's just a guy, you know. Don't let it make you feel that way. You deserve to be on the stage as much as he does. More so, in fact. He didn't even have to audition."

She laughed.

"It's his musical, Zachary."

"It's his music, yeah. Just because he wrote it doesn't mean he's the best person to perform it. I mean, he's a rockstar, not a stage trained performer. If you ask me, hauling him out from the States wasn't the best solution and Bart did it as a morale booster."

Daisy shook her head.

"Well, he got great reviews in New York. I guess we'll just have to see if he surprises you."

Zachary flopped onto his back again, then gave her a grin.

"I like to see things for myself, Daisy. But I'm willing to be surprised."