‹ Prequel: The Weight of Love
Status: In progress if people still want it!

Tipping the Scales 1

That's also the name of a John Travolta song

Look who's back! Holy crap I feel awful about leaving for so long but I just had so much stuff happen in my life..my cat died, went through another break up, my dog got sick, my mom reappeared magically omfg it was just awful but I'm here again to supply you with the end to this story after a truly awful delay! I'm really so sorry you guys and if anyone is still reading this, thank you <3
XXX

Frank was finished pacing for the night, he curled himself into one of the ugly, plastic hospital chairs that he was pretty sure were for fucking third graders or something because his ass totally didn't fit in the seat. He was still grasping Gerard's hand even though he had to admit that his hold on Gerard's chubby fingers had gotten a little half hearted as the hours went by. He wasn't sure how but he'd even managed to call the shop and tell someone or other what had happened and that he wouldn't be in the next day and maybe not even the day after. He was getting tired and he realized that he'd been staring at the lcd heart monitor screen thing hanging over Gerard's head for the past ten minutes or so. He could hear some beeping and some other droning noises that he'd never associated with Gerard before.
A heart attack. His Gerard had a heart attack.
That's what they said.

Frank fell asleep a litle while later.
-----

"Frankie?" is all he needs to hear and his eyes nap open, Gerard is looking at him with his wide, worried Gerard eyes and Frank jumps out of his chair and is cooing over his lover when a doctor comes in.
"Ok, Gerard, I'm going to let you go home today, big guy, I would recommend you lose some weight but it seems like the heart attack came from the strain of activity so for now I'm actually going to put you on bed rest, okay?"
Gerard sort of wiggles his head around in a way that means he understands and the doctor nods and leaves the room.
Frank is close to tears again and Gerard frowns.
"Frankie? It's ok, I'm ok." Frank huffs out a depressed laugh at that because no, he's not okay, he's in the god damn hospital and that means he's totally not okay, okay?
"It's my fault, Gee. I never should have pushed you to gain so much weight and I never should have encouraged it. I never should have put your health in jeopardy just for my own stupid sick shit and I'm so so sorry."
The look on Gerard's face before it gets blurred out by Frank's tears is something that Frank doesn't think he'll ever forget in his life, even when he's 90, and even if he gets Alzheimers. Gerard has always had an amazingly wide range of facial expressions and they change at the drop of a hat but this was one Frank was sure he'd never seen before. Gerard's mouth opened just ever so slightly, almost as if he was surprised but at the same time as if he wanted to say something and he tilted his head to the side a tiny bit like he was about shake it in disapproval, meanwhile his eyes looked the same way that Frank's mother's had when he was seven and he thought that Daddy leaving was his fault.
"Frank, don't you ever say that again. I don't want to hear it. You don't have so much power over me that I would gain this much weight for you, I wanted to do it too. Now I need to lose some weight to be healthy but I'm going to stay big, Frankie, because it's what we both want. Okay?"
Frank just feels like he's 7 years old again and so he nods and buries his face in the sleeve of Gerard's stupid hospital gown and tries to pretend that he's not crying as Gerard strokes his hair.
They leave together with Gerard in a double wide wheelchair an hour and a half later and Frank feels bad for being quiet and stoic and maybe even a little grumpy but he can't help it, if Gerard notices it doesn't change his mood which is surprisingly great. He sings along to the radio with a big grin on his face as they drive home. Frank's not sure if the good mood is because Gerard just wants to remain optimistic or if its because of Gerard's weird fascination with death. Frank hopes for the former.

When they get to their house Gerard walks to the living room instead of using the wheel chair, telling Frank, "It's fine! Walking twenty feet won't hurt me, Frankie, it'll be good for me!" and sits down on the couch in the living room.
Frank tells him to at least stay sitting on the couch then so Gerard watches with a pouty look on his face as Frank carries their mattress downstairs and slides the coffee table out of the way to put the mattress in the center of the room.
"Frankie..." Gerard starts but Frank loses it at that and shoves the coffee table so hard it hits the wall and the vase sitting atop it falls to the floor and breaks.
"No. Just shut up, Gerard! You're acting like all this is no big deal and it doesn't matter and you're just going to do whatever the fuck you want because that's what you always do! You're like a spoiled little brat and you think that a heart attack doesn't fucking matter because you just don't want it to but that's not how it is!" Frank heads towards him and Gerard's eyes widen in fear and shock, his mouth is hanging open ever so slightly and Frank hears him gasp, "Don't you fucking understand, Gerard!? I ALMOST LOST YOU." He sinks to his knees on the floor just in front of Gerard and grabs onto Gerard's legs. "I thought I lost you."
♠ ♠ ♠
I will try to update asap! I'm really sorry for my failing so hard on this story, I really do feel awful. If you're still here reading then wow, I freaking love you, you're amazing and you have some freaking spirit. Thank you so much <3