Meow, Meow

Twenty

The pain, it’s near unbearable. It takes everything in me not to scream out in agony. The only thing that really holds me together is her words, they echo in my head as her face floats around in my vision. Her curly hair, her silky skin, her perfect features.

At least she’s okay. She’s healed, perfectly fine outside the grasp of my past. Without having to deal with Elric again, which was my only other option is I couldn’t heal her.

It was tricky sorcery. His dark curse had clawed its way into hers and woven tightly around her. Not only did I have to rip his magic away, but I had to fix the carnage that this left behind, which was no easy task. I had to thread my magic directly into hers.

It was stupid irrational, dangerous, and against most of the magical rules of both mages and witches, but hell I wasn’t just going to let her die. And I didn’t want her to have to deal with Elric again. One time was obviously enough.

Thankfully it worked. Narissa is healed and here I am, laying in the middle of an evoked pentagram, fighting to keep my consciousness, which was gets to be an impossible feat. My eyes drift open and closed on their own accord as I swirl in and out, lost in a haze of magic and pain.

Without even having to focus I can see it. The magical energy that is naturally woven into the threads of my being, just like in everyone else, is weak. Instead of the brilliant colors it usually takes on the magic is dulled, faded. Like me. Telling me what I’m close, too close to death.

“I’m here, Penelope, I’m here for you and I’m not leaving. Ever. I’m not going to reject you.” Again her words echo in my head, my heart warms and I feel my lips turn up in a smile.

She’s going to be okay. This thought in itself calms and relaxes me, way more than Rhea’s soft voice which interrupts my thoughts every so often as she recites the words that I can vaguely recognize as a healing charm. This is an incredible feat since it feels like I’m being ripped to shreds from the inside out, every bit of my energy being drained as it happens.

My mother’s blood in me makes me fight to stay conscious, not wanting to give up so easily even though I know there’s only going to be one outcome. But eventually I can’t hold on anymore and there’s nothing left I can do but give up and drift again into darkness.

-

“Penny, Penny are you okay? Penelope…”

A voice calling my name, edges me into semi-alertness. The thick heavy blankets on my eyes finally rise. It takes me a moment to focus, but once I do I see Narissa kneeling by my side on the couch, which I don’t remember getting on.

Concern clearly etched into every feature on her face, giving her an intense look about her.

“Narissa?” I sigh, noticing instantly that I am feeling a little bit better.

I can no longer see the lights of the magic floating around me, which is good, but that still doesn’t mean I’m out of the woods yet. I can still feel the weakness of my magic. It’s faded, dull. Not a good sign. At best, my friend has only slowed the process down.

For a brief second my eyes swivel towards Rhea and Laurel. Rhea has a stricken look on her face as she paces around Laurel, who seems as passive as ever. My eyes lock with hers and she nods slightly.

Inhaling, I focus my attention back on Narissa. “I’m fine,” I lie quickly, to keep her from the harsher truth, the truth all the rest of us magical beings know.

A creeping smile breaks up the intensity of her worry, “I’m glad,” She exhales, reaching out slowly to run her fingers along my hairline in a gentle touch.

My heart speeds up and I can feel my face flush despite the draining of my energy. Slowly, I reach my hand up and press it against hers.

“I love you,” I whisper barely even audible to my own ears.

Her eyes grow wide and stares at me like a fish out of water. A weak chuckle escapes my lips, I smile, “It’s okay, you don’t have to say it back. I just wanted you to know it and that meeting you has been the most amazing thing that could ever have happened to me.

Slowly she leans down closer, fingers wrapping tightly around mine. “I…Penelope…”

Tears well in my eyes, and a strangled gasp escapes my lips. I can’t help it. I don’t want to leave her, I don’t want to leave Narissa. I want to be with her more than anything in the world, if she lets me. But I’m not going to let her become apart of one of my list of mistakes, which includes thinking I could just run away from the man that has become master. As long as she’s safe and alive I don’t care about the rest.

I’m not going to let you be hurt again…

Sucking back my tears, I try to steady my emotions, “I’m sorry about coming in and causing all this. That was never my intention- to hurt you.” Using the little strength that I do have, I push myself up into a sitting position and stare her straight in the eyes, “I truly am, and I hope that after all this you can move on and be the most amazing teacher in the world.”

The sadness that wells up in her yes is heart wrenching. Her whole body begins to tremble and she grips my hand so tightly that I can feel the sting of the pain. “Penelope…” She nearly sobs, tears starting to slip down her cheeks, which I move to push away with the fingertips of my free hand.

She opens her mouth to say something, but nothing comes out except a choked mumble of words that I can’t even decipher. Instead she leans down and presses her check against my chest in a way that nearly sends me over the edge with the same emotions I know she’s feeling- loss and total sadness.

“Why, why did you do it?” Rhea’s voice is now thick, and pitchy as she rushes to the couch suddenly, hovering over me. Her powers surge from her, affected by her own torrent of emotions. Her anger, her sadness, her helplessness, I can feel it crash over me in waves and I know everyone else in the room can do.

“You knew what it would do; you knew it and you did it anyway! We could have thought of something. We could have come up with a plan!” Her fingers grip me by the shoulder and shake me rather rough.

“I had to. I wasn’t go to let her deal with him again.” Now I’m irritated. How could she question me?! How dare she?! She’s my friend; she’s supposed to be supporting me.

Narissa shifts, rubbing away her tears. She turns to Rhea, her face scrunched up like she’s about to say something, but before anything else can happen Laurel steps in, gripping Rhea tightly, by the arm and jerking her away.

“Calm down, babe,” She grinds into my friend’s ear, just loud and assertive enough for the girl to instantly stop.

“Sorry, Penelope. And Narissa,” She adds notices the look on her face, “I-I just…I don’t…You’re my friend… And…it’s not working…”

My heart goes out to her. I feel bad, so bad and so guilty. In a way it’s selfish, that I didn’t think about her. But my mate comes first. Above all else and nothing was going to change that. Least of all now.

“I know, Rhea, and I’m sorry,” I breath.

The dark headed girl shakes her head, raising her hand to her mouth. She wriggles from her lover’s grasp and kneels down besides Narissa, who is staring on with watery eyes and slightly trembling lips.

Rhea and I are sharing a look between friends when Narissa stands up quickly, “I’m not going to let you do this, Penny, I’m not,” She declares, making my eyes and attention swivel over to her, “You’re not going to sacrifice yourself for me so you can just give that up right now.”

She looks like a caramel skinned guardian angle with a whole of black hair framing her face. Her fingers are curled into fists and expression matches the tone in her voice, steeled over, determined.

"What can heal her? The person who did it?" She asks, turning to Laurel.

“At this point…even he can’t even do much. It would take nothing short of a miracle,” Rhea laments in place of her lover, clutching onto me tightly, her face flushed and her eyes tearing up. Then it’s like she gets the greatest idea ever as her expression relaxes her lip twitches up in the slightest hint of a smile, “And who exactly are known for miracles…”

“Angels..." I finish for her, my eyes widening to the size of silver dollars. I was so wrapped up in saving Narissa, I didn't think about it...It was a long shot, a really long, long, long long shot, but...Maybe...

Turning to her, she looks at me eagerly, her lips creasing into smile. My heart twinges at the thought of leaving of her by herself. Now that there's even the tiniest possible, I realize that I want to be with her more anything. But not at her own expense. I'm going to protect her and if this only way that I can make certain then I don't care.

Laurel speaks up from where she has moved off to the side, hidden in the shadows of the candles that are still lit, “The next best thing is a nephilim and we all know there’s only one of those in North America.”

“Where?” Narissa turns slightly, her hair falling across her face, obscuring it from my vision.

“Luka’s estate.”

The whole place is suddenly silent. Narissa stands there and you can tell her mind is reeling with everything, with the reality that she also knows. The truth we all know. With the words that I hardly believe are coming from my friend’s mouths.

My own head is throbbing, my thoughts and emotions beginning to spin. I want to be with her so bad. I want to hold her at night, I want to kiss her, and tell her that everything in her life is going to be alright. But I want to protect her more. I can’t let anything else bad happen to her. Not because of me.

"No," I breath, with as much force I can, "It's not going to work."

"What-what are you talking about?!" Narissa quickly crosses the space between us, practically shoving Rhea out of the way as she kneels back down in front of me, "I know you want to protect me and I appreciate it, I really do, but...you can't die, I'm not letting you do it."

"You don't understand what these people are capable of..." Her gaze is intense as I stare into her hazel brown hues. Absently, I reach and capture a piece of her hair in-between my fingers.

I’m going to miss this…

"I don't care. I want to go through this with you. I don’t care how dangerous this is or whatever and frankly it’s really not your choice."

Her breath is hot on my face as she leans down, bringing her face inches from mine. Surprising me, she presses her lips to my cheek in a quick, chaste kiss, “You’re saving me, but don’t, don’t do it. I want you to be here. Be here for me.”

Suddenly Narissa gets up, turns and walks away, towards the front door.

“No, wait, Narissa, wait,” I’m hit with a buzz of adrenaline induced energy, making me shoot up from the coach, but before I can stop her from doing exactly what I know she’s going to do, Laurel is stepping in my path and she’s out the door, the wood slamming open as she hurtles herself outside.