Meow, Meow

Fifteen

“For an action movie that was pretty good.” I comment as Chris and I file out of the dimly lit theater room and into the lobby where groups of people are standing around waiting in lines.

"Me either." Chris admits, grabbing the popcorn box from my hand and tossing it into the trash. He flashes a smile my way, lightly gripping my waist and leading us towards the lobby exit.

Outside the setting sun peaks from behind the clouds, sending its rays streaking across the sky, making everything look orange, purple, and red. It makes for a nice scene that at any other time I wouldn't mind staring at.

“Where to next?” I ask, casually trying to wriggle away from his grasp.

“You’ll see.” Chris wriggles his dark brows suggestively as he finally shifts away from my side to open up the passenger side door of his older brother's new mustang.

I arch my brow, stepping inside, careful not to hit my head against the metal door frame like I've been known to do.

Slamming the door after me, he crosses to the other side, hopping into the car and revving up the engine. We speed out of the parking lot in direction that I’m not totally familiar with.

As we sail across the sea of cement and stop lights Chris begins to really talk to me for the first time since we sat down for the movie. He’s a little OCD when it comes to theater etiquette so he strictly forbade me from even commenting on the movie while it was playing.

He asks me about my day, my life, my future, my feelings. He’s being incredibly sweet and super flirty.

Usually I wouldn’t mind. His attention is always something that I like and sometimes even look forward to when I’m feeling like a total loner. But today, I just don’t know. It feels weird.

As he drags the conversations on I try to stay as attentive and engaging as possible, however, it’s really hard when there are a thousand thoughts at the back of my mind.

Do I go with her if she asks me again? Will she? I'm beyond confused.

I want to go with her because I know deep down that she has the best intentions and that she really cares. On the other hand I can't just stop everything in my life to go with her. Plus, I’d only be adding to the list of things she has to worry about in her crazy situation.

Then there’s the minor issue of the fact that I’m definitely starting to feel some sort of way towards her. And I’m not entirely to sure if that’s a good or bad thing.

“Fuck me.” I groan out loud in frustration, yanking my fingers through my hair.

"Now? Really? I didn't know you were so adventurous." Chris says, throwing me a look that suggests he wants to get into my pants. Right now. His hand even creeps away from the wheel to sneak across my lap.

"Not so fast." Clicking my tongue, I push his hand away. Dropping the thoughts swirling in my head, I decide to turn in my seat, leaning against the armrest between us.

"I can be patient. Some things are worth waiting for." A seductive smile splays on his lips.

"Mmm, why yeah they are." I murmur as I reach out to playfully run my fingers along with chest.

With a serious face he reaches out with one hand to grasp mine, folding it in his. "And I'll wait for a lifetime if that's what you want." He states firmly as we pull up to a red light and he turns to look at me with his gorgeous eyes and his perfect skin.

Looking into his face, into his sincere expression, butterflies fly around in my stomach, making me feeling queasy and guilty all at the same time. I don't know if he's being serious or not. And this scares the crap out of me.

"Whatever you say, Chris. Don't play like you don't fuck a new girl each and every night." I quip, regretting that fact that I put my hand on him in the first place.

"Not because I want to." He mumbles, barely even audible.

Afterwards the car is suddenly filled with awkward silence. During which I turn to look outside noticing that we're riding down the not-so-familiar streets of Johnsonville. It's a bit larger than Clinton and much more business oriented with it's all the brick and marble buildings of its downtown area.

"It's not like..."

"I just wanted..."

Chris and I both begin to talk at the same time interrupting each other. We turn and smile at each other before chuckling together, the weirdness ebbing away slightly and the playfulness coming back.

"We're here." He announces suddenly making me jump a little. Looking outside once again I notice that we're in the parking lot of a place that I've been dying to go to for a while but just haven’t had the money.

"Shisha." I squeal happily as he ushers me inside to a private section packed with several of my smiling, already tipsy friends.