Status: FINISHED :D

Teach Your Heart To Talk

Through The Trees

Chapter 8

Ryan’s POV

When Brendon returns he got two pink doughnuts and two blue ones. I raise my eyebrows at him but he just smiles and says that he wants to fatten me up.
“So what do you want to do today?” he asks with his mouth full.
I shrug and he looks around thoughtfully while I just keep eating.
“I know! Let’s go shopping!”
“Shopping? Really?” I chuckle without looking up at him.
“Oh come it. It’s going to be fun!”
“I don’t really want to go out.”
“Oh”
I hear the sadness in his voice but I don’t change my mind.
“Then let’s go somewhere without people.” He suggests and I raise an eyebrow at him.
“Where would that be?”
“I don’t know.” He sighs and looks down. “What do you usually do all day?”
“I sit in my room and read, listen to music and write. Sometimes I visit Spencer and we play videogames.”
“So you don’t go out much.”
“I thought Spencer told you what is wrong with me. What about social anxiety don’t you understand?”
He bites his lip and starts fiddling with his hands.
“I just thought … it would help.”
I watch him while chewing and suddenly he looks happy again.
“You know, I saw this forest when I was out to get the doughnuts. We could get some stuff to eat and make a picnic.”
“A picnic?”
“Yes” he says nervously.
“No”
His expression changes to a pout and then it’s emotionless.
“I don’t really care what you want. We make a picnic and that’s it.” He says almost angrily and I stare at him. “What? You told me to not treat you like you might break.”
I keep staring at him open-mouthed before I start to grin and nod.
“Alright but if we get lost it’s your fault.”
“Of course” he says with a smile.

*

“Do you even know where you’re going?”
“Stop complaining.”
“We are walking for an hour already and I think we came by this tree a few times.”
“Stop, Ry!”
“I knew this was a bad idea.”
“It wasn’t.”
“We are lost!”
“We aren’t fucking lost!”
“We are!”
Brendon whirls around and pinches the bridge of his nose before looking at me.
“Listen, we are not lost. Don’t panic. I’m just looking for a nice place so we can eat something.”
“I’m not eating something when we are lost!”
“We aren’t- ” he stops and groans. “Ryan, we aren’t lost.”
I look around and point towards a weird-shaped tree.
“I remember that tree. I saw it three times already.” I say and Brendon follows me gaze.
Suddenly he doesn’t look so confident anymore.
“We still got our phones.” He says quickly and turns.
He starts walking and I glare at the back of his head, getting my phone out.
“No signal.” I mumble.
“Huh?”
“No fucking signal!”
He turns to look at me again and bites his lip before looking at his own phone.
“So?” I ask.
“Oops?”
“Oops?!”
“Alright, don’t freak out.”
I want to yell at him but that wouldn’t get us of here anyway so I cross my arms in front of my chest and remain silent.
“Let’s just … we should go this way.” He says and grabs my hand.
I frown when he starts to tug me through the trees.
“You don’t have to hold my fucking hand. I’m not a baby.” I hiss and push his hand away.
He glares and grabs it again, almost squeezing too hard.
“Shut up. I just don’t want to lose you.” He mumbles.
I feel myself blush at that and remain silent.
Half an hour later there’s finally a slight change in scenery. We reach a beautiful bright clearing. There’s green grass everywhere and colorful flowers in between.
A smile covers my face and when I look at Brendon I see that he’s smiling too.
“So … picnic?” he asks.
I nod and he lets go of my hand to get the blanket out of his backpack, placing it in the middle of the clearing. He sits down on it and starts unpacking the food. When everyone is sprawled out in front of him he looks up and waves me over.
I run over to him and sit down on the blanket across from him.
“I know you packed strawberries!” I say and he grins sheepishly.
“Oh you want those?” he asks and grabs the strawberries so I can’t reach them.
“Hey!”
He shushes me and holds one strawberry up. When I reach out for it he draws back and shakes his head with a stupid grin so I lower my hands. He holds it out again and I just lean forward and eat it out of his hand.
“So what? You want to feed me?” I giggle and he blushes and nods.

*

Brendon’s POV

Ten minutes later Ryan’s head is in my lap and I’m feeding him strawberries while eating one of the sandwiches we brought.
“Do you think we will get out of this forest?” he asks while chewing.
“Of course”
“What happens if we are still out here when it gets dark?”
“I don’t know. We’ve got the blanket.”
“Nice”
I feel kind of bad for dragging him out here but it’s nice nonetheless. Spending a night out here wouldn’t be too bad. Maybe it would be fun.
I won’t say that though since Ryan would just freak out.
We stay for another hour and then decide to keep going.
When we packed our stuff I grab Ryan’s hand again. He doesn’t complain and lets himself be pulled through the forest by me.
After ten minutes I realize that yes, we are hopelessly lost out here and no, we won’t get out of here anytime soon. I won’t tell Ryan that though.
After half an hour Ryan starts to hum and it calms me a bit. When he starts to sing quietly I turn my head to look at him and smile. He watches the nature around us as if there’s not a problem at all.

*

The sun starts to set and we are still in the middle of the forest. It starts to get gloomy out here and Ryan shakes slightly because of the cold.
“This is pointless.” I whisper and he nods. “Let’s just sleep for now.”
“Wow, I didn’t think it would come to this.” He says and I grimace, letting go of his hand and getting the blanket.
I look around and find a spot where grass covers the ground. We walk over there and I put the backpack down so we can use it as a pillow.
“So we are sleeping in the woods. We have a blanket and a backpack and are just lying out in the open for something or someone to get us.” Ryan states and I bite my lip.
“Just don’t think about it. Let’s sleep and when we wake up tomorrow we will find the way out, I bet.”
“Sure”
He doesn’t sound convinced but I can’t do anything about it. I motion for him to lie down and he does so, followed by me. I grab the blanket and get it over us but it’s not doing much against the cold.
“This sucks.” Ryan whispers and I nod.
Soon it’s pitch-black around us and even I start to panic. There are creepy noises like a branch breaking and leaves shuffling. An owl is yelling around somewhere and Ryan flinches beside me.
I don’t know what to do. I could just turn and wrap my arms around him but I don’t think he would approve. On the other hand, he’s shivering like crazy and could need the exchange of body heat.
I freeze when I realize what I’m doing. I try to find an excuse to cuddle with him.
Fuck
I bite my lip and close my eyes since they are useless in the dark anyway.
“Bren?” I hear Ryan’s weak voice.
“Huh?”
“I-I’m cold.”
Is he testing me?
Help me.
“Uhm”
Before I can say something intelligent he turns onto his side and cuddles close, wrapping his arms around my middle and hiding his face in my shoulder.
I let out a quiet sigh and roll onto my side as well, hugging him close to me. He’s still shaking so I start rubbing his back in a try to warm him up.
I have no idea how long we stay like this but just when I’m about to fall asleep Ryan cries out and my eyes open.
“Ry? What’s wrong?” I ask and he claws at my back.
At first the fear of him having another attack comes over me but when he tightens his grip around my middle that thought vanishes.
“D-didn’t you h-hear that?” he whispers and I listen carefully for a few minutes before I answer.
“What do you mean?”
“I heard something. Do you think there are … people out here?”
“No, just animals.”
“But what if there is a killer out here. I don’t want to die.”
Is he … crying?
“Shh, no one dies. There isn’t a killer out here.”
“You don’t know that.”
He starts sobbing and I remain silent, just rubbing his back soothingly.
“Bren?”
“What?”
“I’m glad you’re here with me, you know.”
I frown but nod.
“It’s kind of nice out here.”
What.
“Uhm, so are you okay now?” I ask and he makes a happy noise and nods into my shoulder.
“Why wouldn’t I be?”
“Because you were crying just a minute ago.”
“I was overreacting.” He giggles.
Okay, something is definitely not right.
Oh, wait.
“Ry, you didn’t take your pills, right?”
“Oh”
“Well, that explains a lot.”
Mood swings. Nice.
Let’s hope I survive this.