Meow, Meow

Fourteen

“So you’re the one who’s been keeping the house looking clean, even though I haven’t touched a broom in months.” Narissa’s smooth voice announces on the ride back to her house. “And you’ve been eating up all my snacks.”

I glance at her sheepishly, relaxing deeply into her cushioned seat. “Yeah, sorry about the Ritz sandwich things. I like those. And I had to figure out a way to repay you for all the new toys, organic cat food, and the vet visits.”

“You didn’t have to.” She shakes her head, the corner of her lips turned up in smile, while she drives through the streets at slightly higher speed than the limit posted on the white and black signs.

“But that thanks a lot. Lord knows the house needed some extra cleaning, since I never really have the time.” She pauses briefly. I notice her eyes swivel towards me. “Still, it’s kind of strange knowing you were in my house this whole time.”

Biting my lip, I twiddle my fingers together and run them nervously over my rather long orange tail. “Sorry about that. I really am. I just- I didn’t really know…well, what to do.”

We reach a stop light and she glances over at me in the passenger seat of her car. My face heats up as she just stares at me intensely for a moment, taking in my expression and lingering on my ears before turning away, focusing her eyes on the traffic in front of us.

“Yeah, it’s alright, I guess.” She mumbles, stomping on the gas the second the red light turns green.

A smile creeps its way onto my lips as I stare into my lap, inhaling her scent deeply.

The rest of the ride is pretty much silent, which gives me time to momentarily push away the growing, embarrassing urge pulsating through my being so that I can rack my brain for the perfect spell to protect her house from the Tracker’s ability, and to figure out how I could possibly get her to come back with me.

The minute we get to her house Narissa begins to rummage around, almost absently, checking her house phone and other things. I go ahead plop myself down in the dead center of the tiny house I’ve already started to consider my own home, even though I know full and well it’s not.

“How long is this going to take?” Narissa steps into the living area. I glance up at her. Even though she has a relaxed demeanor, I can still tell she’s anxious about something.

“Fifteen minutes at the most.” I admit.

“Alright,” She hesitates, leaning from one foot to the other. “Well, I’m about to shower, so don’t mind me.”

With these words, I can hear her footsteps lead her to the back part of the house, where her room and the bathroom are located.

Closing my eyes again, I relax my physical body and focus on calming my breathing to a steady rate. While I do I feel the air around me becomes charged and thick with magic, making my hair lift off my shoulders.

Instead of the usually blankness, I see the sparks of magic color dance behind my lids. Smiling to myself, I begin to harness the magic energy inside me and anywhere around me. A soft, nearly silent stream of ancient words leave my lips as I weave together the threads of magic energy.

As I finish the spell, reality sets back in. I can sense Narissa standing not too far behind me. Panting slightly, I turn, looking up at her, taking in her shapely figure since she’s in nothing but a short bath towel.

“Wha-what was that?” She asks her eyes wide with amazement.

“Magic.” I smile, tentatively lifting myself up from the floor like an elderly grandmother.

She rushes towards me as I stumble slightly, reaching out blindly to keep myself upright. “Ohmigod, Penny are you aright?”

“Yeah,” I breathe, clutching onto her happily even though I really don’t have the need for that much support. “Just a little winded. That spell wasn’t the simplest, but it’s pretty darn effective.”

She holds me nonetheless, guiding me over to the kitchen and into one of the simple wooden chairs besides the window I’m always looking out of while in cat form.

“Wait, I’ll get you something to drink.” She states, scampering towards the cooking area of her kitchen.

I see her bend over, making the towel rise even higher, as she reaches in the fridge. Heat rushes to my face, but I steady watch as her fingers brushing against a pitcher of green tea before switching it to water. She pours the crystal clear liquid into a glass, handing it to me.

“So, the more complex the magic you use, the more tired you get.” She says, more as a comment than a question as she leaves my side and goes over to the pantry, reaching in to produce a box of those cracker sandwiches I’ve been swiping from her while here.

“Here you go,” Literally, shoving them in my hand, she moves to sit down in the chair next to mine.

Without really meaning to, I notice that her legs are slightly askew; then, her expression shows embarrassment when she realizes that she’s only in a blue towel and snaps her legs shut.

“Thanks,” Deciding not to add to her shame, I don’t mention this, but correct her previous statement. “That’s not entirely true, about magic. It’s the more exertion you put into it, rather than complexity alone that causes fatigue.”

Her lips purse together as she thinks. “So it’s like exercise. The more work you put in, the more calories you burn even if you’re doing the same steps.”

I nod, my lips curling upwards at her clever analogy. “You also have to consider general health beforehand, the type of charm being performed, the person’s skillfulness, and other factors. But generally speaking, yeah.”

She opens her mother to say something, but the sound of her phone going off stops her. “Sorry,” She mouths before she hops up from her chair, heading back towards the bathroom.

Not wanting to eavesdrop on her conversation, I turn my ears away and focus on other things, like the untouched glass of water and crackers in between my fingers.

I’m finished two sandwiches and her glass of water, when she finally emerges from the back, wearing a pair of black skinnies and a semi-sheer blouse that shows off her chest. Her hair is hanging in delicate coils about her face.

I inhale, attempting to swallow down the feelings bubbling up inside me.

Standing in front of me, she runs her fingers through her still damp looking hair. “Umm, so I have something to go in a little bit.” She admits, hesitantly.

I shift towards her, my words flooding from my mouth. “Please, come with me. I know you don’t want to, but please. I only want to protect you. That’s it. I’m not going to kidnap you or anything like that. I would never do anything to harm you. I just- I just don’t want you to get hurt because of me.”

By the time I’m finished, I’ve face to face with her, my hands at the side of her arms, gripping her desperately. She looks up at me slightly shocked, her eyes wider than before.

She opens her mouth to say something, but closes it again, looking away from me. With my hands on her, I can feel her body weight shift from foot to foot as her chest rises and falls quickly.

The moment lengthens, and I try to persuade her with my eyes, my emotions, sending her invisible vibes.

Eventually her gorgeous round eyes make their way back to mine, flickering with something that I can’t really place. Her willful demeanor visible falters as she takes a step towards me, leaning in slowly.

My noise tingles at her smell, goosebumps rise on my fair skin. I inch my face towards her, my whole body aching to feel her russet skin pressed against mine.

“Please.” I gasp, pulling her into me and wrapping my slender arms around her curvaceous form.

Her body remains tense at first, but she doesn’t pull away from me. Soon, her body melds into mine. I can feel her bring her arms up slowly, pressing against my sides lightly before engulfing me.

Just by the closeness of our bodies I can feel the pound of her heart in her chest. I rub patterns into her back, trying to communicate with her and tell her that I can keep her safe, that I would never hurt her, and that coming with me is the best option at the moment.

“Sorry.” She breaths, sending a thrill up my back as her warm breath lingers on my skin. “I really want to go with you and stay. I really do. But I can’t. I won’t.”

“Why?”

She leans away from our embrace to look me in the face. Her lips form a persistent straight line and her caramel eyes are hard.

“I already told you. I can’t drop everything for someone I just met. Let alone a shape shifting cat-girl.” At her final words she yanks herself from my touch, stepping several feet away from me with her hand rested on her left hip.

I literally want to throw her over my shoulder and haul her out the door. That’s how bad I need her to come with me. Without her being in my sight, I don’t know what could happen. And if I were able to feel her being hurt, who knows if I could make to her in time.

“If that’s what you want,” Sighing heavily, I give in, knowing that forcing her into something would never work. “But before I leave I need something of yours to make a shielding talisman for you. It has to be something that you’re willing to have on you all the time. Maybe jewelry?”

Her expression goes quizzical. She bites her bottom lip, thinking. Seconds tick by before she finally turns and goes to her room. Upon return she has a pair of simple sterling silver studs in her hands.

I purposely brush our hands together as take them from her. She snatches her hand away quickly.

Smirking to myself, I reach up to my own ear, unclipping the earring attached to cartilage. The little earring is light in my hands but holds a very special meaning.

“Here,” I hand the piece of jewelry to her, dropping it delicately into her palm, feeling a little empty. “It’ll protect you. So please keep it on.” I inform her before turning quickly to head towards the door.

“Wait,” Her voice stops me in my attempt to remove myself from the intensity of being near her. I pause, turning to face her.

“Umm, so I-I’ll see you tomorrow, right?” She questions lowly with what I think is a hint of fear and hesitation.

“Of course.” I smile, closing the space between us again. “I care about you. I’m not going to just leave you. Whether you decide to fully accept me as your mate or not. I’ll always protect you.”

Knowing that a kiss would be the farthest thing from appropriate, I reach out and grab her hand, intertwining our fingers and squeezing tightly.

Her lips separate and quivers slightly before she mumbles, looking at the ground, “I-It’s strange and I don’t know why, but I really care about you too. Overly too much, especially for someone I literally met hours ago.” Inhaling deeply, she looks up at me, returning the pressure of my hand. “And I promise I’ll be careful and wear your earring.”