Meow, Meow

One

“Rissa, Rissa, come here!”

The screams of my little cousin jolt me into awareness. I jump up from the lounge chair I’m in, my heart thudding inside my chest.

“Tiana, what’s wrong?” I call, running in a panic towards where I last saw the little girl. “Where are you?”

“Over here, Rissa! Come on!”

Again my cousin yells, her voice high pitched and sounding urgent.

The already huge backyard becomes even larger as I dash across the slightly overgrown grass, worry coursing through my veins.

When I finally get over to her I notice that she’s squatted down at the edge of the property, half hidden by a nearby birch tree.

I’m struck with fear.

A million possibilities of something bad that could’ve happened runs through my head like a horror movie.

“Tiana, are you alright?” I ask, frantically grabbing her arm a little too rough in my panic.

The younger girl tries to break away from my hold, explaining, “It’s not me, Rissa. I’m not hurt.”

I ignore her protests and spin her around in my grasp as I search for any cuts, scraps, or bruises. The moment I find nothing I let out a sigh of relief; which soon turns to annoyance.

“Don’t scare me like that, Tiana.” I scold, turning her to look at me.

“Yes, Rissa.” She nods her curly head, her huge brown eyes getting teary. “But look. It’s hurt.” She points.

My eyes follow the direction of her fingers. I gasp, tugging her back away from the animal lying in the grass, near one of the bushes that line the backyard.

It’s a medium sized cat whose orange looking fur is streaked with blood. Its front leg seems to be bent at an odd angle and the rest of its body is badly hurt. Audible wheezes leave its open mouth as the wounded cat struggles for air.

It’s a horrible sound and nearly makes my non-animal-liking heart break.

“We have to help it Rissa, please.” Tiana begs, tugging on my arm and staring at me with her sad eyes. “It’s just a kitty. And it’s hurt.”

I sigh.

“Come on then, before it dies.” I state bluntly.

Her face turns bright and happy. “I’ll get something to carry it in!” She calls leaving my side and nearly skipping towards the house.

I watch as she slips past the patio doors.

Within minutes she bursts from the house with a towel and shoebox in her hands, which she sets down in the grass besides the cat.

I bit my lips, not really wanting to hurt the poor thing. So as careful as I can I pick up the hurt cat and place it into the soft, cushioned cardboard.

“I’m sorry, poor thing.” I whisper, when it makes a long, terrible mewl in pain.

After gently and securely tucking the box under my arm, I jet towards the house to quickly lock the doors. Then not even thinking about putting something actually clothes on, the three of us jump into my car and speed off towards the closest animal hospital I know.
♠ ♠ ♠
516